Would you like to know why we're getting gashed in run defense

Here's your answer.

http://www.buffaloru...ts-bilal-powell

TLDR Version: Kiko Alonso is the Justin Rogers of run defenders!

Rookie linebackers make mistakes. Especially rookie linebackers playing Mike. Let's wait and see. He overpursued on a few plays, but other players on D lost contain as well.

Edited by Hopeful

Don't just pick on Kiko! How about pointing out the fact that Searcy, Lawson, Hughes all were caught out of their lanes allowing the RB to bounce runs to the outside. They all need to do their jobs and stay in their lanes.

Excellent point. That was obvious on a few runs where Lawson and Hughes got caught inside.

Week 3....Seems the timing is right for the sky to start falling. There are certainly players that deserve some criticism on this team, like Rogers (I also criticize the FO for keeping him when he has never looked better than terrible). However Kiko Alonso just finished his 3rd NFL game (he already has 2 INT's BTW). Complaining about mental errors of a rookie is nitpicking a bit don't you think? Besides the running game certainly is not why we lost that game, it was the inability to cover, and the inability of the offense to move the ball.

Don't just pick on Kiko! How about pointing out the fact that Searcy, Lawson, Hughes all were caught out of their lanes allowing the RB to bounce runs to the outside. They all need to do their jobs and stay in their lanes.

You forgot Leonhard.

You look at some of those photos and its easy to tell that the line is getting caved in on some of those plays. No LB is going to be able to "fill a gap" that is more than 10 yards wide. At least not consistently.

Excellent point. That was obvious on a few runs where Lawson and Hughes got caught inside.

Please don't group Hughes and Lawson together. They are totally different players, and Lawson has been a beast out there. QB sack, pressures, great against the run and picks up screens/counters very well.

Hughes has at least three offsides penalties already and has been invisible this year. He looked great in pre season but he's a big disappointment to this team so far

Poor LB play has been the story for several seasons of bad run defense. It usually is and it's usually because they aren't disciplined and that's usually because they want to do too much. Especially younger LBs. Especially in new systems. Give the kids some time though. I think Kiko is gonna be special.

GO BILLS!!!

Sorry, this was supposed to be a cut a paste of my response on the BB.com site. I left off the last two sentences:

This is what the coaches mean when they say "we left a lot of plays out there". That's coach speak for "if guys were doing their jobs they'd be making plays". There's no question from those looks that Kiko's got the play right in front of him, he's just too eager to take it to the outside and over pursues almost every time. He's got to trust the DE to contain.

Good news is, he doesn't lack for ability & with time & reps he'll become a force!

Now everyone that felt the need to jump to Kiko's defense can put the knives away. I realize the kid's in his 3rd game and has a massive ceiling. Point it, it's his youth and exuberance that's making him miss, not his ability. Very fixable!

Rogers on the other hand.................

Edited by Mike in Syracuse

This is funny.

Funny how? What do you mean funny? Funny like a clown? Like I amuse you? What do you mean funny?

Seriously, do you care to enlighten us? Or should I just guess it's because Kyle Williams is too old and can't hold the POA and/or Dareus sucks and/or we don't have a true nose tackle and/or the LBs always have to be clean as the driven snow to make a play?

Or do you honestly believe we have gotten stellar LB play the last several years? Because THAT IS funny.

GO BILLS!!!

Would really like to know what is going on with Bradham, guy was a stud in college and showed some promise. There is no way he is worse than Moats and has to be the fastest LBer next to Alonso.

Actually Bradham indeed does look worse than Moats...This guy was all hype since he was drafted, but has shown virtually nothing on the field from day one. He is almost always out of position, and has terrible instincts. Moats has defied the odds and stuck around despite changing positions every year in the league. He's actually done a decent job this year all things considered. Benching Bradham was certainly necessary IMO.

Bradham is one of these guys that had a cult following before he ever took to the field. However he had some serious red flags going into the draft regarding his concentration and instincts on the field, and so far those pre-draft concerns have been glaring as a pro.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

I think when Kiko gains 20 Lbs and wears bigger shoulder pads all this will end and he will be a run stopper as well as excelelnt in coverage. We also need Bradham to get invovled somehow.

Bradham has a LONG way to go. Even for a 2nd year player, it's hard for me to recall someone who can take himself out of as many plays as he does. He is the epitome of undisciplined LB play.

GO BILLS!!!