Are we overstating the "let-down factor" after the NE game?

YoloinOhio

I realize that Game 1 against the Pats is like our own personal Superbowl (I include myself in this) but not sure it will really be that way for the team. While it is obviously going to be a huge game in terms of it being the 1st game, at home, against a perennially successful team in the division, there are only a few Bills that will likely look at this game with an extra ax to grind. The coaches, QBs (no matter which one starts) and the vast majority of the D and WRs don't feel the painful history of the "rivalry" (if you can call it that) and therefore I don't think it will result in the "letdown" I have heard people talk about for Carolina and beyond, and like the win or loss in week one will dictate what happens the rest of the season. While players like Stevie, Freddy, and Wood may have an extra chip on their shoulders playing the Pats, I think overall it will not be the emotional juggernaut that it will be the fans....

Edited by YoloInTheBlo

I just hope it doesn't end up being a repeat of last year's opener vs. the Jests. I felt like the season was going to be a waste after that game.

Yes, that would absolutely suck if that happened and for Bills Nation I think it would be the buzzkill of all buzzkills, especially this year. For the team though... I think it would feel pretty bad but they wouldn't take it as "personally" as the fans or the few vets on the team. I think they could move forward and beat the Panthers if they lose, or move forward and beat the Panthers if they win, without letting the outcome of that game decide everything.

I realize that Game 1 against the Pats is like our own personal Superbowl (I include myself in this) but not sure it will really be that way for the team. While it is obviously going to be a huge game in terms of it being the 1st game, at home, against a perennially successful team in the division, there are only a few Bills that will likely look at this game with an extra ax to grind. The coaches, QBs (no matter which one starts) and the vast majority of the D and WRs don't feel the painful history of the "rivalry" (if you can call it that) and therefore I don't think it will result in the "letdown" I have heard people talk about for Carolina and beyond, and like the win or loss in week one will dictate what happens the rest of the season. While players like Stevie, Freddy, and Wood may have an extra chip on their shoulders playing the Pats, I think overall it will not be the emotional juggernaut that it will be the fans....

You know, I don't know if it quite is overstating things. There's blood in the water and we all know it. Tom Brady did not look 100% last night. Most of his recievers from last year are gone or injured. We are playing a home game season opener, where (if EJ is starting) the Pats will have to gameplan for a QB they've barely seen. The fans will be going ballistic. Even if losing won't be the worst thing ever, it means that even in the worst adversity they've seen in years the Pats are still the better team than we are. Winning means that we get a win against a division leader, and those wins are vital if we even want to contend for a wild card..

You know, I don't know if it quite is overstating things. There's blood in the water and we all know it. Tom Brady did not look 100% last night. Most of his recievers from last year are gone or injured. We are playing a home game season opener, where (if EJ is starting) the Pats will have to gameplan for a QB they've barely seen. The fans will be going ballistic. Even if losing won't be the worst thing ever, it means that even in the worst adversity they've seen in years the Pats are still the better team than we are. Winning means that we get a win against a division leader, and those wins are vital if we even want to contend for a wild card..

The divisional impact for sure... I just look at someone like Kiko Alonso, Kevin Kolb, EJ Manuel, even Mario, Jerry Hughes, anyone who hasn't been on the team for a number of years and think that the first game could be against Dolphins or Jets and it would have the same meaning to them. Divisional win/loss... and the extra hand-wringing we do about the fact that it is Pats will not be there for the players. Edited by YoloInTheBlo

I wonder as well. Everyone connected with the Bills and EVERY fan would be ecstatic with a win in the Opener and we'll proclaim "SUPERBOWL!" But the Panthers blew so many games last year (remember the many disillusioned Cam post-game pressers?), that they are absolutely counting our game this year as a win. They'll be in their new all-back digs and we'll be strutin' the white throwbacks.

Hopefully, there's something to having a Marketing guy at the top..

The divisional impact for sure... I just look at someone like Kiko Alonso, Kevin Kolb, EJ Manuel, even Mario, Jerry Hughes, anyone who hasn't been on the team for a number of years and think that the first game could be against Dolphins or Jets and it would have the same meaning to them. Divisional win/loss... and the extra hand-wringing we do about the fact that it is Pats will not be there for the players.

Disagree.

The Cheatriots*** have won multiple Super Bowls and appeared in others under their present coach and are still viewed as one of the league's premier franchises.

The Dolphins and Jets are virtually in the same boat as the Bills.

And you don't think Marrone and staff aren't motivated to beat the great Belichick in their first NFL game as a staff?

I think the intensity will be just as intense for the team as for the fans.

Disagree.

The Cheatriots*** have won multiple Super Bowls and appeared in others under their present coach and are still viewed as one of the league's premier franchises.

The Dolphins and Jets are virtually in the same boat as the Bills.

And you don't think Marrone and staff aren't motivated to beat the great Belichick in their first NFL game as a staff?

I think the intensity will be just as intense for the team as for the fans.

I think they would be motivated to win any divisional game, and outside of the D maybe wanting to take Brady's head off because he is Brady, I don't think this particular team with the number of rookies and new faces, will put as much of a personal motivational spin on this game as the fans will.

Do you think Bellicheat and the Pats* want to lose the first game of the season to a Rookie HC and new staff?

You can look at it both ways...

That being said, I hope we grind them into the Field Turf....

Do you think Bellicheat and the Pats* want to lose the first game of the season to a Rookie HC and new staff?

You can look at it both ways...

That being said, I hope we grind them into the Field Turf....

No but he also got smoked by the Bills like 31-0 one year in Game 1 and went on to win the SB that year, so...

I didn't realize that we had a stated opinion on a 'letdown factor' related to the first game. How did I miss this?

What is the solution? I'm thinking we have to lose out to prevent this 'letdown factor.'

Huh? No... the letdown can go either way via win or loss to impact the next game. The opinion has been expressed many times by fans, most recently I saw it on the Bleacher Report's win-loss predictions for the Bills season... tried to link it but the administrator won't let me link to the site. You can go to Bleacherreport.com ->Buffalo Bills -> Buffalo Bills 2013 Scheduled: Win-Loss Predictions for Every Game

You don't win this game it will be harder to give these guys confidence to win the next. Hopefully EJ starts...

I agree, but that would be true of any Game 1 with a young/unproven team. Edited by YoloInTheBlo

Huh? No... the letdown can go either way via win or loss to impact the next game. The opinion has been expressed many times by fans, most recently I saw it on the Bleacher Report's win-loss predictions for the Bills season... tried to link it but the administrator won't let me link to the site.

I agree, but that would be true of any Game 1 with a young/unproven team.

Yea but how many of those teams haven't made the post season in 13 years? Even the Hawks before Russell made it into the playoffs. It is just different when your team has been the worst in the NFL for so long the writing is almost tattooed on the franchise.

Edited by Meatloaf Sandwich

Yea but how many of those teams haven't made the post season in 13 years? Even the Hawks before Russell made it into the playoffs. It is just different when your team has been the worst in the NFL for so long the writing is almost tattooed on the franchise.

Of course, but my point is that the entire coaching staff and the majority of the team has not "experienced" either the Bills history, the Pats history, or the history between the two teams. I know why it is the Superbowl for the fans... and why it is major implication in terms of trying to overcome the past and turn the tide. But just saying that more than half the starters will not have that emotional attachment, therefore the perceived "letdown" factor could be less than we what we, as fans, think it will be. Yes, they all know about the success of the Pats, their SBs, etc... but not sure they feel the added pain of veteran Bill or longtime fan of the team when it comes to the Pats. Edited by YoloInTheBlo

Huh? No... the letdown can go either way via win or loss to impact the next game. The opinion has been expressed many times by fans, most recently I saw it on the Bleacher Report's win-loss predictions for the Bills season... tried to link it but the administrator won't let me link to the site. You can go to Bleacherreport.com ->Buffalo Bills -> Buffalo Bills 2013 Scheduled: Win-Loss Predictions for Every Game

I agree, but that would be true of any Game 1 with a young/unproven team.

so, we're doooooooomed no matter the outcome? Then I say 0-16 for Clowney. Maybe that will help the team overcome this 'letdown factor' that you speak of.