Winter is coming, and it's going to be bad

boyst

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate modern weather forecasting. I really do. I remember not too long ago they actually told you the weather. I remember the weather channel being reliable for weather forecasts and important storm information and something you could hang your hat on. I remember Van Denton telling us the truth about the weather and I remember local weather guys breaking down what is going to happen and when with it happening just as such.

Now, they don't tell us anything. Now I cannot even go to a website, look at my phone, or watch TV without a sissyfied warning about wind, or maybe a little bit chilly, or a fire warning, or some stupid warning that means jack schitt.

I want to find out how much rain is going to be coming the rest of the evening. My home weather station reports .47" falling currently at a rate of 1 inch every 11 hours with 98% humidity and temperatures falling steadily. I know enough to forecast my own forecast now but that doesn't do much for what I am going to be doing the rest of the week. Plus, I look at wolly-worms, simmon seeds, and which way the rain is falling.

It is absolutely silly to me that weather makes such headlines right now, all the time.

:censored:

I hate modern weather forecasting. I really do. I remember not too long ago they actually told you the weather. I remember the weather channel being reliable for weather forecasts and important storm information and something you could hang your hat on. I remember Van Denton telling us the truth about the weather and I remember local weather guys breaking down what is going to happen and when with it happening just as such.

Now, they don't tell us anything. Now I cannot even go to a website, look at my phone, or watch TV without a sissyfied warning about wind, or maybe a little bit chilly, or a fire warning, or some stupid warning that means jack schitt.

I want to find out how much rain is going to be coming the rest of the evening. My home weather station reports .47" falling currently at a rate of 1 inch every 11 hours with 98% humidity and temperatures falling steadily. I know enough to forecast my own forecast now but that doesn't do much for what I am going to be doing the rest of the week. Plus, I look at wolly-worms, simmon seeds, and which way the rain is falling.

It is absolutely silly to me that weather makes such headlines right now, all the time.

:censored:

Huh? The weather forecasts were spot on for the whole week and ahead last weekend... Been that way the whole winter! We headed up 500 miles to Lake Superior to see the iced in sea caves that everybody was talking about... Ice reports, everything were spot on! Temps and skies stuck to the forecast to a tee. It helped big time! I didn't want to pull a Clark Griswold and drive 500 miles and have the National Parks Service say: "Sorry, ice changed... Nobody is allowed to hike the lake."

I mean really... I think your beef is just about TOO MUCH information. The info may not be useful to you, but somebody can use it. Forecasting has been VERY accurate... Almost too perfect. I understand your "wussified" reports angle... That's just is what it is. Like Lake Superior... They closed down the hiking from the beach, out onto the lake last night @ midnight... Just to be proactive!!... With the huge influx of people in such a remarkable year... Why risk it... It has already been up and running for longer than anybody could every remember! From what I saw, you could easily still be going out there in early April! Unless there is some freak heat wave that happens. Yet, influx of people causes all kinda of problems... People not prepared, people getting hurt... Etc... Why risk the headache, just close it down! Best sign board I saw was on a church. It sad: "Pray for a SLOW warm-up!" LoL...

Anyway... Much warmer down here in the Chicago area, we will warm up faster... Still a ton of snow (feet, like +10... Roads still covered), cold temps in the 20's and teens in that part of upper Wisconsin and Arrowhead of Minnesota... I can see snowmobiles, trucks, ATV's out on some of those bays and islands till early April! All the waterfalls coming off the mainland sea caves were frozen solid. There was one that was running a little behind the wall of ice... Pretty cool. So... Spring is looming!

Huh? The weather forecasts were spot on for the whole week and ahead last weekend... Been that way the whole winter! We headed up 500 miles to Lake Superior to see the iced in sea caves that everybody was talking about... Ice reports, everything were spot on! Temps and skies stuck to the forecast to a tee. It helped big time! I didn't want to pull a Clark Griswold and drive 500 miles and have the National Parks Service say: "Sorry, ice changed... Nobody is allowed to hike the lake."

I mean really... I think your beef is just about TOO MUCH information. The info may not be useful to you, but somebody can use it. Forecasting has been VERY accurate... Almost too perfect. I understand your "wussified" reports angle... That's just is what it is. Like Lake Superior... They closed down the hiking from the beach, out onto the lake last night @ midnight... Just to be proactive!!... With the huge influx of people in such a remarkable year... Why risk it... It has already been up and running for longer than anybody could every remember! From what I saw, you could easily still be going out there in early April! Unless there is some freak heat wave that happens. Yet, influx of people causes all kinda of problems... People not prepared, people getting hurt... Etc... Why risk the headache, just close it down! Best sign board I saw was on a church. It sad: "Pray for a SLOW warm-up!" LoL...

Anyway... Much warmer down here in the Chicago area, we will warm up faster... Still a ton of snow (feet, like +10... Roads still covered), cold temps in the 20's and teens in that part of upper Wisconsin and Arrowhead of Minnesota... I can see snowmobiles, trucks, ATV's out on some of those bays and islands till early April! All the waterfalls coming off the mainland sea caves were frozen solid. There was one that was running a little behind the wall of ice... Pretty cool. So... Spring is looming!

I'm grumpy. That's too much to read. I want to know how much rain I am going to get and when it will start with actual reasoning and not some clucky-schmuck trying to make me laugh and smile while doing it. Freaking Al Roker! I want to know more then the silly stuff. I want to know when its going to do what and how its going to do it.

Besides Wunderground.com, I use the Farmers Forecast on Weather.com

I'm grumpy. That's too much to read. I want to know how much rain I am going to get and when it will start with actual reasoning and not some clucky-schmuck trying to make me laugh and smile while doing it. Freaking Al Roker! I want to know more then the silly stuff. I want to know when its going to do what and how its going to do it.

Besides Wunderground.com, I use the Farmers Forecast on Weather.com

I hear ya! Then on top of it, all that extra crap makes my phone/device bog down... Like videos, etc...

Just tell me when, where, and how!