Manuel Update(Rumor)

Agreed (unless maybe if it's at the end of a bad season and a loss gets us the next Bruce Smith) how about the more realistic statement:

I would much rather they lose with Manuel than lose with Kolb.

If I thought they would win (much) with Kolb, this would all be a non-issue.

Exactly. I know what the original poster meant, but it was a nonsensical statement.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd think I'd rather watch the Bills lose with Manuel at QB than watch them win with Kolb. Just saying, we need to make the move to EJ and get on with the future.

This has got to be one of the more ridiculous things I've read on here in a long time. Talk about a culture of losing, gheez.

I would rather win with your mother at QB than lose with EJ.

Edited by reddogblitz

I think the only thing they have to do is put out an accurate injury report; they're not obligated to tell anyone outside that locker room who is starting.

The practices are closed to the public and media after preseason ends, right?

Your right. Why tell Billy B. who your starter is going to be even though he;s smart enough to figure it out. Might as well take advantage of a potential element of surprise. And maybe not ever seeing the Bills offense and defense on film with the exception of preseason is another advantage for us. We could use a few for a change. Whether its a false sense based on hope or a geniune competency I feel Marrone and his staff will have this team prepared to come out of the gate "guns blazzin'" on week one. Not something I could say about previous regimes.

Chuck was my boss for three years and is still a good friend.. He doesn't mention something in an article if he doesn't have a lot of confidence and good sources telling him that it's true.

"THE GOOD NEWS is that he'll supposedly be fine by month's end."

Not really breaking news. Marrone has said as much. IMO, it's no longer wishful thinking that EJ will take the majority of snaps in practice leading up to the Opener and start.

Well written article. Pollard is hidden 'down there' in Olean.

I can't even begin to list the "prestigious" job offers he has received and refused to take over the years. Take one step into our little sports writing section of OTH and look behind his desk. There's probably between 20-30 AP awards there for his writing. One of the best kept secrets.

Fail. No fan prefers their team losing.

Obviously... but since no one is able to predict the future, you start the guy you think gives you the best chance to win. If that is EJ week 1, and they happen to lose, the poster was just saying that he would rather roll the dice with EJ than start Kolb. He has earned the start if healthy, thus far.... we will see what Kolb brings these next two games. Edited by YoloInTheBlo

EJ earned the start and his procedure was minor(drainage). He will start week one. The cool controversy we have at hand is Jeff Tuel being provided with first team reps. Kolb couldn't out perform work out equipment. I think Kolb gets the start this week and after impressing no-one will get second half of game 4, where Tuel will win back up. Kolb is the vet.. better heard then seen. Luckily they'll all be handing the ball to CJ. Let's go B-Lo!

I hope Pollack is right. I have found inaccuracies in his articles in the past.

I would rather see Manuel start than Kolb, I just think it will be more fun.

Joe Buscaglia wrote something about yesterday's practice that was disturbing. He called it "Kolbing", it is Kolb's tendency to buy time by rolling right. I recall reading prior to the opening of camp that this is something that has gotten him into trouble in the past.

Obviously... but since no one is able to predict the future, you start the guy you think gives you the best chance to win. If that is EJ week 1, and they happen to lose, the poster was just saying that he would rather roll the dice with EJ than start Kolb. He has earned the start if healthy, thus far.... we will see what Kolb brings these next two games.

Marginally better than the original statement which simply made no sense.

However, I would say the coach should play whoever gives us the best chance to win more games this season.

I don't really have much doubt he should be expected to practice the week leading up to the opener.

My real question which we haven't gotten clear answers on yet is how much will he be able to practice next week?

Getting non-contact reps the week of our preseason finale would really help get him back and on target to start the opener, even if he clearly won't play in the meaningless finale.

I don't think anybody knows yet, and I haven't heard anything to indicate one way or another, but wearing a red jersey in 11 on 11s next Wednesday I don't think has been ruled out.

I can't imagine that EJ would miss the opening game...there are very few knee proceedures where you would miss 2-3 weeks...ACL/PCL are year- 6 months...MCL/LCL usually rest no surg, if it requires surgery then months of rehab not weeks..which leaves a scope to clean up cartalage or a loose body-week to two weeks out...possible an injection or having the knee drained -week or so...

I think the coaches know they have their starter and decided to get a small problem that EJ could have played with talken care of now rather than have it linger for the season...I think we wont even be able to notice that something was done come week one...(just the opinion of a PT...if there are any knee doc on the board with different thoughts fire away...)

I had the bursa sac blow up on me after I fell and hit my knee on the Bball court. The ortho Doc. drained it and told me not to run for 7-10 days due to possible infection. I'm wondering if that's all it was. In fact, I'm throwing it out there that it HAD to be something like this and Week 1 is virtual lock. I felt like I could run immediately and IF it was just a fluid drain, EJ will be practicing as the #1 leading up to Patriots game.

Chuck was my boss for three years and is still a good friend.. He doesn't mention something in an article if he doesn't have a lot of confidence and good sources telling him that it's true.

I can't even begin to list the "prestigious" job offers he has received and refused to take over the years. Take one step into our little sports writing section of OTH and look behind his desk. There's probably between 20-30 AP awards there for his writing. One of the best kept secrets.

Thank you for that. I did not know . I do read Mr Pollards writings on occasion and he is clear minded and fair enough, as compared to some who have an agenda...

The difficult position Marrone is in is this. If he starts Kolb week one it becomes fairly difficult to switch up to our future in Manuel.

At least politically. If Kolb is bad enough to bring Manual in then Marrone made the wrong decision at the outset .

He could wait for the inevitable injury ( precisely spaced floor mat ) to switch up but it may not happen.

If he starts Manuel and he struggles mightily, its a bit less painful politically at this point.

so what do you do if Kolb plays very well at Washington Saturday. Do you let him play well even ? or complicate the play calls and give him little protection? or put Welch at guard and Turnley at center in the 3rd pre season game just to help the decision along? it sounds absurd but man , if its true competition... Kolb could win it .

Tough call if i was Coach at this point. next Saturday is a big deal at the QB position i bet .

let the best man win ?

The fans here will revolt if Kolb wins the start against our evil nemesis.

I myself dont care . Thank gosh we have real options this year and thats a milestone in and of itself

Edited by 3rdand12

I had the bursa sac blow up on me after I fell and hit my knee on the Bball court. The ortho Doc. drained it and told me not to run for 7-10 days due to possible infection. I'm wondering if that's all it was. In fact, I'm throwing it out there that it HAD to be something like this and Week 1 is virtual lock. I felt like I could run immediately and IF it was just a fluid drain, EJ will be practicing as the #1 leading up to Patriots game.

I was thinking either bursa or torn meniscus. I've had both - the meniscus tear required arthroscopic surgery to grind off the piece that was sticking up/out and I was off crutches in about 10 days...

Exactly. I know what the original poster meant, but it was a nonsensical statement.

People--and this includes you--need to have a time horizon longer than just one season. An action can be in the long-term interests of the franchise, without necessarily being in its short-term interests. "Win now" sounds catchy, but that philosophy is not a substitute for a long-term blueprint. No sane blueprint for a Super Bowl winner includes Kolb at starting quarterback. A younger, unknown player--such as Manuel or Tuel--may be part of such a blueprint. If there's an opportunity to gain more information about our younger quarterbacks, and perhaps speed their development, and if a few extra losses is the price we pay for that information, then to someone with a long-term perspective, paying that price is well worth considering. Only to someone with a one season time horizon is his suggestion nonsensical.

I've enjoyed his articles for a long time,Hoppe on the Sabres too.... Edited by Fredo G.

People--and this includes you--need to have a time horizon longer than just one season. An action can be in the long-term interests of the franchise, without necessarily being in its short-term interests. "Win now" sounds catchy, but that philosophy is not a substitute for a long-term blueprint. No sane blueprint for a Super Bowl winner includes Kolb at starting quarterback. A younger, unknown player--such as Manuel or Tuel--may be part of such a blueprint. If there's an opportunity to gain more information about our younger quarterbacks, and perhaps speed their development, and if a few extra losses is the price we pay for that information, then to someone with a long-term perspective, paying that price is well worth considering. Only to someone with a one season time horizon is his suggestion nonsensical.

We should all have one season time horizons in professional sports. We're not taking about your teenager developing; we're taking about professionals being paid for a living. After thirteen years I want wins any way I can get them, and to hear someone say they'd rather lose because a particular QB is on the field is insulting.

We should all have one season time horizons in professional sports. We're not taking about your teenager developing; we're taking about professionals being paid for a living. After thirteen years I want wins any way I can get them, and to hear someone say they'd rather lose because a particular QB is on the field is insulting.

One of the most important reasons we went thirteen years without making the playoffs is because our GMs have been too shortsighted. Look at what we've had:

TD (first post-playoff era GM)

• In his first year, he used a 2nd round pick on a RB; even though Antowain Smith had plenty of gas left in the tank.
  • In his second year as GM, he traded away a first round pick for another team's aging backup QB.
  • In his third year as GM, he used a first round pick on a RB, despite the fact Travis Henry had gas left in the tank.
  • In his fourth year as GM, he allowed Antoine Winfield to go first-contract-and-out. TD chose to squander the Winfield money on Troy Vincent and Lawyer Milloy. To someone with a win-now mentality, two aging players are better than a Pro Bowl player at a premium position, entering the prime of his career.

Marv (second post-playoff era GM)

• In his first year as GM, he decided the Bills had to get better right away. That meant he was locked into the concept of using his first two draft picks on a DT and an SS. The result was that he squandered the 8th overall pick on Donte Whitner, before trading up later in the first round for the McCargo bust. Had Marv not been so focused on improving right away at those two positions; he could have had much better long-term players at other positions. Nick Mangold--the player Marv passed up to take McCargo--became the best center in the league. But Marv thought he was "all set" at center because of Melvin Fowler; whereas he correctly perceived a need at DT.
  • In his second year as GM, Marv used the 12th overall pick on yet another running back; despite the fact that Willis McGahee had plenty of gas left in the tank. RBs are a favorite pick of GMs looking to make a quick impact; because they are expected to significantly contribute as rookies.

Back when he was GM, Marv said that, "if you're building for the future, you're building for someone else's future." His moves as GM were consistent with that philosophy. That is why Marv's period as GM did not build any sort of future for the Bills.

I'm tired of quick fixes and Band Aid solutions. I'm tired of cardboard and duct tape. This team needs to be built the right way, even if it means building more slowly than a quick fix artist would build it. A long term blueprint is essential--far more important than short-term wins or losses. Once the team is built to spec, the wins will inevitably follow.

It's Pollock (pronounced "PAH-lick") for those who seem to be getting it mixed up haha.

I've enjoyed his articles for a long time,Hoppe on the Sabres too....

Hoppe works freelance and would randomly call us up and tell us he had an article for the paper. Was an interesting setup that, I assume, he still does. He writes for a few other publications, as well. I only met him once because he never came into the office (came in one night because I believe Chuck requested he came in to discuss his articles).

Definitely does a solid job considering the circumstances.

Thank you for that. I did not know . I do read Mr Pollards writings on occasion and he is clear minded and fair enough, as compared to some who have an agenda...

Yea, he always just does his job. He reports what he sees/hears and makes sure everything is factual when writing. A very old school guy who doesn't enjoy the new twitterverse media. He doesn't think he needs to be the first to report something, and he doesn't really care to go hard at getting scoops. Although he was told that the team wasn't extremely interested in resigning Stevie until they found out his agent wasn't asking for a whole lot. He never reported that, but I always thought that was fun.

The one time I remember him every reporting a "scoop" was when Lee Evans got an extension. I was still in high school at this point and it was the first time I had ever met him. I asked him about the process of reporting breaking news through a newspaper and he told me to check out tomorrow's paper to see an example and there was that report.

He reminds me a lot of Boston's Bob Ryan who also hates the twitter news NOW world (he actually decided to retire because he didn't want to keep up with it). I met Bob Ryan twice, and he's a surprisingly nice guy. From reading his articles and seeing him on ESPN I always assumed he would be rude, but that's not even close to being true. At least not in my dealings.

Edited by DStebb716

In the early '90's, I had two scope procedures on my knees. The rehab was long, and difficult. In 2004,when I was a much older man,

I had a third procedure,and I was walking normally in three days,and running inside of two weeks without any physical therapy!

Today's medical procedures are different, but there is also the uniqueness of each individual case. That being said, I would bet that

EJ will be the starter on opening day without any issues.