Byrd Full Participant at practice today

Ha! I was thinking the same thing. Plus I find it amazing that according to him he just got orthotics this week.

"I just got some really nice, expensive orthotics made last week," he said. "It's helping a lot. Shout-out to the training staff on that."

How does someone who battled this for a full season and had a whole off season with apparent pain just this week get orthotics?! Its on any website as a recommended course of treatment for his issue. You are telling me his doctors would not have recommend them?

I think they should keep him out till next week, just to be safe ;)

with the amount of injuries on this team, I'm beginning to wonder about our training staff. Just got him orthotics?!?!?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Franchise him in 2014. IG he plays this game keep him inactive. Put him or short term IR.

Marrone not playing him Thursday is a football decision. Not a business. He is a coach. Not a manager. Money has nothing to do with Marrone...unless you consider Marrone wants a job so he is best served playing his best players. Where Byrd falls on that list on a short week is ???

But this is not personal. Its business. This is not football. This is business.

He is not going to be franchised again. From an organizational standpoint it would make no financial sense. If they franchise him again then it is a recognition that they should have given him the contract he wanted from the beginning.

The injury he has is a tough injury to get over. I realize that my view on this issue is a minority view but I agree with him that he shouldn't play until he is ready to play. Most people on the outside think he is faking it. What one hasn't heard so far is the people within the organization complaining that he isn't doing everything he needs to do with respect to treatment and his limited/cautious practice routine.

Byrd is not off on his own sending in reports on his condition. He is working with the training staff within the organization and doing everything he can to get ready to play. Even Russ Brandon has publicly stated that he regularly sees Byrd and has noted that he is diligently doing everything he can to get better and get back into the action. Not only is it in Byrd's self-interest to get healthy but it is also in the team's interest for him not to prematurely get back on to the field.

Byrd is known to be a quality and responsible person by everyone who has dealt with him. The team wouldn't have franchised him if they thought he was the type of person who would act out of spite. Byrd is acting prudently to protect his interest in this situation. He is a strong enough and smart enough person to not allow the assaults on his integrity prevent him from doing the right thing for himself.

Eh. You're just trying to make me like him again. I'm going to stay stubborn on this one and HATE him... To me he's Tyrd til he proves otherwise.

He will need to have success on the field (as a Buffalo Bill of course) and have 31 believable postgame/pregame/during the week interviews (in a row) for me to like him again...

It was a weak attempt at a pun...His name is spelled "Jairus" but a lot of people used to spell it "Jarius"...I chose to spell it incorrectly and add several "I's" because it seems Jairiiiiius is in it for himself (rather than the team)...just my opinion.

I can dig it...

How do you figure that, unless you know that he wanted a two year deal with no signing bonus and $15.2m in guaranteed salary? Because that's precisely what it will have cost the Bills to tag him again next year.

GO BILLS!!!

The Bills from their own perspective, not the player's perspective, will not franchise him again. It would make no fiscal (cap sense). If they did do that they are acknowledging that he is a premier player at the top of his position. What do they do in the third year? Franchise him again? Of course not.

The end result is obvious. After this year he will be playing for another team. Just as Levitre walked out the door, so will Byrd. It's business, nothing more or less.

The Bills from their own perspective, not the player's perspective, will not franchise him again. It would make no fiscal (cap sense). If they did do that they are acknowledging that he is a premier player at the top of his position. What do they do in the third year? Franchise him again? Of course not.

The end result is obvious. After this year he will be playing for another team. Just as Levitre walked out the door, so will Byrd. It's business, nothing more or less.

They will franchise Byrd if only to extract compensation in trade. You can't assume you'll get a decent compensatory pick from losing him. That's assuming anyone would offer something decent for Mr. Pussyfoot. How ironic if Byrd winds up signing a deal for millions less than what the Bills offered him?

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Wouldn't it be fiscally advantageous in the sense that they never have to pay a huge signing bonus? Also if Byrd does get seriously hurt or just flat out stinks up the place, they do not lose that signing bonus money if they do cut/ trade him?

He is not going to be franchised again. From an organizational standpoint it would make no financial sense. If they franchise him again then it is a recognition that they should have given him the contract he wanted from the beginning.

The injury he has is a tough injury to get over. I realize that my view on this issue is a minority view but I agree with him that he shouldn't play until he is ready to play. Most people on the outside think he is faking it. What one hasn't heard so far is the people within the organization complaining that he isn't doing everything he needs to do with respect to treatment and his limited/cautious practice routine.

This seems to be the talking point for the three of you that somehow think what Byrd is doing is morally right.

What would you ever expect to hear from within the organization on this?

It's obvious the Bills already recognize him as a premier player.

The reason they wouldn't franchise him a 3rd time is because they would have to pay QB money at that point. Franchising him again next year only necessitates the mandatory 120% increase over this year. $15.2m over two years is a bargain for the Bills for an elite safety.

Assuming, of course, he has the integrity to want to go out and prove just that.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

They will franchise Byrd if only to extract compensation in trade. You can't assume you'll get a decent compensatory pick from losing him. That's assuming anyone would offer something decent for Mr. Pussyfoot. How ironic if Byrd winds up signing a deal for millions less than what the Bills offered him?

PTR

How is franchising him again going to improve his trade market value? There is little that can be done to improve his trade value before the season ends, especially since he is working on a one year contract. The end result is that he is going to walk at the end of the season with the Bills getting little (compensatory pick) in return .As a free agent he will go to where he wants to go.

The Bills didn't even bother negotiationg with Levitre. When he walked away creating a hole on the line the orgnanization replaced him with a much cheaper and less able player. The scenario is going to be repeated with Byrd.

Anyone who thinks that the Bills are going to franchise him at $8.2 M in order to spite him is deluding themselves. Cash is King!

It's obvious the Bills already recognize him as a premier player.

The reason they wouldn't franchise him a 3rd time is because they would have to pay QB money at that point. Franchising him again next year only necessitates the mandatory 120% increase over this year. $15.2m over two years is a bargain for the Bills for an elite safety.

Assuming, of course, he has the integrity to want to go out and prove just that.

GO BILLS!!!

If they franchise him for two consecutive years they are paying him at a premium price. They are not getting him at a discounted price. You have to take the two years as a unit. A two year deal at $15.2 is a high end deal. Then in the third year he is a free agent again.

My position, as you know, is that the parties were not so far away in an initial three year contract deal. The context was that the Bills were $20 M or more under the cap. They let Levitre walk away without bothering to negotiate with him. There was plenty of cap space to get a deal done. What to many seemed like a wide chasm was not in reality not much of a gap that couldn't be closed.

It doesn't take much of an imagination to see how this scenario is going to be played out. He is going to be a free agent at the end of the year and he is going where he wants to go. It is certainly not going to be a team located in western NY.

If they franchise him for two consecutive years they are paying him at a premium price. They are not getting him at a discounted price. You have to take the two years as a unit. A two year deal at $15.2 is a high end deal. Then in the third year he is a free agent again.

My position, as you know, is that the parties were not so far away in an initial three year contract deal. The context was that the Bills were $20 M or more under the cap. They let Levitre walk away without bothering to negotiate with him. There was plenty of cap space to get a deal done. What to many seemed like a wide chasm was not in reality not much of a gap that couldn't be closed.

It doesn't take much of an imagination to see how this scenario is going to be played out. He is going to be a free agent at the end of the year and he is going where he wants to go. It is certainly not going to be a team located in western NY.

A high end deal? At an average salary of $7.6m? Year two of the tag is still a bargain for them no matter how you slice it.

GO BILLS!!!

How is franchising him again going to improve his trade market value? There is little that can be done to improve his trade value before the season ends, especially since he is working on a one year contract. The end result is that he is going to walk at the end of the season with the Bills getting little (compensatory pick) in return .As a free agent he will go to where he wants to go.

The Bills didn't even bother negotiationg with Levitre. When he walked away creating a hole on the line the orgnanization replaced him with a much cheaper and less able player. The scenario is going to be repeated with Byrd.

Anyone who thinks that the Bills are going to franchise him at $8.2 M in order to spite him is deluding themselves. Cash is King!

levitre never expressed interest in resigning. OG is a lot easier to replace. $8.2mm is worth franchising him. It prolongs the need for safety. He will play next year. I bet he will come back this year and play at a very high level.

I still believe he signs a long term deal with buffalo.

It is more. It is a player holding his breath while his agent sits behind his desk waiting for his next check to come in. It will happen again unless the Bills make the right business decision which in this case if franchise him again. If not, you and I will be having this exact conversation on another player in a couple years.