Rolling Stone: Hernandez abused Angel Dust, was close to being cut

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting excerpt.

And what I learned in the article, which wasn't in other reports, that Belichick had the ex-state trooper who was the head of Pats security replaced in 2003 by someone from England who didn't have the local law enforcement contacts the former chief did. Big mistake on his part. Someone would reported Hernandez' behavior and unsavory associations to the team long before Lloyd's murder if this hadn't happened.

yea - two things

1) yes everyone knew he had issues, possible gang ties, etc.... the duped comment was in regards to whether or not kraft thought he was putting that behind him. it may still be total BS on krafts part, but the article didnt do much in the way of outlining who knew what about him when.

2) the source on the security thing is of course the head of the company that was fired saying "well we wouldve caught it." similar to the above, it could be completely true, it could be classic scorned ex employee gabbing. i was surprised they didnt flesh this part out a bit more because it is some of the only new insight. i know it was a tight window to research, write, and get to print but i think the pats security details and again ill use the phrase "who knew what about him when" is really how the article wouldve excelled.... as is, it was essentially a summary of our loooong thread pared down to cliffnotes.

Anyone else come away with the thought that AH might actually get away with this?

CBF

im confident he did it

i think the prosecution has a strong case from what weve heard

i dont think its an absolute slam dunk though

arguing "we were going to give the guy a stern talking to and someone else went crazy not me" is something that could help him a lot. based on local law, im not sure how much though. im not an expert by any stretch but weve seen some mixed reports on this.

Edited by NoSaint

funny. i've been around the block, ya know.. and, well, it's only the people who have never been near the stuff who call it angel dust. just, silly, what a silly name. who says that. haha. wow.

i guess the headline "Hernandez did PCP..." wouldn't generate enough hits. but some idiot journalist who has never been near the stuff decides to use an outdated street name... brilliant.

Not surprising. Who would want to admit to using "angel dust"?

Just out of curiosity, what did you guys call it?

Anyone else come away with the thought that AH might actually get away with this?

CBF

There's alot of circumstantial evidence, and the prime witnesses for the prosecution are criminal drug users who would say anything to get time off their sentences. And they haven't found the murder weapon.

Stranger things have happened. (OJ)

Borges on mike and mike right now clarifying statements.

Says he doesn't think BB lied but that reporters ran too far with intentionally vague statements to make their stories sound more definitive. That what they might've known wasnt out of line with what other teams have known about other players and no reason to expect this.

Edited by NoSaint

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/29/rolling-stone-writer-thinks-hernandez-will-be-acquitted-return-to-nfl/

Rolling Stone writer chimes in today saying he thinks that hernandez beats the murder charge, goes to jail on weapons and such, gets out and in 3-4 years is playing in the NFL again.

that he thinks after 4 years in prison hernandez will be playing in the nfl, i think, hurts the credibility of the writer in understanding certain dynamics of the NFL - though ive certainly been wrong before and will be again. if theres one thing the nfl proves its never say anything with 100% certainty, but this seems VERY (bold, underline 72 point font for that "very") unlikely to me. granted he would be just 27, but he would be 4 years removed from football, have a very checkered and public past and perhaps STILL be a risk of further issues.

http://profootballta...-return-to-nfl/

Rolling Stone writer chimes in today saying he thinks that hernandez beats the murder charge, goes to jail on weapons and such, gets out and in 3-4 years is playing in the NFL again.

Probably just received a death threat after the article came out, so he needed to say something positive. ;)

It is possible that the prosecution over-charged him. I still find it stupid that the system doesn't allow a jury in a first degree murder case to just say guilty of second or third degree, or conspiracy to commit murder when they know he did it or at the very least was responsible for it. but cannot necessarily prove beyond a reasonable doubt that they mistake as "any doubt whatsoever" that he pulled the trigger.

Probably just received a death threat after the article came out, so he needed to say something positive. ;)

It is possible that the prosecution over-charged him. I still find it stupid that the system doesn't allow a jury in a first degree murder case to just say guilty of second or third degree, or conspiracy to commit murder when they know he did it or at the very least was responsible for it. but cannot necessarily prove beyond a reasonable doubt that they mistake as "any doubt whatsoever" that he pulled the trigger.

i believe that they can still get him if they can show that the intent from the get go was to kill, regardless of if he pulled the trigger... its an interesting spot, and i dont know the local law beyond what a couple articles have described.

http://profootballta...-return-to-nfl/

that he thinks after 4 years in prison hernandez will be playing in the nfl, i think, hurts the credibility of the writer in understanding certain dynamics of the NFL - though ive certainly been wrong before and will be again. if theres one thing the nfl proves its never say anything with 100% certainty, but this seems VERY (bold, underline 72 point font for that "very") unlikely to me. granted he would be just 27, but he would be 4 years removed from football, have a very checkered and public past and perhaps STILL be a risk of further issues.

I think the 3-4 years undermines the writers basic knowledge of the legal system. From all accounts, AH was there when the murder occurred. He then proceeded to destroy evidence after the fact. Even if he didn't pull the trigger, you are still looking at two very serious charges: (1) conspiracy to commit murder (the texts from Loyd will help establish this, as will the testimony from the others); or (2) accessory after the fact. He clearly was there when the murder happened, and went to great lenghts to cover it up. He's facing a LONG TIME in jail. And your above points are also correct.

IMO there is about a 0% chance he doesn't get convicted of Murder. I haven't even been following the story THAT closely, but let's see:

1) He was with Odin Lloyd the night of the murder at a club in Boston.

2) OL texted his sister minutes before the murder saying, "you know who I'm with...NFL" or something to that effect

3) AH's own security system has him walking into his house (which was a mile away from the crime) minutes after the murder with a gun in his hand

4) AH tried to destroy the video system in his house

5) AH smashed his cell phone in front of the cops and gave them the pieces

6) He had a 'flop house' in a crappy area of boston with guns and drugs.

7) AH is also suspected in the double homicide of two people a year ago who were shot dead in their car. Earlier in the night AH had an altercation with them at a club.

8) Earlier in the year, AH was being sued by a former friend in FL that claimed he got shot in the face by AH

This is just what we, the public, KNOW. The prosecution is still investigating and building a case so it's pretty safe to assume they know a lot more than the public at this point.

He's looking at 30 years in Walpole...at least.

IMO there is about a 0% chance he doesn't get convicted of Murder. I haven't even been following the story THAT closely, but let's see:

1) He was with Odin Lloyd the night of the murder at a club in Boston.

2) OL texted his sister minutes before the murder saying, "you know who I'm with...NFL" or something to that effect

3) AH's own security system has him walking into his house (which was a mile away from the crime) minutes after the murder with a gun in his hand

4) AH tried to destroy the video system in his house

5) AH smashed his cell phone in front of the cops and gave them the pieces

6) He had a 'flop house' in a crappy area of boston with guns and drugs.

7) AH is also suspected in the double homicide of two people a year ago who were shot dead in their car. Earlier in the night AH had an altercation with them at a club.

8) Earlier in the year, AH was being sued by a former friend in FL that claimed he got shot in the face by AH

This is just what we, the public, KNOW. The prosecution is still investigating and building a case so it's pretty safe to assume they know a lot more than the public at this point.

He's looking at 30 years in Walpole...at least.

Except what if they never find the gun and two of the three guys that were actually there swear (Hernandez and Wallace) that it was the third's original idea, and that he took the gun and shot Odin when all the other two wanted to do was scare him?

Except what if they never find the gun and two of the three guys that were actually there swear (Hernandez and Wallace) that it was the third's original idea, and that he took the gun and shot Odin when all the other two wanted to do was scare him?

That'll be the defense story, possibly. No chance a jury believes it. Thankfully, this degenerate is toast.

That'll be the defense story, possibly. No chance a jury believes it. Thankfully, this degenerate is toast.

That's the thing, what we know to "be true" isn't necessarily true at all. A lot of it comes from Ortiz, who is going to be totally abused on the witness stand and much of what he said to police and will say on the stand will not be believed by the jury either. From what has come out already he's not a reliable witness.

I personally think (just pure speculation) that they will have enough to convict, and think he will be convicted. It's impossible to predict what the make-up of the jury will be though.

That's the thing, what we know to "be true" isn't necessarily true at all. A lot of it comes from Ortiz, who is going to be totally abused on the witness stand and much of what he said to police and will say on the stand will not be believed by the jury either. From what has come out already he's not a reliable witness.

I personally think (just pure speculation) that they will have enough to convict, and think he will be convicted. It's impossible to predict what the make-up of the jury will be though.

You are right. You never know what will happen and a single juror could derail the whole thing.

There is just no doubt in my mind that he's 100% guilty and I am pretty confident the prosecution will show that, but anything could happen. You always have to take that into consideration and don't have to look too far to see examples (Casey Anthony).

Unfortunately they only have to believe it possible, not that they believe it as the most likely. Further, they don't all have to feel that way. I expect it to be well contested and hotly debated. It's definitely going to be a made for TV trial.