Let's turn to Carolina... a few thoughts

YoloinOhio

1. Cam Newton is a very, very talented QB/athlete. But, he is not a winner (yet) and he is NOT Tom Brady. Meaning, he may put up better stats than Bady and certainly more mobile, but when Brady got the ball back at the end of the game you just knew he would win it. You don't get that sense with Newton. Being at home, I think we can take advantage of his insecurities.

2. Carolina's WRS are waaay better than NE's. Secondary better be just as good if not better next week.

3. Carolina's D is underrated. Keuchly is a beast at MLB. Playcalling needs to get better and I would like to see EJ run more. He said he is 110%, so I hope they aren't holding back

4. Ted Ginn is a monster KR. ST better be on their game or it could be the difference.

5. Marrone obviously was outcoached in this game, but it was his first as a HC in the NFL and he was going against the best. That will not be the case next week.

6. While I agree the penalties were disastrous, I truly think the refs got some of them wrong and missed holding on Kyle W and Mario more than once. While that needs to get cleaned up, I am not actually sure that in a game not involving Brady some of those don't go our way.

GO Bills!!!!

Edited by YoloInTheBlo

There is nothing about Carolina's offense that scares me. I don't really see how their receivers are better than New England's. It's marginal at best. Steve Smith is great but aging and really didn't put up great numbers last year. Other than that I see no names on the depth chart. I like their improvements on D, but only to the point that I think we are pretty evenly matched.

I fully expect a win.

Not a blowout, but a win.

My concern is that our defense was very slow, and poor, in pursuit today. We had great play from the secondary most of the game, ok pressure at times, but often failed to get to the ballcarrier in the open field. Cam Newton and the Panthers' running game could destroy us if we don't zip to the ball-carriers.

Biggest thing I'll be wanting to see is taking care of fundamentals.

Penalties, fumbles, dropping open passes, not over pursuing, etc.

That'll be a good start. That being said, I think Carolina presents challenges for our team that we simply can't match, so I'm expecting an 0-2 start.

My concern is that our defense was very slow, and poor, in pursuit today. We had great play from the secondary most of the game, ok pressure at times, but often failed to get to the ballcarrier in the open field. Cam Newton and the Panthers' running game could destroy us if we don't zip to the ball-carriers.

Weird you say that-- I thought the defense looked really fast and strong today. This was a defense on the field for like 70% of the day against the best QB in football-- thought they looked solid.

Weird you say that-- I thought the defense looked really fast and strong today. This was a defense on the field for like 70% of the day against the best QB in football-- thought they looked solid.

We did a good job meeting Amendola and Edelman in pursuit, but could not stop the running backs at all when they had space.

We did a good job meeting Amendola and Edelman in pursuit, but could not stop the running backs at all when they had space.

Maybe as the game went on that was the case, but I attribute that to fatigue. I recall a number of lateral runs by the Patriots in the first half, where we had DB's and LB's blow the play up. The other issue though is Brady-- having to key in on him will always make you susceptible to some surprise runs.

Maybe I'm projecting, but I think getting a win is extremely important for our players next week. If we start 0-2, I can see some players thinking "same-old-bills", and half-assing it around the field.

It absolutely is. In fact, we need to win the next TWO games. Carolina and NYJ are must-wins for this team. We face Baltimore week 4 and we need to have some momentum.

Not that I'm reading into it too much, as we have a lot of things to clean up from today, but I'm feeling better after watching Coach Marrone, Kyle Williams, Eric Wood, Da'Norris Searcy and even Jim Leonard's postgame press conferences (haven't watched Spillers or A. Williams yet). They are responding better to this (i.e. pissed, motivated, full faith in the coaches, recognition that it's week 1, etc) than any loss I've seen in recent years. We still lost though. Next week is going to be nuts.

What game were you watching? You sure you were on the right channel? Were the guys you were watching wearing blue uniforms? :doh:

really expert your gonna act like the bills D wasn't good today?

you lose expert status every time you post. you do know brady could barely score and that was with excellent field position

I agree- defense looked pretty good and light years better than last year. That's promising given we are down to studs in the secondary

I agree- defense looked pretty good and light years better than last year. That's promising given we are down to studs in the secondary

I thought the same thing. They got worn down. If we had more time of possession, which we should next week, and get some freaking holding calls our way, the D will be able to throw Cam's timing off.