WGR reports (trade colts browns)

tito1

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How was this a bad trade for Cleveland? The FO there clearly doesn't believe that the Weeden/Richardson is the answer, so why not start anew ASAFP? The draft is going to be phenomenal next season. Sure, they're giving up this season, but they were obviously going to be dreadful anyway.

I understand that.

But this was supposed to be the year they turned the ship around. There was A LOT of optimism in Cleveland. And to make this move after WEEK TWO!? That's a lot of sails out of the wind.

I understand that.

But this was supposed to be the year they turned the ship around. There was A LOT of optimism in Cleveland. And to make this move after WEEK TWO!? That's a lot of sails out of the wind.

No doubt, but the writing was on the wall already. Neither of those guys looks great, and neither Banner nor Lombardi has any times to them. Yeah, it sucks for the fans, but Banner has proven his skills over the years. I'd trust him. The Eagles had one losing season out of 12 between 2000 and 2011, his last year there.

I dont think you can compare these trades. The Raiders went all in for a QB and it didn't work and they didn't give it a chance to work. The Colts already have a QB, if Trent doesn't work out they move on without much upheaval. Maybe they don't have their late round 1, but they tried to win now.

and in fact it will be a cheaper mistake than if they just picked a guy and he didnt work out because cleveland took the bulk of the financial risk already.

Browns get a first round pick for Richardson, and all we could land for Lynch is a 4th rounder. Oh how special our FO is :D

I feel sorry for Browns fans though, they literally have nothing going with their team. As much as we complain here, it's worse there (and with the Jags), imo.

Yep. It sucks. Really passionate Fans, Esp in Cleveland. Jacksonville should just forfeit their franchise. I think 32 teams is too much as it is. Get it down to 30.

No doubt, but the writing was on the wall already. Neither of those guys looks great, and neither Banner nor Lombardi has any times to them. Yeah, it sucks for the fans, but Banner has proven his skills over the years. I'd trust him. The Eagles had one losing season out of 12 between 2000 and 2011, his last year there.

In the meantime, Browns fans will be spending the next 11.5 months sitting on ice packs.

In the meantime, Browns fans will be spending the next 11.5 months sitting on ice packs.

And the lifetime of wonderment at the fact they traded up 1 spot with a team that had Adrian Peterson to draft a RB ???!!

That definitely trumps Bills FO blunders.

Edited by Why So Serious?

lopsided advantage for INDY.

INDY gets a PROVEN top 15 RB ....Richardson is an absolute stud who should only get better playing on an offense that actually has a QB that opposing defenses will have to respect and stop loading the box.

BROWNS get a first round draft choice with about a 25% chance of hitting on it.

lopsided advantage for INDY.

INDY gets a PROVEN top 15 RB ....Richardson is an absolute stud who should only get better playing on an offense that actually has a QB that opposing defenses will have to respect and stop loading the box.

BROWNS get a first round draft choice with about a 25% chance of hitting on it.

Disagree. Richardson is good but not worth a #1 in trade. Advantage: CLE.

Put your money where your mouth is.

So, if his average goes up to a still-sub-par 3.8 YPC, then you're right? I don't think so. I never said he is a terrible back. He will probably do just fine in Indy. But he's just a running back, and by all the evidence so far, a not very dynamic one. Backs like Richardson are a dime a dozen and are not worth a no. 1 pick and they are not the difference between winning and losing.

So, if his average goes up to a still-sub-par 3.8 YPC, then you're right? I don't think so. I never said he is a terrible back. He will probably do just fine in Indy. But he's just a running back, and by all the evidence so far, a not very dynamic one. Backs like Richardson are a dime a dozen and are not worth a no. 1 pick and they are not the difference between winning and losing.

He actually could be the difference in Indy, this year. It changes their whole offense to be able to effectively run the ball. He actually is dynamic, if you watched him play last year. He is one tough runner.

So, if his average goes up to a still-sub-par 3.8 YPC, then you're right?

What is par?

I don't think so. I never said he is a terrible back. He will probably do just fine in Indy.

Agree.

But he's just a running back, and by all the evidence so far, a not very dynamic one.

Incorrect

Backs like Richardson are a dime a dozen

Incorrect

and are not worth a no. 1 pick

Thats debatable.

not the difference between winning and losing.

Running the ball is not the difference between winning and losing?

Wow!!!!

Batchit crazy move here. Wonder why.

My theory is new regime recognizes that a RB is not where you invest a high 1st round pick.

Seriously - if you knew what you were getting - how many RB's other than AP are really dominant enough to justify a #1 pick anymore?

And the lifetime of wonderment at the fact they traded up 1 spot with a team that had Adrian Peterson to draft a RB ???!!

That definitely trumps Bills FO blunders.

It's a new FO, that obviously disagrees with the previous one.

Running the ball is not the difference between winning and losing?

No, it's not. It's a passing league now. The Giants were last in the league in rushing in 2011 and Green Bay was 24th in the league in 2010. Both won the Super Bowl. There is no correlation between a dominant running game and winning anymore. The concept is anachronistic now.

No, it's not. It's a passing league now. The Giants were last in the league in rushing in 2011 and Green Bay was 24th in the league in 2010. Both won the Super Bowl. There is no correlation between a dominant running game and winning anymore. The concept is anachronistic now.

You actually cannot make a blanket statement like that, realizing that every team is different. An effective running game can absolutely be the difference between winning and losing on a team that has a weak OL.

You actually cannot make a blanket statement like that, realizing that every team is different. An effective running game can absolutely be the difference between winning and losing on a team that has a weak OL.

My blanket statement is that there is no correlation between a dominant running game and winning. I stand by that. The team that has been most dominant in this century - the Pats - is built almost entirely around passing. They do run it reasonably well, but that's because teams have to defend against the pass on any given play. Same goes for the teams Payton Manning has led. Chris Johnson ran for over 2000 yards and the team went 8-8. AP ran for 2000 and the team squeaked into the playoffs in the last minute of the final game of the season and then was bounced out quickly in the first round. Maurice Jones-Drew led the league in rushing in 2011, but the team went 5-11. Frank Gore had some great seasons before Harbaugh built a decent passing game, and in those years SF was mediocre at best.

I think this piece is pretty much right: http://espn.go.com/n...n-game-changer.

Also, one issue with Cleveland is that they do have a weak run blocking line - which is precisely why Richardson was useless to them.

Edited by dave mcbride