Bills open to trading Byrd

Jdragon2

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This management group does not look functional. The Byrd mess....should have traded him earlier. the Qb mess, absolutely no foresight. Whaley and Marrone do not seem to have the stones for the job. Only one looking competant is Pettine. And, of course, Brandon is also implicated here. I think Littman is the carrier of the bad decision impetitus, however. Brandon will never be in charge until LIttman is gone and replaced by Brandon's own man.

Of course, Byrd wanted to make a miracle recovery to play on national TV on Thursday night......selling himself to the other NFL personnel that were watching. Glad Marrone sat him. Personally, I would have activated him, and used him as a gunner on the punt team. Lets see if he can run and hit. But, with all of two days of full speed work, I also was not convinced he was ready to play a new defensive scheme.

Edited by bigK14094

How many times are the Bills going to let Eugene Parker rake them over the coals and ultimately end up trading a top talent. I agree the situation is untenable at this point, but they end up losing a game changing player in the process.

'bout time! Waiting until now was a VERY crafty move. I'm sure we can get at least a 4th round pick for a Pro Bowl safety who everyone knows won't sign with us next year (not sure if they want to go through the holdout drama and wind up paying him approximately 8.3 million--120% raise he would get for being tagged twice--if I'm not mistaken)).

@AdamSchefter: Bills know wisest course of action is to trade franchise S Jairus Byrd and they now are open to dealing him, per sources. Talks ongoing.

As of a few days ago, bills apparently did not know this. From "Inside the Bills" on buffalobills dot com (I can't link to it, but if you search there you'll find it)

"Bills GM Doug Whaley has no intention of trading S Jairus Byrd and that’s what he told veteran NFL reporter Dan Pompei.

In an interview with Pompei he was asked if he planned to trade Byrd. This was Whaley’ response.

“We have not discussed trading him, and it isn’t anything we are pursuing,” said Whaley. “We would listen to any call on any player, but we’re looking to get him back on the field.”

The only reason I can see Whaley revisiting this, is not because "Bills know wisest course of action is to trade franchise S J Byrd", but because something has changed.

What has changed? The Bills now need a QB, a punter, and a LG to make the season work. Simple answer would be there's another team's player the Bills would like at one of those 3 positions, and said team is interested in Byrd as part of the deal, maybe because they need a FS to make their season work.

Let's say it's a QB. Any idea what QB might be "on the block" and what team might be willing to deal their #2 for a FS?

Edited by Hopeful

@AdamSchefter

Bills know wisest course of action is to trade franchise S Jairus Byrd and they now are open to dealing him, per sources. Talks ongoing.

8:56 PM - 6 Oct 2013

This IMHO is stupid and terrible news

Sends a bad message to players.

Gives Byrd what he wants way before his value is UP where it should be. (day one pick)

We honestly could use him.

We already ARE giving big bucks for the year.

They must be trolling for a decent QB in a trade.

That is all I can think.

Edited by bowery4

How many times are the Bills going to let Eugene Parker rake them over the coals and ultimately end up trading a top talent. I agree the situation is untenable at this point, but they end up losing a game changing player in the process.

This is a big boy business. Bills are rebuilding (and now that is even delayed) and Byrd is in his prime. This is a direct result of blowing everything up in the off season. Not saying that wasn't the right thing to do, but they had to know there would be unintended consequences. This is one of them.

But at what cost? Since he was tagged is it a first rounder?

It's whatever they'd be open to accepting. Rumors around here from a reliable poster was that the highest offer in August was a 4 I believe, as a reference point.

Everyone is open for a trade- no safety in the league is off limits and nearly no player would refuse 100% of trades. Editors shouldn't accept the term "open to a trade" as it's worthless. Either they are seeking it or they are not.