Byrd Full Participant at practice today

I see why you might take it that way, but it's not as devious as perhaps my initial post made it sound. Byrd's condition has been consistently improving if you look at his practice participation and injury status, and with this being a prime time game it's a great opportunity to get back out there in front of the other 30 teams who might be bidding for his services.

I truly believe Byrd is a good guy and is struggling with the conflict between his desire to be on the field with his teammates and the pressure likely being put on him by his agent (and family) to not put himself at risk.

He's not struggling at all with any conflict. Nothing, and I mean "NOTHING" he has said has suggested anything but being totally at ease with taking care of his foot and not playing until he's "100%." Apparently, even though he practiced yesterday, he is still a little "achy."

The only conflict he has is whether or not he can keep a straight face when he has to look one of his teammates in the eye.

GO BILLS!!!

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I see why you might take it that way, but it's not as devious as perhaps my initial post made it sound. Byrd's condition has been consistently improving if you look at his practice participation and injury status, and with this being a prime time game it's a great opportunity to get back out there in front of the other 30 teams who might be bidding for his services.

I truly believe Byrd is a good guy and is struggling with the conflict between his desire to be on the field with his teammates and the pressure likely being put on him by his agent (and family) to not put himself at risk.

I'm not a doctor, but...how does one have a condition in 2012 and play through it. Take 6 months off, no contact and come back and be unable to play? There will be no grand opportunity for him because he will be franchised again next season if the FO has an ounce of stones.

I'm not a doctor, but...how does one have a condition in 2012 and play through it. Take 6 months off, no contact and come back and be unable to play? There will be no grand opportunity for him because he will be franchised again next season if the FO has an ounce of stones.

I believe he played through the injury last year in the hopes of securing a big-money long-term deal with the Bills (or another team). I also believe that this year he is unwilling to play through the same injury because he sees no incentive to do so. Again, just my supposition, but I believe that he no longer feels that the Bills have any loyalty towards him, and thus doesn't feel any loyalty to them.

If it's true that Byrd doesn't want to play for the Bills anymore, then what purpose does franchising him again serve? Unless it's solely to trade his rights to another team, I don't see the point. Why pay >$8 million for a guy who you think dogged it or faked or embellished an injury? There's no reason to expect that a 2nd year on the franchise tag will produce a more loyal or motivated Byrd. There's also no reason to expect his contract demands to come down. And if it's about sending a message, how good a message does it send to the rest of the players on the team? "If you don't play by our rules, we will do everything we can to ruin your career." Sweet.

I am suspicious that plantar fasciitis is another in a long line of chronic pain syndromes that are largely psychosomatic in origin. Like the ubiquitous lower back pain, carpal tunnel syndrome, fibromyalgia. Not that the pain is not real or debilitating or that there are not real physiological events occuring--I'm just saying that I think there are many conditions where the origin is psychological, not structural and that plantar fasciitis may be one of them.

Byrd should read one of Dr. John Sarno's books, realize that his foot is structurally sound and get on the field.

I believe he played through the injury last year in the hopes of securing a big-money long-term deal with the Bills (or another team). I also believe that this year he is unwilling to play through the same injury because he sees no incentive to do so. Again, just my supposition, but I believe that he no longer feels that the Bills have any loyalty towards him, and thus doesn't feel any loyalty to them.

If it's true that Byrd doesn't want to play for the Bills anymore, then what purpose does franchising him again serve? Unless it's solely to trade his rights to another team, I don't see the point. Why pay >$8 million for a guy who you think dogged it or faked or embellished an injury? There's no reason to expect that a 2nd year on the franchise tag will produce a more loyal or motivated Byrd. There's also no reason to expect his contract demands to come down. And if it's about sending a message, how good a message does it send to the rest of the players on the team? "If you don't play by our rules, we will do everything we can to ruin your career." Sweet.

How is a guy with a condition that doesn't improve with 6 months of rest worth $9M/yr?

PTR

He is not going to be franchised again. From an organizational standpoint it would make no financial sense. If they franchise him again then it is a recognition that they should have given him the contract he wanted from the beginning.

The injury he has is a tough injury to get over. I realize that my view on this issue is a minority view but I agree with him that he shouldn't play until he is ready to play. Most people on the outside think he is faking it. What one hasn't heard so far is the people within the organization complaining that he isn't doing everything he needs to do with respect to treatment and his limited/cautious practice routine.

Byrd is not off on his own sending in reports on his condition. He is working with the training staff within the organization and doing everything he can to get ready to play. Even Russ Brandon has publicly stated that he regularly sees Byrd and has noted that he is diligently doing everything he can to get better and get back into the action. Not only is it in Byrd's self-interest to get healthy but it is also in the team's interest for him not to prematurely get back on to the field.

Byrd is known to be a quality and responsible person by everyone who has dealt with him. The team wouldn't have franchised him if they thought he was the type of person who would act out of spite. Byrd is acting prudently to protect his interest in this situation. He is a strong enough and smart enough person to not allow the assaults on his integrity prevent him from doing the right thing for himself.

Franchising him again and running the risk of proverbial 'boo boo foot' can hurt both sides:

- Jairus sits and lets his body get out of shape/skill

- Jairus loses potentially (more) money if he signed

- FO gets distracted from other personnel decisions and negotiations

- Bills spend money with no return

- Potential bad blood in the locker room

While I understand your reasoning behind taking a hard line, I am hoping Parker and Byrd realize they have much to lose and little to gain in the long run.

Byrd is known to be a quality and responsible person by everyone who has dealt with him. The team wouldn't have franchised him if they thought he was the type of person who would act out of spite. Byrd is acting prudently to protect his interest in this situation. He is a strong enough and smart enough person to not allow the assaults on his integrity prevent him from doing the right thing for himself.

I am not sure we have evidence to support his frame of mind and his strong intent to play as you have portrayed above. I am not being saracastic - I truly havent heard anything to support (or refute) this point of view

I am not sure we have evidence to support his frame of mind and his strong intent to play as you have portrayed above. I am not being saracastic - I truly havent heard anything to support (or refute) this point of view

There you go again, looking for things like evidence and reasoned opinions.

I am being sarcastic.

Great point by Beerball...... the cure for PF is rest, and Ice. It's a management condition. I dealt with it in college too. It sucks when you get up in the morning, and flares up when you start to tighten up. Once you're loose, you're good to go. That being said, with a 6 month offseason and access to the best medical treatment and rehab available, it shouldn't have been much of an issue to start the year.

One of those "National TV" miracles......................I guess.

Ha! I was thinking the same thing. Plus I find it amazing that according to him he just got orthotics this week.

"I just got some really nice, expensive orthotics made last week," he said. "It's helping a lot. Shout-out to the training staff on that."

How does someone who battled this for a full season and had a whole off season with apparent pain just this week get orthotics?! Its on any website as a recommended course of treatment for his issue. You are telling me his doctors would not have recommend them?

I think they should keep him out till next week, just to be safe ;)

Edited by cklapka

The injury he has is a tough injury to get over. I realize that my view on this issue is a minority view but I agree with him that he shouldn't play until he is ready to play. Most people on the outside think he is faking it. What one hasn't heard so far is the people within the organization complaining that he isn't doing everything he needs to do with respect to treatment and his limited/cautious practice routine..

It's not an 'injury'. It's a condition. An easily treatable condition. One that *any* doctor after six months of a problem would recommend injection and/or surgery. Byrd just now got orthopedics. I'm not sure how people believe that Byrd's team doctor's and his outside doctor aren't aware of these treatments.

The injury he has is a tough injury to get over. I realize that my view on this issue is a minority view but I agree with him that he shouldn't play until he is ready to play. Most people on the outside think he is faking it. What one hasn't heard so far is the people within the organization complaining that he isn't doing everything he needs to do with respect to treatment and his limited/cautious practice routine.

There was a story out just yesterday or Monday that said the Bills are getting frustrated and believed he could have played by now.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/23910699/tension-mounting-with-injured-star-safety-jairus-byrd-bills

"Some within the Bills organization believe he could have already played this season, and that growing disconnect is creating mounting tension between the sides."

Edited by cklapka

He is not going to be franchised again. From an organizational standpoint it would make no financial sense. If they franchise him again then it is a recognition that they should have given him the contract he wanted from the beginning. ...

How do you figure that, unless you know that he wanted a two year deal with no signing bonus and $15.2m in guaranteed salary? Because that's precisely what it will have cost the Bills to tag him again next year.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

Unless the cycle is broken we will be in the same position with another player in the upcoming years. The purpose it serves is to show a player that the Bills are not going to be walked on (Clements and Peters come immediately to mind). Deal with us in good faith and we'll do the same with you...meanwhile we will use the letter of the law (CBA) to our best advantage.

Interesting take.... Don't know for sure where the 'I' in his name goes...

It was a weak attempt at a pun...His name is spelled "Jairus" but a lot of people used to spell it "Jarius"...I chose to spell it incorrectly and add several "I's" because it seems Jairiiiiius is in it for himself (rather than the team)...just my opinion.

I am suspicious that plantar fasciitis is another in a long line of chronic pain syndromes that are largely psychosomatic in origin. Like the ubiquitous lower back pain, carpal tunnel syndrome, fibromyalgia. Not that the pain is not real or debilitating or that there are not real physiological events occuring--I'm just saying that I think there are many conditions where the origin is psychological, not structural and that plantar fasciitis may be one of them.

Byrd should read one of Dr. John Sarno's books, realize that his foot is structurally sound and get on the field.

Agree completely. I had chronic back pain for years until reading Sarno's book.