Winter is coming, and it's going to be bad

boyst

Should I start a Spring is Coming thread so I can make sure everyone knows what is predicted?

Here are a few:

If a flat land is holding water in late winter it is going to be a dry spring.

If you're planting your garden, put the above ground crops when the moon is full or new, and rooting plants in when the moon is between.

If you see a honey bee before the last frost you will have a cold Spring.

edit: And for those who like to say the Farmers Almanac means nothing, it has been proven as fact that it is right 52% of the time.

Those make sense.

1. Ground is frozen... So a cold pattern is set up. Cold air holds less moisture

2. Full moon gives off lots of night time light... I guess I could figure out the root thing.

3. No crap... It was warm to get the bees out and then last frost means it got cold again... Hence: cold spring. :-P

Those fall in line like: "Red sky @ night, sailor's delight. Red sky in the morning, sailor take warning." You can probably figure the scientific reasoning for that too. Hint: Sun rises in the east, sets in the west. Weather (in northern hemi) generally moves west to east.

Of course now... All these are not hard rules. But, if you are an idiot (I send the royalties to you Tom) you won't look to the reasoning and just blindly think that they hold true.

I don't slam the Farmer's Almanac... Its all they had to deal with. A lot of it can be reasoned through science. 52% is just over half... LoL... That is awful!

:-)

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those make sense.

1. Ground is frozen... So a cold pattern is set up. Cold air holds less moisture

2. Full moon gives off lots of night time light... I guess I could figure out the root thing.

3. No crap... It was warm to get the bees out and then last frost means it got cold again... Hence: cold spring. :-P

Those fall in line like: "Red sky @ night, sailor's delight. Red sky in the morning, sailor take warning." You can probably figure the scientific reasoning for that too. Hint: Sun rises in the east, sets in the west. Weather (in northern hemi) generally moves west to east.

Of course now... All these are not hard rules. But, if you are an idiot (I send the royalties to you Tom) you won't look to the reasoning and just blindly think that they hold true.

I don't slam the Farmer's Almanac... Its all they had to deal with. A lot of it can be reasoned through science. 52% is just over half... LoL... That is awful!

:-)

#2 is gravitational. The moon pulls moisture from the soil to the plant or something

#2 is gravitational. The moon pulls moisture from the soil to the plant or something

Interesting. Cool. Just off the top of my head I thought more light would stimulate roots. But I guess that is dumb, roots like the ground and mositure.

Now tomatoes, don't they say bury the first set of leaves or something? ??

I never knew that tulip bulbs had to experience a freeze to bloom. They come poking through the last of the snow in Buffalo.

In the flat areas of CA you have to put them in the freezer or they won't bloom.

I never knew that tulip bulbs had to experience a freeze to bloom. They come poking through the last of the snow in Buffalo.

In the flat areas of CA you have to put them in the freezer or they won't bloom.

Very interesting Wacka! Is that the perennial trigger that makes them come back to bloom? So after they bloom, can you put them in a freezer and then replant them to bloom again and again without having to wait?

I think daffodils, krokus, hyacinth too? I sometimes see them poking through the snow in our garden (grap hyacinth and daffodils).

a lot of fruit trees are like that, too. Apples must get a certain cold temp, Cherry's must get below freezing for a certain period, and a few others. Its called breaking them. If they don't break they won't fruit

Very interesting Wacka! Is that the perennial trigger that makes them come back to bloom? So after they bloom, can you put them in a freezer and then replant them to bloom again and again without having to wait?

I think daffodils, krokus, hyacinth too? I sometimes see them poking through the snow in our garden (grap hyacinth and daffodils).

I don't know. I heard a local (SF area) garden show and someone was complaining their tulips wouldn't bloom. The host said to put them in the freezer.

I guess there is a blizzard warning to 2am, in Buffalo... Travel will be almost impossible this evening... Here we got about 8 inches of very wet, concrete like snow... But it is sunny and 27 now... Gonna be in the 50's on Friday... Heat wave! LoL...

Stay safe all!

Expecting 1 to 2 inches per hour until 8pm...about 2 feet in total. F&$ck my life!!!

And if it is anything like the snow we got, look out! I plowed all this morning @ work and it was literally bogging down the John Deere tractor... I had to take small bites...

I don't know. I heard a local (SF area) garden show and someone was complaining their tulips wouldn't bloom. The host said to put them in the freezer.

Well... We totally had a freeze here. I think we almost to the areas frost line this year... About 3 feet.

We have these tulips under our maple tree. Don't know how the bulbs got there, but they spring up every year. We call them the "rogue tulips." Literally, nothing else is around... Except grass and tree and these these tulips. Last a squirrel took off the blooms... Time to get a BB gun!

All roads in Livingston County will be closed to all but emergency vehicles at 3PM today (15 minutes).

Just got to work (live and work in Monroe County), hoping roads are passable at midnight!

Wonder what happens to people going home from work after 3PM - is that emergency travel? Do they arrest you?

All roads in Livingston County will be closed to all but emergency vehicles at 3PM today (15 minutes).

Just got to work (live and work in Monroe County), hoping roads are passable at midnight!

Wonder what happens to people going home from work after 3PM - is that emergency travel? Do they arrest you?

maybe if you're lucky you could start a fundraiser? Walk for bail money?!