What is the deal with Mario?

YoloinOhio

I think Mario's role is far more one-dimensional than the likes of Gilmore and/or CJ.

Considering that Mario Williams is arguably the most complete and well-rounded DE on the planet, you might want to come up with a different theory.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering that Mario Williams is arguably the most complete and well-rounded DE on the planet, you might want to come up with a different theory.

No, thanks. I stand by my statement. His one job is to get to the QB. He's been doing it for years. He doesn't need the practice.

No, thanks. I stand by my statement. His one job is to get to the QB. He's been doing it for years. He doesn't need the practice.

I don't think he needs to practice either, but if you really think his one job is to get to the QB then you are missing an awful lot of football.

I don't think he needs to practice either, but if you really think his one job is to get to the QB then you are missing an awful lot of football.

I'm oversimplifying. Just underscoring the (what I believe to be) fact that he really doesn't need practice, which we seem to be in agreement over. I know he does a hell of a lot more than go after the QB.

Other than Watt, I believe he is as well. There's a lot more to a great Defensive End than rushing the passer. A great run stopping Defensive End can be a game-changer, and that's what separates guys like Watt and Mario from the Dwight Freeneys of the world. Against a guy like Freeney, you run right at him. You can't do that with the other two.

Edited by Lt. Dan's Revenge

10.5 sacks last year on a terrible vanilla defense. Guy produced. You should probably sheck your bust terminology. Aaron Maybin = Bust. not Mario Williams.

At $100 million I'd expect a lot more from him. He's nothing until he's something.l..and I don't think he's earned his paycheck yet..as a defensive end or as a team leader. Hope he does both this year.

Keen an eye on Mario Williams.

He's an outstanding football player with a brain in his head and a lot of common sense.

And because he has a brain in his head and a lot of common sense he knows whether the Bills are good team or not.

Last year he mailed it in IMHO because he knew the Bills sucked.

If Williams plays well this year it's because he believes in this team and knows it will succeed.

If he mails it in again like he did last year that tells us what he thinks about the Bills this year and what we can expect from this team as fans.

He "mailed it in" while becoming the first Bill to have double-digit sacks in a few years. Sheesh. I like him even more.

At $100 million I'd expect a lot more from him. He's nothing until he's something.l..and I don't think he's earned his paycheck yet..as a defensive end or as a team leader. Hope he does both this year.

Just out of curiosity (and because I'm bored right now), what exactly is going to qualify as evidence of "team leadership" of which you speak? And similarly, where is your evidence this doesn't currently exist?

Answer to question one. 8 or more wins Answer to question two. Six or fewer wins.

Yikes. So in your world, if the Bills win 8 or more it will mean Mario is a team leader, and if they win 6 or fewer it means he is not?

I think I'll just bow out of this thread now. :cry:

Look..he isn't in the top ten or even top fifteen sackmasters. He's on a losing team. He's sitting out preseason...he is streaky as hell. I don't know what would make him worth $100 million. I'd hope that for that amount he'd be a pro-bowl player (hell for that amount I'd want a hall of fame player) and a leader of the defrense. Didn't happen. Maybe it will this year, and I hope it does. But right now he's nothing special.

Yikes. So in your world, if the Bills win 8 or more it will mean Mario is a team leader, and if they win 6 or fewer it means he is not?

I think I'll just bow out of this thread now. :cry:

Yeah, this discussion has jumped the shark big time...

Look..he isn't in the top ten or even top fifteen sackmasters. He's on a losing team. He's sitting out preseason...he is streaky as hell. I don't know what would make him worth $100 million. I'd hope that for that amount he'd be a pro-bowl player (hell for that amount I'd want a hall of fame player) and a leader of the defrense. Didn't happen. Maybe it will this year, and I hope it does. But right now he's nothing special.

he's not getting paid $100M. Guaranteed $50M. Just like Nate Clements didn't get the $80M he signed for when he left.

Edited by nucci

Can you please list the 15 sack masters ahead of him? He had 10.5 sacks in Wanny's scheme!! That would be like 14 in a regular NFL defense. Some people will never get over his contract. I guess it's jealousy because why do you really care what he is paid? Would you like him more if his contract was $80M?

He will be one of the leading sack guys again this year. I am thinking about 15 sacks.

Keen an eye on Mario Williams.

He's an outstanding football player with a brain in his head and a lot of common sense.

And because he has a brain in his head and a lot of common sense he knows whether the Bills are good team or not.

Last year he mailed it in IMHO because he knew the Bills sucked.

If Williams plays well this year it's because he believes in this team and knows it will succeed.

If he mails it in again like he did last year that tells us what he thinks about the Bills this year and what we can expect from this team as fans.

I think you may be right, and that this is very common throughout the NFL. It may not be "professional", but I can see why guys wouldn't be real anxious to sacrifice their bodies for a lost cause.