Rolling Stone: Hernandez abused Angel Dust, was close to being cut

In the new issue of Rolling Stone, a story on Aaron Hernandez alleges the former Patriots tight end was a heavy user of angel dust and had become so paranoid as a result he carried a gun wherever he went. In addition, he cut himself off from friends and teammates, and had angered Bill Belichick so much with his actions — which included missed practices — that he was one misstep away from being released.

The story also alleges his former college coach Urban Meyer may have helped cover up failed drug tests, along with two violent incidents, including an assault and a drive-by shootout outside a local bar.

http://itiswhatitis.weei.com/sports/newengland/football/patriots/2013/08/27/report-aaron-hernandez-used-angel-dust-was-one-misstep-away-from-being-cut/

Interesting how this is coming out right after the NFLPA said they would sue the Patriots on behalf of Hernandez for his off-season workout bonus. Just a coincidence I'm sure.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://itiswhatitis.weei.com/sports/newengland/football/patriots/2013/08/27/report-aaron-hernandez-used-angel-dust-was-one-misstep-away-from-being-cut/

Interesting how this is coming out right after the NFLPA said they would sue the Patriots on behalf of Hernandez for his off-season workout bonus. Just a coincidence I'm sure.

Well, a monthly with an article that's several months in the making only has so wide a window. Rolling stone clearly was after regular season kickoff not nflpa going after a bonus.

That said, damning content if accurate and will blow up the "he was troubled but we thought he was genuinely getting serious about getting away from trouble" narrative.

Yeah it makes Kraft look like a rube for saying he had no idea Hernandez was a problem -- or just good at PR spin.

If JW cared to chime in I'd be curious to hear what he thinks about a story like this coming out. With it turning away from isolated bursts of violence and towards chronic issues I'm wondering about how little was known before. If he was always carrying a gun, on hard drugs, missing practice, and on his last strike.... How did we not hear about it? Are the patriots a unique vault with information? Are personal lives a bit outside the realm of where nfl writers travel unless there's an arrest? General questions around those dynamics are obviously bouncing around my head.

Very curious to see a full article with sourcing and details when available

Edited by NoSaint

Well, a monthly with an article that's several months in the making only has so wide a window. Rolling stone clearly was after regular season kickoff not nflpa going after a bonus.

That said, damning content if accurate and will blow up the "he was troubled but we thought he was genuinely getting serious about getting away from trouble" narrative.

And since when is Rolling Stone Magazine doing the bidding of corporations like the NFL?

So this all happened after Hernandez got his big extension. Sure.

We will see - very curious about the article. If the pats are to be trusted (I know, I know) he had atleast 1 year clean in the nfl. Assuming the 2012 shooting was him that could've been a symptom of these issues or something that helped create the paranoia and reclusiveness

"had angered Bill Belichick so much with his actions — which included missed practices — that he was one misstep away from being released."

Well, go big or go home? That was some misstep!

Yea that line read a bit off to me journalistically - what kind of misstep would've had him cut? I find it hard to believe that short of essentially what happened that he wouldn't have been a patriot right now.

And since when is Rolling Stone Magazine doing the bidding of corporations like the NFL?

Rolling stone has changed dramatically over the past few years. For many reasons the main one being$$$$$.

They have little to say about music anymore since other than indy bands, "rock is dead". Or they opine about the great dinosaur bands. Rap sells to a very limited market

same with Miley, Britney, etc. So they now write on everything with generally poor results.

The quote in the OP's post is actually old news since Hernandez arrest. I can't recall where I read it. But, it's been awhile especially the hidden failed drug tests, and the pats* being pissed off. The angel dust is all that's new.

Rolling stone has changed dramatically over the past few years. For many reasons the main one being$$$$$.

They have little to say about music anymore since other than indy bands, "rock is dead". Or they opine about the great dinosaur bands. Rap sells to a very limited market

same with Miley, Britney, etc. So they now write on everything with generally poor results.

The quote in the OP's post is actually old news since Hernandez arrest. I can't recall where I read it. But, it's been awhile especially the hidden failed drug tests, and the pats* being pissed off. The angel dust is all that's new.

Well, I can see that they still want to sell magazines. But I think it's quite another thing entirely to assume they are doing bidding for the NFL to support their plan to save a few million dollars on a player bonus for Robert Kraft, no?

Edited by BuffaloBob

Well, I can see that they still want to sell magazines. But I think it's quite another thing entirely to assume they are doing bidding for the NFL to support their plan to save a few million dollars on a player bonus for Robert Kraft, no?

I don't know where that's implied. It wasn't in my post.

I don't know where that's implied. It wasn't in my post.

I believe it was implied by the OP when referring to the timing of the release to coincide with their fight with the union, and that was what prompted my response, "Since when does Rolling Stone Magazine do the bidding of corporations like the NFL. Then you responded to me by telling me how the Mag was different now, and more about the money. That is why I said, well trying to sell mags was one thing, but doing the bidding of the NFL was quite another.

Edited by BuffaloBob

I believe it was implied by the OP when referring to the timing of the release to coincide with their fight with the union, and that was what prompted my response, "Since when does Rolling Stone Magazine do the bidding of corporations like the NFL. Then you responded to me by telling me how the Mag was different now, and more about the money. That is why I said, well trying to sell mags was one thing, but doing the bidding of the NFL was quite another.

Got it!