Andy Levitre

BreezeMafia

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a myth making the rounds that we couldn't afford both Levitre and Wood. I'm calling B.S. Letting Levitre walk was Overdorf drawing a line in the sand and deciding that Levitre is worth x, and Levitre's camp saying he's worth x plus $1M (or $2M), and Overdorf not budging. In the meantime, nothing - and I mean absolutely nothing - was done proactively before (or during) the offseason to address the issue of Levitre's potential departure. In short, it was a typical OBD clusterf--.

I wouldn't overpay for a LG especially since this team is in rebuild mode.

TBD Myth Number Two: a young "rebuilding" team with a rookie QB doesn't need to pay for a quality LG. Honestly, I can't fathom how anyone could buy into this one. Doesn't your rookie QB need to be protected in the passing game, and with a quality running game?

And when are the fans around here finally going to stop buying into the 3-year rebuilding cycle that keeps occurring? How about we actually load up and try to win this year?

There is a myth making the rounds that we couldn't afford both Levitre and Wood. I'm calling B.S. Letting Levitre walk was Overdorf drawing a line in the sand and deciding that Levitre is worth x, and Levitre's camp saying he's worth x plus $1M (or $2M), and Overdorf not budging. In the meantime, nothing - and I mean absolutely nothing - was done proactively before (or during) the offseason to address the issue of Levitre's potential departure. In short, it was a typical OBD clusterf--.

TBD Myth Number Two: a young "rebuilding" team with a rookie QB doesn't need to pay for a quality LG. Honestly, I can't fathom how anyone could buy into this one. Doesn't your rookie QB need to be protected in the passing game, and with a quality running game?

And when are the fans around here finally going to stop buying into the 3-year rebuilding cycle that keeps occurring? How about we actually load up and try to win this year?

Your myths are your opinions not really myths. Just want to point that out to you.

You don't give OT money to a guard.

Play-calling was a bigger issue than O-line play. EJ took a couple of those sacks because he held the ball too long. He's a rookie. The pass protection was good enough.

I don't mind levitre walking but it bothers me we didnt get a quality guy to fill the hole. There were vets that weren't overpaid that we could've pursued.

Agree it helps a young qb and agree it was affordable.

All I can say is I guess they graded brown a little higher, figured the unit would survive or something along those lines.

Play-calling was a bigger issue than O-line play. EJ took a couple of those sacks because he held the ball too long. He's a rookie. The pass protection was good enough.

But that's what rookie qbs do - and exactly why you need a better line in front of them. They sit in the pocket and think.

Shoot we paid $5M a year for Derrick freaking Dockery. And he was average. We couldn't have ponied up an extra mil a year for Andy?

There is no question we made a mistake letting Levitre walk, I've been saying it since training camp. Colin gets an A for effort and admittedly he has gone against 3 studs in three games so far, but if you don't think we miss Andy badly out there I invite you to rewatch the games and see how fast EJ's pocket collapses from the inside left.

Its a joke. Manuel and CJ should be pissed at overdorf and whaley for their New Englandesque front office arrogance. I believe it cost us the patriots game and possibly the Jets as well.

I wouldn't overpay for a LG especially since this team is in rebuild mode.

I would overpay in heart beat -- especially when you are sitting on over $20M in cap space AND you have a rookie QB -- the logic is sound, give your young QB a decent line and good running game to help him develop --- I think logic and Russ Brandon are a contradiction

I don't mind levitre walking but it bothers me we didnt get a quality guy to fill the hole. There were vets that weren't overpaid that we could've pursued.

Agree it helps a young qb and agree it was affordable.

All I can say is I guess they graded brown a little higher, figured the unit would survive or something along those lines.

But that's what rookie qbs do - and exactly why you need a better line in front of them. They sit in the pocket and think.

Well ... while I understand your point, I think it's better to fix the QBs problem (decision-making) rather than spend more money to enable him.

EJ's decision-making will improve. Overpaying a guard isn't going to accelerate that, nor will it buy him significantly more time, in my opinion.

Shoot we paid $5M a year for Derrick freaking Dockery. And he was average. We couldn't have ponied up an extra mil a year for Andy?

There is no question we made a mistake letting Levitre walk, I've been saying it since training camp. Colin gets an A for effort and admittedly he has gone against 3 studs in three games so far, but if you don't think we miss Andy badly out there I invite you to rewatch the games and see how fast EJ's pocket collapses from the inside left.

Its a joke. Manuel and CJ should be pissed at overdorf and whaley for their New Englandesque front office arrogance. I believe it cost us the patriots game and possibly the Jets as well.

I think our defense allowing nearly 200 yards on the ground - as well as nearly every 3rd down conversion - had more to do with the loss than the play of our OG.

You state pocket collapse from inside left? Maybe thats a typo or not your intention. If I read your post correctly however, that's exactly Levitre's position good buddy.

Edited by BillsinChesterSprings

I would overpay in heart beat -- especially when you are sitting on over $20M in cap space AND you have a rookie QB -- the logic is sound, give your young QB a decent line and good running game to help him develop --- I think logic and Russ Brandon are a contradiction

Its not just this years cap they have to concerned with.

Not getting a competent replacement was the mistake, not letting Levitre walk

Well ... while I understand your point, I think it's better to fix the QBs problem (decision-making) rather than spend more money to enable him.

EJ's decision-making will improve. Overpaying a guard isn't going to accelerate that, nor will it buy him significantly more time, in my opinion.

I think our defense allowing nearly 200 yards on the ground - as well as nearly every 3rd down conversion - had more to do with the loss than the play of our OG.

It's not enabling, it's planning for the obvious. You take your puppy on extra walks to keep your carpet clean, and if possible (and I think it was as there were about 5 vet guys that would've fit nicely signed to mid tier deals) you give your rookie qb a line he can count on while you train him.

We aren't talking a 30 yr old journeyman we are looking at a boom or bust high upside rookie that many considered a bit of a project

Edited by NoSaint

It's not enabling, it's planning for the obvious. You take your puppy on extra walks to keep your carpet clean, and if possible (and I think it was as there were about 5 vet guys that would've fit nicely signed to mid tier deals) you give your rookie qb a line he can count on while you train him.

I totally get what you're saying, man. I'm not saying we necessarily have the right guys, but overpaying Levitre still would not have been the right thing to do. So I agree that pursuing one of those vets likely would have been a good move.

I do think it's worth mentioning that we lost the game on defense ... not because of EJ's inexperience. Yes ... more points would have been nice (obviously). But let's call a spade a spade ... our defense absolutely sucked yesterday.

Titans ran the ball well yesterday.

This means what, exactly? I think Chris Johnson would have managed more than the 9 yards on 10 carries that CJ got. With no guards on the field. Or tackles.

If you have a quality player (near Pro Bowl caliber), $20 million in cap space, and there is no adequate replacement for the player available (for whatever reason), then you pay the guy.

Absolutely. And as bad as the defense was, they might have been just a little better with a quality blocker helping to sustain drives and keep them off the field.

If you have a quality player (near Pro Bowl caliber), $20 million in cap space, and there is no adequate replacement for the player available (for whatever reason), then you pay the guy.

But there were options - we passed on all of them. Remember the threads in march with the list if viable guards?

I totally get what you're saying, man. I'm not saying we necessarily have the right guys, but overpaying Levitre still would not have been the right thing to do. So I agree that pursuing one of those vets likely would have been a good move.

I do think it's worth mentioning that we lost the game on defense ... not because of EJ's inexperience. Yes ... more points would have been nice (obviously). But let's call a spade a spade ... our defense absolutely sucked yesterday.

This means what, exactly? I think Chris Johnson would have managed more than the 9 yards on 10 carries that CJ got. With no guards on the field. Or tackles.

Agreed it wasn't the primary cause of the loss, but it's a worthwhile discussion still I think.