Mike Pettine Appreciation Thread

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

don't hold your breath regarding Byrd

Aaron took a few bad angles today for sure. That TD pass to Ginn does not happen with Jairus out there, Aaron was playing the ball and never looked at Ginn, then by the time he realized what was up the play was too far behind him to be a factor.

The good news is Aaron has the physical skills and just needs experience, and we got the win today baby.

The more film he gets on himself and the more reps he gets, the better he'll be. I'm starting to think Byrd is an unnecessary distraction here.

Pettine for HC before he goes elsewhere and makes us pay...Sexy Rexy replacement?

Who's to say Pettine will make a great HC? I don't understand these posts. There's a huge difference between being a great coordinator and being a great HC. It really is pretty dumb to even suggest, whether it's a serious suggestion or not, to make Pettine head coach next year or the year after to keep him here. Hopefully Brandon will shell out any extra necessary cash to keep Pettine in Buffalo for at least 3 years, hopefully more. I know Pettine will be a HC candidate likely after just this year, but no one knows how good he will do as one.

Aaron took a few bad angles today for sure. That TD pass to Ginn does not happen with Jairus out there, Aaron was playing the ball and never looked at Ginn, then by the time he realized what was up the play was too far behind him to be a factor.

The good news is Aaron has the physical skills and just needs experience, and we got the win today baby.

The more film he gets on himself and the more reps he gets, the better he'll be. I'm starting to think Byrd is an unnecessary distraction here.

Yeah but Williams is SS, and and Byrd is FS, so this doesn't really apply. Byrd and Williams would be on the field at the same time, which could be really good. But Searcy has looked solid, too. Hopefully he keeps improving. Someone suggested in another thread we try and trade Byrd for a good TE. If this is possible, it'd be great, imo.

You guys suggesting dumping Marrone for Pettine should consider the following:

We are two games into the season.

In order for another team to have interest in Pettine, the Bills would have to have a pretty decent record this year.

If we have a pretty decent record, should Marrone be sacked?

Under these circumstances, if you were Pettine, would you want to take a job with an organization that rewarded quality work in such a way?

You guys thinking this way have your heads in a very dark and stinky place.

You guys suggesting dumping Marrone for Pettine should consider the following:

We are two games into the season.

In order for another team to have interest in Pettine, the Bills would have to have a pretty decent record this year.

If we have a pretty decent record, should Marrone be sacked?

Under these circumstances, if you were Pettine, would you want to take a job with an organization that rewarded quality work in such a way?

You guys thinking this way have your heads in a very dark and stinky place.

Or we know he's gonna be gone soon and don't want to happen.

The team could have a bad record and a good defense btw. With most of the same players that were on one of the wrost defenses in history the last 2 years. It obvious how talented he is. Blatantly. Blatantly talented DCs get hired as HCs. True story.

The team could have a bad record and a good defense btw. With most of the same players that were on one of the wrost defenses in history the last 2 years. It obvious how talented he is. Blatantly. Blatantly talented DCs get hired as HCs. True story.

Yeah, it still doesn't make sense, though. There are countless instances of coaches who do better as coordinators than head coaches. It's not a slam dunk that he'd be good as HC, or even better than Marrone will be.

If Marrone had the ability to get a guy like Pettine as a first time NFL HC, don't you think he could find an equally talented replacement?

Do some of you guys just live in a constant state of depression?

Edited by Bangarang

If Marrone had the ability to get a guy like Pettine as a first time NFL HC, don't you think he could find an equally talented replacement?

Do some of you guys just live in a constant state of depression?

Because there are dozens of them with Pettine's experience, skills, pedigree and circumstances?

There are about two. Maybe.

Kudos to you Mike Pettine! Thank you for coming to Buffalo and fixing this defense. You are a brilliant defensive mind. What your scheme has done to improve our pressure and most suprisingly our secondary is mind blowing to what was occuring the last 3 years with pretty much the same personnel.

There is no doubt you won't be here long. You will be the "hottest" cooridnator in football after the 2013 season for head coaching positions.

agreed, it's gona suck when he leaves, hopefully one of the other defensive coaches is as good

Is nice to have a smart defense. Still would like to see us being better against TEs but when they're good they are a big mismatch for any defense.

our run D needs work too but at least we are heading in the right direction

Enjoy it while you can. Teams are going to be standing in line to try and get Pettine as their head coach. If it comes down to it, I'd rather Pettine be the HC and get rid of Marrone rather than have Pettine leave

I can see that but we need to see how things go

I like the job Pettine is doing with the D so far. I think/hope he has what it takes to turn the Bills' D around.

But seriously, we are 2 games in, and people are anointing him HC?

I guess that's what happens when you've been so bad on D for so long.

How are fans so peak and valley around here? A player has a good game he's headed to Canton. A player has a bad game he's a bust and should be cut. A DC has a couple of good games and he's on his way out of town as a new HC for a different team. An OC has a rough half of football and he should be fired. Someone's always there to say I told you so one way or the other.

Seriously, wtf is wrong with everyone?

2 !@#$in games. 2. Hot Pocket mother !@#$ers around here.

Because there are dozens of them with Pettine's experience, skills, pedigree and circumstances?

There are about two. Maybe.

How can you possibly put a number on the amount of quality coordinators potentially available?

Before Marrone was hired and probably even after, Pettine wasn't even an option for DC. Why not worry about him leaving when it becomes a possibility?

The Bills got a great win today so naturally some need to find something to complain about.

Also, wouldn't Pettine's name be mentioned last year when there was 7 HC jobs available after having a top 5 defense the last few years with the Jets?

Does he even want to be a HC? Nobody knows yet everyone is making assumptions.

Edited by Bangarang

He's done a nice job so far. I want to see him really earn that paycheck next week, though.

It won't be easy. The Jets aren't as bad as everybody makes them out to be. A strong defensive showing next week can help us get to 2-1, which would be awesome.

I'm hoping he is intensely motivated to show his old coach a thing or two.

Kudos to you Mike Pettine! Thank you for coming to Buffalo and fixing this defense. You are a brilliant defensive mind. What your scheme has done to improve our pressure and most suprisingly our secondary is mind blowing to what was occuring the last 3 years with pretty much the same personnel.

There is no doubt you won't be here long. You will be the "hottest" cooridnator in football after the 2013 season for head coaching positions.

Agreed...can't wait to have Gilmore and Byrd back to add to his weapons