If Bryd is a man....

Estelle Getty

I'd be doing exactly what Jarius is doing

The Franchise Tag is a travesty and just because my union is pathetic doesn't mean I would take the tag and just play

Honestly why as an athlete with a potential 35-45 million dollar contract and probably 15-17 in guaranteed in play, should I be asked to take all the high side risk of a 1 year contract?

I couldn't imagine having to make that decision. Either he warrants a long term contract or he doesn't

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Franchise Tag is a travesty and just because my union is pathetic doesn't mean I would take the tag and just play

Honestly why as an athlete with a potential 35-45 million dollar contract and probably 15-17 in guaranteed in play, should I be asked to take all the high side risk of a 1 year contract?

I couldn't imagine having to make that decision. Either he warrants a long term contract or he doesn't

Nobody made him sign the contract; it's at least as big of a travesty to do so and then refuse to play.

couldnt disagree more

bullschit - Byrd is under a one year contract, show up and play bc THATS what you are being paid to do, hes not being paid to ride out this contract until his next one - hes getting paid, and getting paid VERY WELL, to play this year of football for the bills

we all understand the whole garbage about it being a business - good, we get that, we understand why hes being a little biotch, doesnt mean we have to be a fan of his anymore, doesnt mean we have to like him as a player or respect him as a man....but your saying every NFL player in a contract year should sit on the sidelines because he could get hurt??? no, thats BS - hes being paid as one of the best players in the league for this year and he is sitting his crying ass on the bench

i hope he never wears a bills uniform again

Why play by the rules when you can pout? The collective bargaining agreement is the set of rules. If there are parts of it that favor the players would you give the Bills a pass for never signing anyone and not fielding a team? What makes Byrd more important than every single other player in the NFL that is abiding by the rules?

100% right -- you're one of the few on this board who possesses an unemotional grasp of the underlying business.

Byrd signed the one-year deal because it was the best alternative available to him. The Bills didn't have to offer him a one-year deal either, they could have let him walk. There's no doubt in my mind that they knew this was coming, particularly given the team's decision to draft (not one) but two safeties in the first five rounds AFTER they made the decision to move Aaron Williams to the safety position. The team knew what it was doing then and it knows what it's doing now. Byrd is doing the right thing for himself and the Bills did the right thing for the team.

With his injury who would be crazy enough to give him a long term guaranteed contract?

teams have given crazy contracts to people i never thought would get a shot.

its seems like it should be hurting him badly, but it can be tough projecting those things.

Keep him here. We have paid him 4 games already. Tell parker and everyone flat out he will be tagged in 2014. Let's put it on his plate. Let's see when he comes back. All of this is known. We would be fools to trade him.

Keep him here. We have paid him 4 games already. Tell parker and everyone flat out he will be tagged in 2014. Let's put it on his plate. Let's see when he comes back. All of this is known. We would be fools to trade him.

Bingo. Agreed.

One thing I don't get about Jerry Sunshine's column, that last statement above, if the Bills had given Byrd a top 5 deal, he would have signed. I bought they did hat and he wanted to be THE top paid safety? Is this not the case?

Why doesn't any media type find out what the hell was offered and asked for by both sides?

Exactly. We're not going to get crap for him anyway.

It's unpopular but you're right. Ask Dustin Keller, Henry Melton, and Anthony Spencer if they are happy about their franchise tag? http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/columnist/bell/2013/09/25/franchise-tag-dilemma-henry-melton-anthony-spencer-michael-johnson-jairus-byrd/2873207/ If Ryan Clady didn't get his long term deal, he would have been in the same boat this year.

I just love the whole blame the player mentality fans have. I loved the Bills more than I care about Byrd. But it's funny that a player making millions is the bad guy vs. a team making billions. How come no fans praised Byrd for far outplaying his 2nd round rookie contract? If you had a brother or son, you would be an idiot for advising him to risk injury on a one year deal.

This situation sucks. I get both sides. But IMO, it's straight up BS to make Byrd out to be some bad guy. The guy has made a ton of plays, played through injuries, didn't get the payday he wanted, and now isn't going to risk himself for the team. But because we're Bills fans, Byrd is somehow the devil. Not the billionaire franchise.

Wonder whether Byrd would agree to the use of a "Lie Detector" next time the Bills ask him whether he is fit enough to play? Surely he has nothing to hide.

By the same logic, let's ask the Bills if Byrd got seriously hurt playing this year, would they give him a multi-year deal? It goes both ways.

And yes, if he got paid, he would probably being playing. But he didn't, so he's not risking anything. If you were advising him, you'd tell him to do the same thing.

It's unpopular but you're right. Ask Dustin Keller, Henry Melton, and Anthony Spencer if they are happy about their franchise tag? http://www.usatoday....s-byrd/2873207/ If Ryan Clady didn't get his long term deal, he would have been in the same boat this year.

I just love the whole blame the player mentality fans have. I loved the Bills more than I care about Byrd. But it's funny that a player making millions is the bad guy vs. a team making billions. How come no fans praised Byrd for far outplaying his 2nd round rookie contract? If you had a brother or son, you would be an idiot for advising him to risk injury on a one year deal.

This situation sucks. I get both sides. But IMO, it's straight up BS to make Byrd out to be some bad guy. The guy has made a ton of plays, played through injuries, didn't get the payday he wanted, and now isn't going to risk himself for the team. But because we're Bills fans, Byrd is somehow the devil. Not the billionaire franchise.

No fans praised him?!? He was my favorite player.

He's lying and stealing now. If you like that, fine.

It's unpopular but you're right. Ask Dustin Keller, Henry Melton, and Anthony Spencer if they are happy about their franchise tag? http://www.usatoday....s-byrd/2873207/ If Ryan Clady didn't get his long term deal, he would have been in the same boat this year.

Name one player who is under a long term contract who does not risk that contract's ensuing years every Sunday.

Faking an injury and collecting millions is dishonest. If the injury is real then not disclosing it and asking to be the top paid safety is dishonest.

If he doesn't like the CBA he has the right to his opinion and should run for election in the union. He shouldn't just ignore the rules because his agent has a large ego.

By the same logic, let's ask the Bills if Byrd got seriously hurt playing this year, would they give him a multi-year deal? It goes both ways.

And yes, if he got paid, he would probably being playing. But he didn't, so he's not risking anything. If you were advising him, you'd tell him to do the same thing.

A player playing in the last year of his contract(example: Byrd last season) was playing with just as much risk but without the Franchise Tags money level.

The only players that are not at risk are those that have large guaranteed monies still remaining in their contracts.

I would argue that he earned this money by outplaying his original contract. And it's a pretty serious thing to call someone a liar. It's hilarious that message board posters can call him a liar when not one team source has questioned him.

Sorry, this is different from your job. He is one of the best in the world at what he does. He's not going to risk his long term contract for a one year deal. I get why fans hate him for it, but your hate is in the wrong place. The team could have given him a new contract earlier.

And the bottomline is if he gets paid liek a top S next year (which he probably will barring a serious injury), he was right in his stance. He probably won't be popular in Buffalo but he will be popular in his household.

no ones saying he absolutely couldnt play, but that hes not going to play hurt. I get it rubbing the wrong way, but i wouldnt call it lying and stealing would probably be pushing it. just because others play hurt and his risk/reward equation doesnt match, doesnt mean not hes a liar

unless you think he is completely making up the injury.

Edited by NoSaint

Name one player who is under a long term contract who does not risk that contract's ensuing years every Sunday.

Faking an injury and collecting millions is dishonest. If the injury is real then not disclosing it and asking to be the top paid safety is dishonest.

If he doesn't like the CBA he has the right to his opinion and should run for election in the union. He shouldn't just ignore the rules because his agent has a large ego.

Again, not one person on the Bills has claimed he is faking. How in the world can you make that claim?

And what rules is he ignoring? Is the team calling him out? Or is it just frustrated fans? And if he gets paid like a top S, I guess his ego was justified.

There is a giant difference between getting a long term deal (with big time guaranteed money) than a one year deal. Say it's a game all you want, but it's a business. No one cares when a player blows out his knee, gets cut, and doesn't get another deal.