Bills open to trading Byrd

Jdragon2

This also explains, IMO, why Byrd was reportedly cleared to play vs the Brownies and Marrone (likely at the advice of Whaley) chose to sit him.

Good point. That whole thing seemed fishy to me. He was a full practice participant, no reason he could not have gone out there.

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who knows maybe Freeman is not an option.

I would like Kyle Orton or Kirk Cousins

Maybe even Bruce Gradkowski (I think the Steelers connections are there for that). But for Byrd? I want picks too.

Cousins would be nice, but he is still only a 2nd year guy. Has looked good but very limited PT. Would like some more experience if possible. Gradskowski not a bad one and Orton is a wild card, good experience but some bad performances, That said, we aren't going to get a franchise QB for Byrd. And we don't need one.

Yup...been suggesting this since EJ went down during the summer. Their starting safety went down around the same time, they were scrambling for somebody. We could get Nassib, and another hiigher draft pick (2nd or 3rd) maybe for Byrd...though the Giants may be thinking it is too late for that now. Their season is on life-support.

And what would a FS do to the Giants or any other team on the brink? Byrd is a player you bring in on a team to build around. A positional player that will hold down the fort in his area so you can work on the other parts.

Who knows maybe Freeman is not an option.

I would like Kyle Orton or Kirk Cousins

Maybe even Bruce Gradkowski (I think the Steelers connections are there for that). But for Byrd? I want picks too.

What would they offer this year for our team? What would they do for us in 2 years? I have a hard time believing if that would be more or less then Byrd.

This also explains, IMO, why Byrd was reportedly cleared to play vs the Brownies and Marrone (likely at the advice of Whaley) chose to sit him.

Good point, but I wonder if Marrone has a philosophy about players returning from injury. With EJ he stated he needed to get a certain number of practices in before deciding to let him start the opener. Since Byrd has been working primarily the scout team and was not a full participant until Tuesday of last week, could Marrone have applied the same standards and felt two full practices were not enough to play against Cleveland?

Look, you have an injured safety who doesn't want to be here and won't be here next year (unless they franchise him again at an even higher number).

His trade value is more if you wait and you have sent a message. You don't bend over easy

And what would a FS do to the Giants or any other team on the brink? Byrd is a player you bring in on a team to build around. A positional player that will hold down the fort in his area so you can work on the other parts.

What would they offer this year for our team? What would they do for us in 2 years? I have a hard time believing if that would be more or less then Byrd.

I agree we should hold on to him IMHO, just better pickings than FAs. I can't imagine being happy about them trading him now.

According to many draft experts, the bills took Bryd before we should have been taken and he has turned out to be a very good player. So I know its a business, but there still can be some sense of loyality. He still is making out pretty good regardless. Anyway if he does not want to play for the bills they should continue to make him inactive, if they can't get what they want in a trade. Next year, they should place the transition tag on him, and let someone else determine his value and then proceed from there. The coach staff sees him everyweek and knows what he can do and what he is worth. If he sits out all year that won't help his overall value with another team next year, and he will likely receive offers lower then what he wants..

Bills need a QB badly. Pat White & Dennis Dixon? May as well bring in Betty White & Donna Dixon. Now it comes out that they are open to trading Byrd. They were waiting until he was healthy. I bet it happens tomorrow. Three that I thought of: Giants need a safety. Nassib (Obviously knows Hackett/ Marrone and the offense) and a draft choice for Byrd. Raiders might sign Freeman. They sign him and we trade Byrd to the Raiders for Flynn and a draft choice. Steelers- Gradkowski or Jones for Byrd and a draft choice. They get a QB that is better than any of the free agents out there, not a starter but someone actually on a roster and a draft choice. Plus they are rid of the Byrd headache. Makes sense.

Wouldn't the Bills pick up a 3rd round compensatory pick next year if they were to lose Byrd via FA. If they trade him for anything less than a 3rd it'd make no sense at all. Honestly your team isn't going to get better in the long run if you're in the business of trading Pro Bowlers away for mid round draft picks. Byrd is a very very good player and I'd rather have him on the team this year and next year (for $8.2 million), than take a mid round draft pick. Also shipping him out basically concedes the fact that once again Eugene Parker has outplayed the Bills. Need to put an end to these negotiation tactics so that it doesn't happen with other players down the road

Further thoughts. Byrd cannot be happy about this, either. Happy that he could be traded. This reeks too much that Parker is putting pressure on the situation because they want Buffalo ready for war this offseason.

If Byrd gets traded he could go to a number of bad teams with big problems. A team with a horrible defense that would not be able to help him succeed. Going to Jacksonville he will get 8 or 9 games to show off his talent. He will be depended upon for a big time year and it will be hard to get your head in the game in this situation. At the end of the year JVille can franchise him. He gets locked up there. Or he could go the FA route and end up fighting for less money then he would get waiting until the end of the year and working out a deal here.

He has 1 year on his deal, goes to Team X and gets franchised.

This could be a huge backfire in Byrds face and in his shoes I would rather stay in Buffalo.

According to many draft experts, the bills took Bryd before we should have been taken and he has turned out to be a very good player. So I know its a business, but there still can be some sense of loyality. He still is making out pretty good regardless. Anyway if he does not want to play for the bills they should continue to make him inactive, if they can't get what they want in a trade. Next year, they should place the transition tag on him, and let someone else determine his value and then proceed from there. The coach staff sees him everyweek and knows what he can do and what he is worth. If he sits out all year that won't help his overall value with another team next year, and he will likely receive offers lower then what he wants..

The transition tag no longer exists (under the new CBA). Franchise tag is your only option, but the team can consider less compensation than the mandatory picks.

The Bills took a chance on a UDFA TE from Arkansas. Helped him develop into a Pro Bowl Tackle, who held out until he was traded to the Eagles. Loyalty appears to be non existent to some players and some teams.

These same experts said that the second round was to high for Kiko Alonso this past year.

I agree though, the Bills should hold onto him until they can get fair value in a trade even if it means waiting until the offseason.

Wouldn't the Bills pick up a 3rd round compensatory pick next year if they were to lose Byrd via FA. If they trade him for anything less than a 3rd it'd make no sense at all. Honestly your team isn't going to get better in the long run if you're in the business of trading Pro Bowlers away for mid round draft picks. Byrd is a very very good player and I'd rather have him on the team this year and next year (for $8.2 million), than take a mid round draft pick. Also shipping him out basically concedes the fact that once again Eugene Parker has outplayed the Bills. Need to put an end to these negotiation tactics so that it doesn't happen with other players down the road

Well put, If they do this and get really bad value, I may have to go to the dark side and some on the board will hate me. I will also have to friend some people on my ignore list. Yuk!