It's In Philly, Not Buffalo

I've been driving the Chip bandwagon since forever. He's gonna be great. He gets it. Going for it w/out hesitating on 4th&1 the first possession = awesome.

The "1 game sample" argument is fair enough but at the same time every old foggy & their brother would be gloating about him being a flop if they lost 28-10.

I knew someone would bring up the 4th &1, I thought about it too. Then I watched Houston do it in SD territory in the next game and they didn't get it. I am not going to dwell on that call.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ohio State and Alabama stopped Oregon with big fast mobile DE's. There are lots of those in the NFL playing every Sunday. Kelly is smart but he is also confrontational with the media. I think this will hurt him in Philly. Winning allows everything. If you are not winning then one word answers to legitimate questions will not go over well in Philadelphia.

Well, they played Ohio State in the Rose Bowl in Kelly's first year and Oregon lost a close game, primarily because they could not stop Terrelle Pryor. Also, that Ohio State team had superior athletes to Oregon's. Oregon never played Alabama, so I assume you are talking about Auburn, which also had some incredible athletes, especially on defense. And again, they did not stop Oregon. They won something like 26-23 and the game went down to the last play. Also, the Ducks' QB that year was Derron Thomas, who couldn't even get invited to an NFL camp as a UDFA, whereas Auburn had a guy named Cam Newton. So I guess you've proved that Kelly's system is a gimmick. Edited by mannc

Marrone's offense is only supposed to look like Kelly's from a pace standpoint. Kelly spreads the field far more often to create space and Vick's threat to run is key.

GO BILLS!!!

Jeez, exactly what Spiller needed. The Bills could easily run the exact same things the Eagles ran with probably as much success.

The penalties, the turnovers, the lack of run blocking, and a far too vanilla offensive scheme killed the Bills. The Bills used a 4 WR shotgun spread formation and ran Spiller, he got 8 yards on that play. Then didn't see it again.

Well, they played Ohio State in the Rose Bowl in Kelly's first year and Oregon lost a close game, primarily because they could not stop Terrelle Pryor. Also, that Ohio State team had superior athletes to Oregon's. Oregon never played Alabama, so I assume you are talking about Auburn, which also had some incredible athletes, especially on defense. And again, they did not stop Oregon. They won something like 26-23 and the game went down to the last play. Also, the Ducks' QB that year was Derron Thomas, who couldn't even get invited to an NFL camp as a UDFA, whereas Auburn had a guy named Cam Newton. So I guess you've proved that Kelly's system is a gimmick.

So NFL caliber athletes stopped Kelly's offense? Good thing he doesn't have to worry about those types of players in the NFL.

IT's one game. It's stupid to overreact one way or the other. But flashy college coaches haven't been too successful in the NFL. Time will tell.

Well, they played Ohio State in the Rose Bowl in Kelly's first year and Oregon lost a close game, primarily because they could not stop Terrelle Pryor. Also, that Ohio State team had superior athletes to Oregon's. Oregon never played Alabama, so I assume you are talking about Auburn, which also had some incredible athletes, especially on defense. And again, they did not stop Oregon. They won something like 26-23 and the game went down to the last play. Also, the Ducks' QB that year was Derron Thomas, who couldn't even get invited to an NFL camp as a UDFA, whereas Auburn had a guy named Cam Newton. So I guess you've proved that Kelly's system is a gimmick.

As an Ohio State fan I remember that bowl game very well. It was a close score but OSU controlled the game and shut down the run. Oregon's defense wasn't good enough to win, Pryor was really good, and Kelly was outcoached by Tressel. I sat there last night thinking how amazing it is that Tressel-ball beat Kelly's phenomenal innovative offense just 3 1/2 yrs ago. Clearly, he has better athletes running it now in the NFL and it isn't exactly the same.

I knew someone would bring up the 4th &1, I thought about it too. Then I watched Houston do it in SD territory in the next game and they didn't get it. I am not going to dwell on that call.

Sigh. It wasn't the right decision because it worked. It was the right decision because it's what the odds say. If it were about hindsight then it technically "didn't work" since they Skins ran a fumble back on that drive. You don't always pull a face card when you double down on 11. That doesn't mean you shouldn't play the odds. But nobody has the balls to, except maybe Jim Harbaugh.

Has a anyone mentioned the amount of penalties the Eagles and Redskins committed?

Eagles had 8 for 65 yards and the Skins had 10 for 75.

No. The Redskins defense was so bad in the first half and their offense was turning the ball over at will really.

The Eagles couldn't move the ball in the 2nd half. They slowed it down but kept getting stuffed. If the offense is sooooooooo great and better than ours, then why was it so ineffective after halftime?

The Eagles offense in the 2nd half was as effective as ours was in the 1st quarter.

Bottom line: You shouldn't make conclusions without having sufficient data/sample size to support the claim.

So, the Redskins' defense was bad in the first half and somehow became good in the second half? Please explain. Did they just play the second string in the first half? No, the Redskins have a very good defense, one of the top 5 in the NFL. They simply got run out of the park in the first half and the first possession of the second half. For the rest of the second half, the Eagles, who by then had a 33-7 lead, dramatically slowed the pace. Only then did the Redskins defense stop them. I also believe Vick was injured and was not really able to run in the second half, and that hurt them, as well. Oh, and the Eagles, who had a worse record than Buffalo last year, won the game, on the road against the team that won their division last year. If the Bills had done that, everyone would be anointing Marrone the greatest coach in the history of the franchise.

So, the Redskins' defense was bad in the first half and somehow became good in the second half? Please explain. Did they just play the second string in the first half? No, the Redskins have a very good defense, one of the top 5 in the NFL. They simply got run out of the park in the first half and the first possession of the second half. For the rest of the second half, the Eagles, who by then had a 33-7 lead, dramatically slowed the pace. Only then did the Redskins defense stop them. I also believe Vick was injured and was not really able to run in the second half, and that hurt them, as well. Oh, and the Eagles, who had a worse record than Buffalo last year, won the game, on the road against the team that won their division last year. If the Bills had done that, everyone would be anointing Marrone the greatest coach in the history of the franchise.

So it's not possible that Washington adjusted their defense during halftime and shut Philly down in the 2nd half?

Again, Vick is the king of looking good for 5 games. Then teams get more film on him, and they adjust.

The Eagles only got off roughly 20 plays and put up little points in the 2nd half. Just saying. Lets not crown your messiah just yet.

FYI, The Eagles deliberately slowed their offensive play calling pace after getting up by 26 points.

To be fair, they should have been up by a lot more than that. The Eagles, near the end of the first half when I stopped watching, had a lot of problems getting first downs. The Redskins started battering Mick Vick as the half went on. The scheme relies a lot of backward passes and we saw what can happen there on the first drive. The Eagles also got a ridiculous amount of turnovers and excellent field position.

They're good, but there are certainly flaws. Especially when pressure was getting generated.

As an Ohio State fan I remember that bowl game very well. It was a close score but OSU controlled the game and shut down the run. Oregon's defense wasn't good enough to win, Pryor was really good, and Kelly was outcoached by Tressel. I sat there last night thinking how amazing it is that Tressel-ball beat Kelly's phenomenal innovative offense just 3 1/2 yrs ago. Clearly, he has better athletes running it now in the NFL and it isn't exactly the same.

That Ohio State team had some elite athletes, like Pryor, that Oregon just could not compete with. I'm not going to argue about whether Tressel out-coached Kelly. I will say that Kelly and his system evolved and improved in his four years at Oregon. Also, by the end of his four years at Oregon, the program was able to attract better recruits than they previously had.

Are you trolling? It is possible for a good defense to play a bad half of football.

The Skins got no pressure, couldn't stop the run and couldn't cover a WR in the first half.

Add on the fact that the Skins offense had like 3 turnovers in their first 4 possessions and that defense was being asked to do a lot.

So it's not possible that Washington adjusted their defense during halftime and shut Philly down in the 2nd half?

Oh, it's possible, but I don't think that's what happened. They were able to adjust only because Philly stopped running the blur offense and stopped aggressively trying to score. Also, Vick was beat up. I agree with those who say that he might not last the season, but on the other hand, he rarely lasted a full season under Andy Reid, either. Also, Philly actually has two back up quarterbacks who were selected in the NFL draft.

That Ohio State team had some elite athletes, like Pryor, that Oregon just could not compete with. I'm not going to argue about whether Tressel out-coached Kelly. I will say that Kelly and his system evolved and improved in his four years at Oregon. Also, by the end of his four years at Oregon, the program was able to attract better recruits than they previously had.

Kelly inherited the Ducks after a 10-3 season and a top 10 ranking.

Kelly inherited the Ducks after a 10-3 season and a top 10 ranking.

True, and he took them to the next level--4 BCS bowl games in a row. And don't forget, Kelly didn't just "inherit" that team--he was it's offensive coordinator for the two years before he became head coach.

Does anyone think that ridiculous formation splitting the tackles way out is going to work in the NFL?

Provided you have the right personnel, yes. If the D doesn't commit enough defenders to either side, you hit them with a quick screen. If they commit only little guys to one side or another, you can be reasonably confident that your tackle will put a guy on his butt and maybe find someone else to block. Should be at least a decent gain. If the D does commit enough defenders to both sides, like Washington did last night, then you've got the middle of the field wide open for your electric RB to make guys miss. If you don't have an RB who can make guys miss (like McCoy or Spiller or Jamaal Charles), then the formation is probably a dud. If you don't have at least 2 WRs who are reasonable threats on the bubble screen, whether through moves or speed or both, then the formation isn't as good. But the key to it is that the ridiculous spacing forces the D to show its hand, but gives the O at least 3 options depending on what the D commits to. There's no way to send a corner blitz from the outside against that formation. Although the other key is that your QB needs to have a quick enough release to get the screen pass off without getting nailed if the D decides to just load up in the middle.

Just the fact here- Chip Kelly signed a 5 year 32.5 millon dollar contact with Philly. I can't seem to find the numbers on Marrone- we interviewed Chip and he wasn't for us. I am wondering if that is because of the numbers or if he really wasn't our guy. I like Marrone and will give him the benefit of the doubt, but one has to wonder are we getting shorted so old Ralphie can keep his coin??

Again, dont shoot the messenger, just wondering what everyone thinks.

Just the fact here- Chip Kelly signed a 5 year 32.5 millon dollar contact with Philly. I can't seem to find the numbers on Marrone- we interviewed Chip and he wasn't for us. I am wondering if that is because of the numbers or if he really wasn't our guy. I like Marrone and will give him the benefit of the doubt, but one has to wonder are we getting shorted so old Ralphie can keep his coin??

Again, dont shoot the messenger, just wondering what everyone thinks.

Who told you to deliver this message?