The kicking game: Powell/Carpenter

YoloinOhio

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Powell - not a good showing. the 29 yarder? Need to work on that, I anticipate field position being huge this week

Carpenter - aside from the missed 42 yarder against the Panthers he has been very good. Kickoffs also. Do we really go back to Hopkins when he is ready?

It is going to be very hard to cut Carpenter for Hopkins at this point.

PTR

Powell - not a good showing. the 29 yarder? Need to work on that, I anticipate field position being huge this week

Carpenter - aside from the missed 42 yarder against the Panthers he has been very good. Kickoffs also. Do we really go back to Hopkins when he is ready?

i was asking this question myself yesterday. As good as Hopkins may be. We really have no idea if he can get it done inside the swirling winds of The Ralph. I feel like either we keep them both and slowly work Hopkins onto the field starting with knockoffs. Or we just put him on IR and keep Carpenter since he has been spectacular so far. And I love his Stevie Christie style hair cut.

1) Need to find a replacement for Powell. No use having a big leg, if you choke so bad in critical game situations. This happened several times last year, as well. By the way, I recall that he was an ace at directional and coffin-kick punts; I would venture to guess that he is close to the league-leaders in touchbacks.

2) I am okay keeping Carpenter, but only because of his mullet and cheese-stache.

I'm ready to look at new punters as well. I think Powell is a choker. Seems when you absotively, posilutely have to have a clutch kick, he pulls one out of the shank kit. And he lacks touch as well. Field position is just too important of a commodity.

GO BILLS!!!

Check out Peter King's MMQB this morning. He quotes some guy who has his all-NFL team thus far. Dan Carpenter is the kicker on the team.

With the # of rookies playing key roles on this team, I think Kicker is one where it makes sense to stick with a vet as long as he continues to be reliable.

I miss Moorman!

Eh, I hate that we care so much about punters. I loved moorman when he was he, but he is in decline. That said, Powell is shaky as hell. Carpenter was a really good K at one point. I wanted to see what Hopkins could do but I'd be nervous to mess with Carpenter. Plus, his mullet is awesome.

How do you get that? Powell is 13th is punt average right now.

PTR

The long average is not a true indicator of how good a punter is. He could be punting 50-60 yarders, but if he is kicking them into the endzone all the time he's not doing a very good job. I think Powell has pretty much been a disaster this season and at points yesterday I thought he might cost us the game.