Styx

section122

Got to see Styx at the Chevy Court last night and what a show they put on! It is nice to see a band not just touring for the money and putting their heart and soul into a show.

The first cd I ever owned was Styx Edge of the Century and 10/11 year old me annoyed the hell out of my family playing Show Me the Way repeatedly. Needless to say I was excited to see them live. I brought my wife, sister, and friend and they spent all week giving me a hard time for wanting to see them and how excited I was, cracking jokes about how few people were going to be there, etc. until we got to Chevy Court that is...

10k plus were there to see them. They then proceeded to put on an excellent show. Which got me to thinking (and I'm sure this question will receive many smart ass comments) why don't Styx get more respect? If Journey can tour without their original lead singer and people still flock to see them why can't Styx? Tommy Shaw is an amazing guitarist who doesn't ever get mentioned as one. Lawrence Gowan more than adequately fills in on vocals and keyboard. They have an impressive catalogue inlcuding many hits and songs that should have been hits. So again I will ask - why doesn't Styx get more respect?

i was amazed by the number of friends on facebook that were there....CNY still loves them some classic rock and roll...i saw them at the dome on the paradise theater tour, they were an excellent show

Edited by The Poojer

i was amazed by the number of friends on facebook that were there....CNY still loves them some classic rock and roll...i saw them at the dome on the paradise theater tour, they were an excellent show

Paradise Theater represents a time in my youth when I was discovering my own tastes for music. We had these neighbors, a young couple, who worked at the local Record Town. They gave me a Paradise Theater album and I loved it.

My wife and I went to a Styx, REO Speedwagon, Journey concert years ago. Dennis DeYoung was already gone from the band, but the lead singer did an admirable job.

Styx was a great band. Glad to see they're still out there putting smiles on faces.

...Which got me to thinking (and I'm sure this question will receive many smart ass comments) why don't Styx get more respect?... ...So again I will ask - why doesn't Styx get more respect?

You rang for the smart-ass reason?

Here goes the answer to your question:

"Domo arigato, Mr. Roboto Mata o hima de,

Domo arigato, Mr. Roboto Himitsu wo shiri tai,"

:-P

Yeah ... love Styx, but this rivals, "We Built This City," for worst song EVER RECORDED.

Paradise Theater represents a time in my youth when I was discovering my own tastes for music. We had these neighbors, a young couple, who worked at the local Record Town. They gave me a Paradise Theater album and I loved it.

My wife and I went to a Styx, REO Speedwagon, Journey concert years ago. Dennis DeYoung was already gone from the band, but the lead singer did an admirable job.

Styx was a great band. Glad to see they're still out there putting smiles on faces.

They really did put on an incredible show. I was most impressed by the energy they had. The people I went with were surprised that their catalogue contains so many familiar songs. Chevy court has done well the last few years bringing in groups that are quite the draw. The grandstand on the other hand can't get huge draw bands, charges an arm and a leg, and has a crappy venue to boot.

Yeah ... love Styx, but this rivals, "We Built This City," for worst song EVER RECORDED.

:lol: I'm split on that song. It is a fun song but not a serious song by any stretch of imagination. If you want to really get a good laugh at their expense check out the video for "Too much time on my hands." It was a song I was sure my sister knew so I pulled up the youtube video. Between the pure 80sness of the video and their creepy faces it will at least make you chuckle. The song is awesome, the video leans more towards absurd.

25K according to this article.

Meanwhile Reba only got 6K at the Grandstand.

Wow I knew there were alot but didn't realize it was that many!!! The grandstand in general has been struggling this year as I mentioned earlier. Reba, Carly Rae Jepsen??? Both of them should have been in the Chevy Court!

people are pissed, rightfully so, about the discounted $20 grandstand tickets they are selling as the shows get close.

Very pissed. Which is going to drive sales in future years down. They were lazy and are going to pay for it this year and years going forward. Tickets are too much! The price differentiation is ridiculous as well. The expensive tickets aren't much better than the cheap seats. So once the cheap seats are gone people don't buy the expensive seats.

This leads to the obvious question: if half the original band is no longer with the group, are you watching the "band" or an expensive "cover band"?

Well they brought back the original bassist last night and Tommy Shaw was there rocking hard. I wouldn't call it expensive either as it was a free show but I did pay $6 to go to the fair and 4$ round trip for the bus so I guess it cost me $10 but was well worth it!

It is an interesting question though as Lynyrd Skynard is set to play at the grandstand and tickets there run $25 to $45. Seeing as most of the originals aren't there are they really seeing Skynard? How many people from the original lineup need to be there for it to be considered the band?

My answers are no they aren't and why I wouldn't pay for the tickets. Now if they played at Chevy Court, I wouldn't miss it! As for how many people need to still be there that is trickier. I think it depends on the role of the missing musician and why they are missing. I can think of many bands that replaced people and went on to more success (Van Halen, Metallica), or bands that lost members and conitnued to tour (Pink Floyd), that I would still pay to see. When it starts to be more and more replacements the price I am willing to pay goes down.

This leads to the obvious question: if half the original band is no longer with the group, are you watching the "band" or an expensive "cover band"?

See Furthur. I can see them doing a few Dead tunes but at this point just let it go guys.

hey chef, you no longer work in the cooking industry, give up the cooking you do at home...it's over...let it go...unless of course, it's something you enjoy doing and seem to get positive feedback for those that are enjoying your efforts

See Furthur. I can see them doing a few Dead tunes but at this point just let it go guys.

hey chef, you no longer work in the cooking industry, give up the cooking you do at home...it's over...let it go...unless of course, it's something you enjoy doing and seem to get positive feedback for those that are enjoying your efforts

I don't charge people $50 plus handling charges to come watch me cook.

Don't get me wrong Furthur was one of the top 10, maybe 5 shows I've seen. NYE at the Bill Graham Auditorium in SF. Three sets and a 5 1/2 hour show. I'm just pointing out they're just a Grateful Dead cover band at this point.

i was just busting on you...but I wouldn't call them a cover band...if that was the case...once pigpen and the goodchaux' left the band in the mid 70's any other lineup could be accused of being a 'cover' band...lineups change and the dead/the other ones/furthur haven't really missed a beat...now when you get things like some obscure band claiming the name for his own and performing, then yeah that's a cover band, but if a band continues on and adds and deletes people i'm ok with that

...and don't get me started on the handling fee

I don't charge people $50 plus handling charges to come watch me cook.

Don't get me wrong Furthur was one of the top 10, maybe 5 shows I've seen. NYE at the Bill Graham Auditorium in SF. Three sets and a 5 1/2 hour show. I'm just pointing out they're just a Grateful Dead cover band at this point.

Edited by The Poojer

i was just busting on you...but I wouldn't call them a cover band...if that was the case...once pigpen and the goodchaux' left the band in the mid 70's any other lineup could be accused of being a 'cover' band...lineups change and the dead/the other ones/furthur haven't really missed a beat...now when you get things like some obscure band claiming the name for his own and performing, then yeah that's a cover band, but if a band continues on and adds and deletes people i'm ok with that

...and don't get me started on the handling fee

Lineups change but if they called themselves the Grateful Dead I'd be fine with it. But they are Furthur, the best Dead cover band out there. :D

It's that way with Mickey Hart. Well not quite as bad.

When the Allman Brothers broke up the third time I think Gregg had his solo stuff and played very little ABB, Dickey had Great Southern and did his own thing, Chuck, Jaimoe and Lamar did Seal Level which was completely different from any ABB music.

It's all Jerry's fault. :(

By happenstance I've seen Styx twice in the past couple of years. Hard working band with a setlist to please any one who has listened to a classic rock station. Lawrence Gowan is the best thing that could've happened to them.

Edited by Fatty McButterpants

Wow... I just was looking it (Styx) up. I knew Styx was from Chicago. I didn't know they were from the Roseland neighborhood... That is why my boss (he is from Roseland/Pullman and about the same age as the band members) talks about them and their early name, TW4. Being an outsider, I never knew the close connection to the Chicago/Calumet Region. Now I do. That is literally right next door to my work on the far South Side. It is a pretty rough neighborhood now. They actually have a hospital there... I tell people, if I ever get hurt @ work... DO NOT LET the ambulance take me there... I might catch a stray bullet to make matters worse! And... to have them take the extra 10 minutes and dump me off @ Christ Hospital in Blue Island! LoL... Equally as sad, but lesser of two bad situations!

I was wondering how a name like DeYoung (sounds Dutch to me) was "Chicago." I knew South Holland here in South Chicagoland was settled by the Dutch... Interesting... From Wiki about Roseland/South Holland... BTW, South Holland is dry (alcohol)... Only dry area, I think, in Illinois??

ROSELAND (Chicago Neighborhood, Far South):

"Roseland was settled in the 1840s by Dutch immigrants, who called the area "de Hooge Prairie", the High Prairie, because it was built on higher, drier ground than the earlier Dutch settlement several miles further south of the Little Calumet River, which was called "de Laage Prairie", the Low Prairie, now South Holland, Illinois.

The community was entirely agrarian until the late 19th century, when the town of Pullman, Chicago was built between Roseland and Lake Calumet. George M. Pullman planned a model industrial city built around a factory that manufactured his "Palace" railway coaches. Modern brick homes were built with electricity, plumbing and gas utilities. Skilled tradesmen from all over Europe immigrated to the town of Pullman with many settling in nearby Roseland. Roseland was annexed into Chicago in 1892. The Roseland area became a very cosmopolitan community made up of multi cultural, ethnic and racial backgrounds. There was large population of Italian Americans just east of Roseland in the Kensington community. Most came to the area from the Little Italy neighborhood on Taylor Street making Kensington the center of South Side Italian life. San Antonia de Padua (St. Anthony's) cathedral was a cultural landmark of the area. Supporting businesses flourished rapidly changing the farmland into commercial and residential communities surrounded by a number of industries. Stores on Michigan Avenue served the entire south side of Chicago.

Fortunes began to change in the 1960s when industry patterns lead to economic decline. Steel mills to the east were shuttered. Pullman scaled back production and eventually closed for good in 1981. The huge Sherwin-Williams paint factory closed for good in 1995. A period of rapid ethnic succession took place. Skyrocketing crime rates, gang violence, racial tension and urban decay forced longtime residents and businesses to flee, a phenomenon referred to as white flight. Some new residents purchased homes with federal subsidies and FHA backed mortgages and by the mid-1980s Roseland had one of the highest HUD repossession rates in the city. In the mid-1990s, Roseland gained notoriety as the stomping ground of Robert "Yummy" Sandifer, the child who was executed by his gang at age eleven. Much needed economic and social revival remains elusive..."

Oh, please. Mr. Roboto isn't even in the same league of suckiness as "We Built This City." And that's not even in the same universe as...