Manuel had another rough outing

zazie

Bottom lines are bottom lines- a win is a win is a win. Sitting in that stadium yesterday at around 4 pm, I was waiting for the inevitable to happen and it didnt. That makes 2 out of 3 close games that they managed to win, WIth that being said, EJ did not look all that great yesterday. He did show poise, but nobody should be anointing him the franchise guy yet.

I think we are just going to have to be paitient. Barring any major set backs, we are not going to find out if this is the guy until a year or two down the line. So far, I would grade him out as a "C plus" but with two wins you could put him in the "B" range.

All in all, for the first time in many years there is hope.

Now if they could only get the shitters fixed!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone else seem to notice that Stevie and EJ don't seem to have great chemistry as of yet? It seems like there are small pockets of the game where EJ really tries hard to get the ball to Stevie and they don't always click? I'm not judging at all, just yesterday it seemed like the pick that went through SJ's hands and a little prior to that, EJ seemed to really focus on SJ? I was at the game so I don't have the benefit of watching replays at home (forgot to DVR), but just curious if anyone saw that it almost appears at times he's trying to force some throws to SJ?

No rose colored glasses here. I like EJ but he has shown serious accuracy issues, especially the past two games. What I see is somewhat similar to Fitz. One nice throw followed by throwing a slant well behind Stevie on 3rd down, under thrown deep balls and a throw in the dirt or two. On Stevie's tip for a pick, Manuel guns it but it's high and that's what frequently happens. Bring that throw down and its not a pick. Sorry, but that was more on EJ than Stevie. what makes the great ones is the ability to consistently put the ball where the receiver not only makes the catch, but can also have a shot at some RAC yards. EJ has his work cut out for him.

Edited by Spiderweb

Whose stat line is this, his first year with the Bills? Record 4-12, att/comp 285/480, 22 TD, 17 INT, 43 sacks, rating 83.3? (Hint, team was 1-3 in first four games, not 2-2).

Let's just take it easy; EJ may or may not become what we want and need, but it's way too early to tell. Let's enjoy watching him grow and learn.

Comparing rooke QB's of today to those 10, 20 or 30 years ago is entirely wrong. This league is now set up for young QB's to find success early.

EJ, with his random accuracy, choppy footwork and lack of pocket presence would have looked utterly hopeless as a rookie in the NFL of a decade ago. He is afforded a whole lot more room to grown in the new NFL.

I think the deal with him is that he has a vast amount of untapped talent, but he is not only making the mental mistakes he is also battling a somewhat awkward body. He is a big guy who is kind of all arms and legs and like a tall pitcher in baseball I think he is having a hard time harnessing his motion. And it's not just his feet, he seems to struggle with using his entire arm to make throws. His motion seems muted, like he is trying not to really cut loose because he is concerned about losing control on his throws. That is the way he looked at FSU and that is the way he looks now.

As it is, he also clearly appears hampered by his bad knee in the running game and that is an aspect that young QB's like Russell Wilson and Kaepernick have used to accelerate their productivity while they are learning to pick apart NFL defenses from the pocket. EJ has been an absolute negative in run game, from his ill conceived slide on third down near the goal line yesterday to his bumbled snap that Stevie recovered to his general lack of big plays with his feet. Clearly not the same player running the ball that he was at FSU last year. That is a shame because that would have helped him a lot this year.

I thought this was easily EJ's best game. The one int was all on Stevie. That pass hit him right in the hands. EJ's biggest enemy today was his WR's. Lee Smitg falling, Woods with a key drop or two/foot placement, Chandler missing his feet, and everything that Steve Johnson did.

The inverse is, I think today might have been SJ's worst game of his career.

Don't forget Stevie saved the game for us by pouncing on Manuel's "hot potato" fumble late in the game inside our own 30 yard line...that was a key play in the game...they easily tie it or win it with a TD if they recover that ball...

On a side note, EJ's stats are better than Russell Wilson's through the first 4 games...

I thought EJ looked great, when he was drafted as every one and their mother knows he was considered a project that might take a year or two like Kaep. Instead he has shown everything mentally you want in your QB and his issues have been footwork, his production so far is right on track for where we want it. He threw 2 INT's yesterday, one can be put on SJ for deflecting it and the other was him not setting his feet and throwing it deep, no matter how strong his arm is unless he sets his accuracy is gonna be garbage. He needs more reps and practice time but everything is indicating that he will learn, the only thing I worry about is the Bills FO getting him some more support next year. We need some interior O-line and another good TE like Colt Lyerla or Sefarian-Jenkins and a big bruiser for those 3rd & 1's would really help EJ yet.

Weird... I can't believe you don't have an issue with EJ randomly dropping the ball on two separate occasions... That seems like an issue to me...

+ 1

That's the FIRST thing I would work on fixing.

IMO

EJ is making throws we have not seen since Bledsoe was here. EJ is also making mental mistakes at times that are based in being a rookie we hope. Personally I like where he is and think he has the ability to lead a team with his talent and character. I also think we will see EJ and Woods become a very dangerous tandem for years. SJ is a great WR but you can already see the difference in raw talent between SJ and Woods. If Hackett can develop his play calling and game plan, EJ will thrive as well.

EJ is making throws we have not seen since Bledsoe was here. EJ is also making mental mistakes at times that are based in being a rookie we hope. Personally I like where he is and think he has the ability to lead a team with his talent and character. I also think we will see EJ and Woods become a very dangerous tandem for years. SJ is a great WR but you can already see the difference in raw talent between SJ and Woods. If Hackett can develop his play calling and game plan, EJ will thrive as well.

Agree to some extent. A lot of bad things happens when is throws. His "badness" percentage is very high. Not since Rob Johnson have I seen the numbers

as high. He is a rookie, but you can't have the INTs, fumbles and sacks, AND have a completion % just above 55 %. You just can't.

He seems to miss a lot of open receivers also. How do you fix that.

I do like him at this point however, still.