Are we overstating the "let-down factor" after the NE game?

YoloinOhio

Of course, but my point is that the entire coaching staff and the majority of the team has not "experienced" either the Bills history, the Pats history, or the history between the two teams. I know why it is the Superbowl for the fans... and why it is major implication in terms of trying to overcome the past and turn the tide. But just saying that more than half the starters will not have that emotional attachment, therefore the perceived "letdown" factor could be less than we what we, as fans, think it will be. Yes, they all know about the success of the Pats, their SBs, etc... but not sure they feel the added pain of veteran Bill or longtime fan of the team when it comes to the Pats.

They haven't experienced it yet b.c they haven't lost yet. If they lose against NE they will know exactly how it feels.

A couple observations:

1. We beat the Jets handily to finish the season last year, so a let down game in Week 1 is definitely a possibility.

1a. Kate Upton calling me on my cell, saying, "I am in the Super 8 Motel down the street. Room 216. Naked and starving for YOU, Gugny. We only have 4 hours, so hurry," is also a possibility.

2. Whenever you are in doubt, or can't make up your mind ... ALWAYS read bleacherreport articles ... and think the opposite.

overstating a letdown after the game?

If they lose its dissapointing but what's new VS the Cheatriots? Last year we got the Putz just after the Refs returned and their 8 flags per game suddenly dropped to 2 IN Buffalo!!!

its more like overstating a win after just 1 week,

Man I had blocked that week 1 jets game out of my head. I think if we play well and win or keep it close there will be no letdown. Then you have the panthers, jets and ravens which all could be decent or better than decent teams. Remember blowing out the pats after getting milloy? That season ended up well for them.

There is only a real rivalry when both teams are good. For now, it is only one of sixteen games. Win or lose will not determine the rest of the year unless someone big gets hurt on either team.

Right, this is why I had "rivalry" in quotes. They feel like a "rival," but it is entirely one-sided. I do think it is more than 1 of 16 games because they are a divisional opponent who had won the division year upon year. Beyond that - this group of guys will not feel any less motivated for the next game because they aren't tied to the emotional history of the Pats-Bills.

overstating a letdown after the game?

If they lose its dissapointing but what's new VS the Cheatriots? Last year we got the Putz just after the Refs returned and their 8 flags per game suddenly dropped to 2 IN Buffalo!!!

its more like overstating a win after just 1 week,

Yes, win or lose I don't think the team itself will look differently at the next game. I do think the fans, however, will.

They haven't experienced it yet b.c they haven't lost yet. If they lose against NE they will know exactly how it feels.

This is why it might be a good thing. This franchise and the fans here have had an inferiority complex. We got so used to getting beaten by those guys every year, and "moral victories" became acceptable. These new guys can just go out and play.

NE historically starts the season slow. It's our best shot at taking a win from their column this year. It'll also be telling how good our DC is. Before Pettine blitzed Brady to death and lost, then sat back in coverage during the playoffs and won. I imagine he's going to have to mix it up to keep Brady off balance.

Part of the reason I liked the Marrone hire, instead of an NFL re-tread, is that he doesnt know he's supposed to fear the Pats.

He doesnt know he's supposed to lose to the Pats.

He doesnt know that he's gonna get outcoached no matter what he does.

---

He knows the Pats are the team to beat. So he hired a DC who has coached against them. He drafted a franchise-type QB. He loaded up on WRs since the Pats SUCK at DB.

And have you watched the Pats try to stop the run this preseason?

I am SOOOOOO ready to get it on.

This is why it might be a good thing. This franchise and the fans here have had an inferiority complex. We got so used to getting beaten by those guys every year, and "moral victories" became acceptable. These new guys can just go out and play.

This is my point exactly...

All this chatting is confusing me. I just want the Bills to kick the crap out of the Pats and then urinate on them. Is that asking too much?

It really isn't about the Pats game itself - obviously we want to do what you said. It is the perceived notion that this game is so "big" to the team, for so many reasons, that it makes the next game seem not as important/easier/etc.... a "let down" doesn't happen as much in the NFL, I don't think, as it does in CFB because the talent level is so much closer usually the NFL teams would never take another opponent lighter than another. But in CFB it does because they could play a big rival or highly ranked team one week and there is a ton of hype and extra motivation that week, then the next week play an inferior team and end up losing because they were emotionally spent from the week before.

I just hope it doesn't end up being a repeat of last year's opener vs. the Jests. I felt like the season was going to be a waste after that game.

That opener last year, talk about a let down. After all the hype to just get smacked around, and realizing, yep. Same old bills. Only bright note that day, I realized spiller was finally "special".

So to me, there will be no letdown as long as they don't get blown out. Maybe some high drama, late in the forth quarter with ej leading us into field goal range with time running out ; only to have Hopkins miss a 35 yard game winner. Ha ha ha. Then I can read how everybody wanted to keep Lindell. Same old bills indeed!!

This "new" Bills organization absolutely has an axe to grind. They want to set the tone for this season and seasons to come. There first goal will be to destroy the Patriots and then follow suit with every other team we face this year. These guys are enthusiastic and CARE about winning. Now let the bloodshed begin. It's our time now, FINALLY. GO BILLS!!!

Just like things went south for the Bills late in Kelly's career, they will soon turn on Brady and the Patriots. This could be the year. You throw young WRs in a hostile, loud environment and they make mistakes. I think the Bills win unless the Pats run wild.