Winter is coming, and it's going to be bad

boyst

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After that big winter storm in Chicago a few years back. They said: "The next winter is gonna be even worse! Everybody is a gonna wanna (I know, bad English) move after the next winter belts the area!" Guess how that winter played out? LoL... Very mild and like under the average of snow for this area... I think we get something like 40" a year on average.

LoL..

• 4 months later...

How is the summer looking.

A bad cold winter was 1994. Summer of 1995 in Chicago, I think the mercury hit 105 or so.

BFLO and other places are microclimates, they will get their piles of snow. Regionally this year, there is so much snow cover through the middle of the country it can't be helping when the cold air comes diving down???

Right now, we are @ 62". With another 8" starting to fall right now. This is the snowiest winter in Chicago since 1978-1979 when they got 89", we might break that record!

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it is still Winter. Over 100,000 NC residents remain with out power since Thuraday's ice storm. We are one of them. About 35-40 houses on a two mile stretch of country road. They have power behind us and in front of us. And to the side and other side.

Greensboro, High Point, and Burlington all have tens of thousands without power now.

Going on 72 hrs without power.

Well, it is still Winter. Over 100,000 NC residents remain with out power since Thuraday's ice storm. We are one of them. About 35-40 houses on a two mile stretch of country road. They have power behind us and in front of us. And to the side and other side.

Greensboro, High Point, and Burlington all have tens of thousands without power now.

Wow. Must have been a bad storm to knock Greensboro all the way back to the 1960's.

Yeah... Tom, I didn't think that 100,000 North Carolinians had power to begin with, that's a lot! They must be stepping up from the 1960's. Isn't Tobacco Road nothing but dirt floor shacks? We learn something new every day!

^_^

That is like three medium size suburbs here and my town of 10,000. :P

Greensboro /Guilford Co/high point have over 35,000 still without power as of 8am. Greensboro isn't that smart anyway. The international museum of civil rights got a grant from the city and the city never had them sign the contract. Now the museum doesn't want to pay them back because they're about to go bankrupt.

The total is supposed to be under 100k now.

The reasons it was so bad:

We hadn't had a severe storm in a while to clean the dead branches and vulnerable limbs off. They all fell at once.

The storm dropped 2"+ of ice with 2" of rain and mixed snow

50 mph wind gusts

Edited by jboyst62

They are calling for a big storm in Buffalo on Wednesday and into Thursady... With a foot of snow... And this isn't a watch, its a warning... So it is most likely coming!

Almost up to 60 degrees and sunny here today... Spring is in the air! LoL...

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Should I start a Spring is Coming thread so I can make sure everyone knows what is predicted?

Here are a few:

If a flat land is holding water in late winter it is going to be a dry spring.

If you're planting your garden, put the above ground crops when the moon is full or new, and rooting plants in when the moon is between.

If you see a honey bee before the last frost you will have a cold Spring.

edit: And for those who like to say the Farmers Almanac means nothing, it has been proven as fact that it is right 52% of the time.

Edited by jboyst62