Please explain why this is not a penalty

simpleman

I was watching the Dallas/Denver game. The receiver was standing in the back of the end zone. With his back to the ball, the defensive player shoved the receiver out of the back of the end zone with two hands. The receiver caught the ball but it was ruled incomplete, since the receiver was out of bounds. The official was standing right there watching the play. Can someone tell me what rule there was that allowed this to not be a penalty?

Why would it be a penalty? The receiver must come down inbounds. The defense is allowed to force them out

I must say I didn't see the play. Perhaps it happened differently than I am envisioning

Edited by FluffHead

I was watching the Dallas/Denver game. The receiver was standing in the back of the end zone. With his back to the ball, the defensive player shoved the receiver out of the back of the end zone with two hands. The receiver caught the ball but it was ruled incomplete, since the receiver was out of bounds. The official was standing right there watching the play. Can someone tell me what rule there was that allowed this to not be a penalty?

Because Peyton Manning. It was bs. He could have easily made a play had he not been shoved out. Illegal contact at the very least.

It falls under 506A1 of the NfL Rules and Regulations, mainly pertaining to blind officiating. There's also a sub-rule that allows the official to say to himself "I can't believe I just saw that" and decline to throw a flag. There are a lot of strange NFL rules, not the least which allows one official to tell another, "just give it to them".

There was also a blatant horse collar that wasn't called against Denver during a sack of Romo. I understand missing calls but both of these were impossible to miss.

Simms said his hand wasn't inside the jersey or pads of Romo, hence no horse collar.

Simms said his hand wasn't inside the jersey or pads of Romo, hence no horse collar.

I thought it was strange that Simms said that, because it sure looked like his one hand was inside the pad to me.

That was the weirdest part, the ref was on top of the play and it was clearly a penalty. Hope that clown gets a vision test this week.

That's what I thought, but the ref was right there watching the whole play 10ft away so I thought there might be some new rule this year I was not aware of.

Was it just me, or was there a noticeable lack of replays by the TV crew? Or was it because of the incredible pace of the game? We never got to see a good view of the uncalled "horse collar", so it was hard to judge.

It was great seeing two QBs and receivers on both teams who actually could pass and catch the ball. It is great fun to see two teams shoot it out, especially when you don't have a horse on the field, so you can just enjoy the QB duel.

I thought it was strange that Simms said that, because it sure looked like his one hand was inside the pad to me.

Lately anything that is close to horse collar has been drawing flags from refs..

I was shocked they didn't flag it.

#romoiscursed. A great qb with a bad legacy. D needs to help him once before he retires.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

The rule book states that because the defensive player in this situation did not play for the Bills it was not a penalty. If it had been a Bills defender then a flag would have been thrown for either illegal contact or pass interference. Typically, this is called late in the 4th quarter when the favored team needs a score to get back into the game. LOL..

Almost every game there are pass interference calls and illegal contact calls and non calls that might be called in one game but the very same play would not be called in another. Even in the same game, refs make calls and then ignore seemingly the same penalty later in the game. Refs are human being and make mistakes. Some refs are clearly better than others and hopefuly the league grades these guys and replaces the bad ones. In all reality, a team needs to beat their opponent bad enough so that the bad calls can be overcome. Look at the Bills/Pariots, week one. The Bills were called for holding several times but the Patriots got away with holding at times when I believe the replay showed them holding.I believe certain teams get the benefit of the doubt over others in the minds of some refs. Again, human nature. Is it right? Of course not, but this is the way it is.

No one wants to complain about the pushoff from the Dallas WR on the two point conversion? I'm sure plenty of people will say that that play was no big deal, but if it was Gronk against a Bills defender, people would be up in arms.

There are lots of missed calls in a game, and almost every one of them is right in front of an official, because there are lots of officials and they put themselves in positions to be able to see as much as possible.

Did the NFL also contact Romo and tell him to choke late in another game by throwing an INT? Or is that just who Romo is?