Hacketts scheme is a major issue!

EJ looks at his 1st read too long. The TD pass to Chandler if you look at his eyes, was his 2nd read and did a little pump fake before he released the ball which left Chandler wide open. The pump fake might be EJ's secret weapon.

I'm just a fan and I can see this. How come the coaches can't?

I think Chan did a good job as offensive coordinator. Maybe we can bring him back.

Yeah I wish. Two reasons that won't happen.

1. Marrone is tied to Hackett and will never fire him.

2. Chan will never want to come back as an OC to the team he was the HC of. Don't think his pride will let him.

^^ The defense sucked yesterday.

The "defense" didn't suck. Certain players (cough! Rogers, cough! Searcy) did. Defense held their own and created turnovers and stopped a 4th and 1 in it's tracks. They were ok. Not great but good enough to win if we had a decent offense.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There really was no reason to get rid of the offense that we had. It scored points it moved the ball etc....We should have kept some of the playbook

I was thinking this as well. Or perhaps look at other plays that no huddle teams run. I really liked the play action pass the pats did when dobson was wide open. Could it hurt to try it??

The problem I see is accountability. Whose holding Hackett accountable for crappy play calling? He's the damn OC for crying out loud... Is anyone in his face saying what the hell was that? Where is the dynamic play calling we were hoping to see? That was the most vanilla game plan I have ever seen by any Bills team. I'm okay with not making the playoffs this year but we have to know that there is more to his schemes than what we saw yesterday. GET RID OF THE FREAKIN SHOTGUN RB DRAWS UP THE MIDDLE FOR 1 yard. Bring in an I formation, run a sweep, offtackle or toss to CJ he's not an up the middle guy and it doesn't take a NFL caliber OC to know that.

EXACTLY!! Who allows the bs play calling?? Someone needs to let dm/nh this is not college.

I agree that a lot of this fall's on Hackett, but blame has to go to marrone as well. He is an offensive mind and has been hands on with the offense as well. I'm sure he is very involved with the scheme and gameplan, and he needs to take some blame as well.

I don't really put much blame on EJ at this point. He seems to be playing safe while he is learning. He looks ok for a rookie and as long as he keeps growing we should be ok at qb

I agree that a lot of this fall's on Hackett, but blame has to go to marrone as well. He is an offensive mind and has been hands on with the offense as well. I'm sure he is very involved with the scheme and gameplan, and he needs to take some blame as well.

I don't really put much blame on EJ at this point. He seems to be playing safe while he is learning. He looks ok for a rookie and as long as he keeps growing we should be ok at qb

rookie HC rookie OC rookie QB .

Might have something to do with it ?

Also i am more about execution by the O line .

Got an education yesterday alll day long.

hat's off to Ryan .

I hope that was a " welcome to the NFL kids!!! " moment for Marrone and learn some real good land hard essons

I get the sense that the no huddle, quick play offense is too fast for the coaches as well as the rookie QB. When things were going wrong for the O-line, they kept calling the same stinking draw plays right into the teeth of the defense. Early on, I thought they were doing it to open up space on a fake handoff, or a roll out, or some other misdirection, but there was none of that.

Marrone has used the term "accountability" since his hiring; yet where is this accountability? The offensive coordinator is in over his head (the scheme is fundamentally unimaginative and the play-calling atrocious). The team continues to take bad penalties (speaks to lack of discipline). And from an offensive standpoint, the Bills have two of the worst players in recent memory continuing to play and see significant time (Colin Brown and TJ Graham). Where is this accountability that Marrone spoke of so glibly?

Edited by RussellDopeland

From this question and answer from BB.com I don't get the distinct feeling things are going to get better. Q: So no play calling has been altered to protect him?

A: No. When you use the word altered, if you’re using it from the standpoint of if we as coaches consciously said, ‘Hey we’re not doing this or not doing this because A, B or C,’ then the answer is no. If you’re thinking about it from the standpoint of alter as saying, ‘Hey what are you comfortable with, what do you like?’ then that’s the stuff we’re putting in. ‘Hey what don’t you feel as comfortable with?’ Then we’ll take that stuff out. That happens week to week with every quarterback, not just the young quarterback. That’s what we’re doing on offense.

The key to being a successful coach is putting your players in position to win. Hackett's play calling and design of the offense does not exploit the talent of CJ Spiller nor the lack of motion to help your WRs beat press coverage at the line. The inside trap run has been blown up for 2 games. Time to scrap it. You have marginal O line talent in Brown. Give the line a break and let them go straight man on man blocking or zone blocking. Watching Denver's O line play is a thing of football beauty. I wish the Bills could have that soon.

The key to being a successful coach is putting your players in position to win. Hackett's play calling and design of the offense does not exploit the talent of CJ Spiller nor the lack of motion to help your WRs beat press coverage at the line. The inside trap run has been blown up for 2 games. Time to scrap it. You have marginal O line talent in Brown. Give the line a break and let them go straight man on man blocking or zone blocking. Watching Denver's O line play is a thing of football beauty. I wish the Bills could have that soon.

Did you see the amazing play where they lined up FJ and Chandler in the backfield, each on a side of EJ (who was in shotgun, of course), and then had them cross in front of EJ after the snap? I actually think it was a called screen to FJ - perhaps the only one of the game. The problem was that FJ and Chandler ran into each other and took each other out of the play, and it was blown up. It was one of the worst-designed plays I've ever seen.

Hackett is in over his head. And the number one downfall of head coaches in the NFL is stubbornness - either a stubborn loyalty to coordinators, schemes, or quarterbacks (or all of the above). If Marrone doesn't adjust and deal with Hackett's lack of competence, it will be the end of Marrone.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

Correct me if i'm wrong but doesn't motion help the QB identify the coverages as well? If a DB trails the reciever, if the safeties shift, if it pulls a LB?

Now that is just crazy talk. How dare you say something this logical about the Offense. Good post. :)

No designing a scheme utilizing Spiller in space.

No bubble screens to speed receivers. No HB screens to Jackson or Spiller.

No use of rollouts and taking advantage of a mobile quarterback. No misdirection

No use of clock management before half-time.

What do you guys think?

Hackett is in way over his head.

Please read this article. It says quite the contrary. Says the scheme is not the problem. http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2013/9/24/4766678/bills-read-option-ej-manuel-cj-spiller-nathaniel-hackett

No designing a scheme utilizing Spiller in space.

No bubble screens to speed receivers. No HB screens to Jackson or Spiller.

No use of rollouts and taking advantage of a mobile quarterback. No misdirection

No use of clock management before half-time.

What do you guys think?

Hackett is in way over his head.

This post hits it right on the head. Not sure why Manuel wasn't rolled out more. They kept him in the pocket, and it seemed to start chipping away at his confidence. I saw plays where he had a boatload of time, then gets sacked or runs for a yard or two. Bubble screens or short in routes would have helped. Also it seems the Spiller read option up the middle isn't working at all. Its pretty predictable, and doesn't fool anyone. I know that Manuel is young, but they have to start opening up the playbook and being more creative with Spiller AND Manuel. Jets have a tough defense, and Rex Ryan is no slouch. Have to find ways to get the ball to Spiller in space, move Manuel out of the pocket to make him the true duel threat he can be.

I find it interesting that I keep seeing the sentiment, "if we had last years offense with this year's D we'd win 10 games."

Last years Bills team averaged 21.5ppg

This years Bills team averages 21.7ppg

Last years Bills offense averaged 342 yards per game

This years Bills offense averages 350 yards per game

Last years Bills team averaged 2.125 turnovers per game

This years Bills team averages 1.33 turnovers per game

Yeah, stats don't tell the entire story and I agree that this offense is maddening right now but I think people are romanticizing the past and just how effective last years offense was.

Edited by MDH