A few observations after re-watching Vikes game

I think Kolb has run the offense as fast as EJ, I think the difference is the effectiveness of how it's being run. They're both getting plays off very, very quickly. The difference is that EJ has been getting rid of the ball much faster (avg of 2.2 seconds per drop compared to 2.9 for Kolb according to PFF, which is significant). EJ has also been more accurate, composed in the pocket and is a threat to run the ball, which is the only way any type of zone read play will work.

Point being - This offense will be fast no matter what, Manuel's efficiency makes the difference.

Interesting stat from the Buffalo broadcast: 76 percent of EJ Manuel's plays snapped w/ 23-plus seconds on play clock. Kolb at 12 percent.

— Chris Burke (@ChrisBurke_SI) August 17, 2013

Like I said not even close.

I'll put in a 5th or whatever of Kevin. After the first few series he played a lot better. Those last 2 drives were nice. Nice crisp passing to open WRs. I know we all want EJ, but patience may be required. In the meantime, Kevn's our man and he'll be OK if our D can hold down the points and we get our run game on track.

Fred is fine. Looked to me like he ran the ball very well Friday night. I have no concerns at all that he'll be very good this year.

No one has mentioned that Dangerfield kid. On that series near the goal line where Minn eventually score he made a couple of nice plays. The kid can't get any respect.

Jp Losman has enough arm to run Hacketts offense. Does he have the poise and decision making to do so?

hey now ! thats just rude. as i said he has the mentality for the position and can throw a long ball accurately.

Last year i would have paid out of my own pocket to have him on the team. Well almost.

Something about a gift horse....

I don't think I've heard anyone give a shout out for DT Jay Ross. Granted it was later in the game, against 2nd or 3d stringers, but he blocked 3 passes and was generally very disruptive on the line.

Jay Ross has really pushed for a position. one of my under the radar favorites along with Jamie Blatnick .

Interesting stat from the Buffalo broadcast: 76 percent of EJ Manuel's plays snapped w/ 23-plus seconds on play clock. Kolb at 12 percent.

— Chris Burke (@ChrisBurke_SI) August 17, 2013

Like I said not even close.

That is interesting. Did not see that stat. Just seemed to me from watching the game that Kolb was running it just as quickly as Manuel. Looks can be deceiving!

Manuel's long drive for a TD, especially when Kolb couldn't do diddly squat, was very impressive. Manuel was the best offensive player for the Bills vs Minny.

I don't agree regarding Moats. He's playing ILB because we have nobody else behind Alonso and Bradham. He's better suited for OLB. The Bills need another solid ILB or they could be in trouble this year.

We are woeful at TE.

We are loaded at WR. If you could only keep two, who do you keep among Hogan, D. Rogers, Easley, and Kaufmann??

Our O-line will be fine, but we really only have eight good ones: Glenn/C. Brown/Woods/Urbik/Pears/Hairston/Young/Legursky.

We have no big back to carry the ball in short yardage situations.

Our CB depth is not good. We could use a vet CB or even two.

Brooks is a playmaker. He;ll get burned on occasion, but he is aggressive and will make some big plays for us this year.

Hughes could be a real stud as a pure pass rusher. Best player on the field vs Minny.

Lawson and Carrington are both solid players. 91 and 92 look a lot alike on the field.

Gilmore's prowess is already forcing opposing QBs to throw away from his side of the field. That's a no brainer when you think about it.

Woods is quickly becoming one of my favorite players. So much poise and talent for a rookie.

I love the armored tank that is F. Summers. He's got a roster spot locked up with his ST play.

C. White is a solid player on ST and has a good chance to make the final roster because the Bills are so thin at ILB.

On the Jackson topic... he's always looked slow. I remember we all had this debate when we argued about Lynch and Jackson, and a lot of posters (including myself, iirc) called Jackson slow. I think it's due to his running style, more than anything.

To me, TC and Brown are basically the same

I think we're going to find out that the most significant difference between them is that one of them can play in this league and the other one can't.

My observations on the game are

1) Kolb locks onto the 1st WR way to much. Doesn't scan the field as well as EJ. Also his accuracy needs to improve, too many dirt balls. Maybe its rust, maybe its because he sucks.

2) Ron Brooks is improving, I liked the hits he was making out there.

3) Way too many penalties.

4) CJ was running between the tackles too much, he does better on the edges. Let Fred run between the tackles.

5) I love the young WR corp, making great catches.

6) Jeff Tuel might surpass Kolb on the depth chart.

I read that he gained 10 lbs of muscle and has worked his a$$ off this offseason. I'm guessing he wanted to put on the weight in order to protect himself from getting injured but we'll see if it backfires. I'm not worried about FJ at all. The guy puts in the work and leaves everything out on the field. He's older, sure, but I think he can still be relied upon to carry his share of the offense.

I'm with you on that - if Freddie were called upon to be our top RB, he'd still average near 5 yards a carry, I'd be willing to bet. Sure, he'd have his share of 2 and 3 yard runs, but he'd also have his share of 8-12 yard runs, too. IMO, Freddie, as he is right now, is a perfect compliment to Spiller. Freddie gets the YAC, he can catch the ball out of the backfield, and he can block.

I'm with you on that - if Freddie were called upon to be our top RB, he'd still average near 5 yards a carry, I'd be willing to bet. Sure, he'd have his share of 2 and 3 yard runs, but he'd also have his share of 8-12 yard runs, too. IMO, Freddie, as he is right now, is a perfect compliment to Spiller. Freddie gets the YAC, he can catch the ball out of the backfield, and he can block.

None of that matters a damn if he can't hold onto the football.

My brother and I drove up from Maryland to watch the game Friday night. Couple thoughts/responses to what others have said...

1. Regardless of what any reports said, it's not possible to put on 15lbs of lean muscle in a few months. That said, I think Fred probably has gotten stronger because he knows his role and will be the guy on short yardage situations and will be fine. He doesn't seem to move laterally as well as he used to, but we have yet to see how he does once he reaches the secondary. I have a feeling he still looks like Freddie once he gets going.

2. Happy trails Kelvin. Welcome to Buffalo, Jerry Hughes! It seems Pettine is getting the most out of Hughes. Looking forward to seeing if he continues this success into the season.

3. The first team defense looked great! The highest compliment you can pay to a DB is not mentioning them during the game, and that's what's going on with Gilmore. Great player. D-line looked dominant even without Mario. Hoping Brooks starts showing more consistency. He could be very good. He is a monster on special teams but has had some poor play in coverage.

4. Searcy has not impressed me, so I'm hoping Aaron Williams steps up. Meeks looked terrible.

5. Kolb will be better than this first start. However, he is pretty much the same player as Fitz. If he ends up starting this season, he won't win games, but if our defense continues to play this well and if he can limit the mistakes, we could be alright (a lot of 'ifs' I know...)

6. I'm really hoping EJ comes back asap. He's our guy. He looks the part and has been playing well. Granted it's only the preseason, but he has only improved throughout camp and preseason.

7. One thing I noticed about the offense with EJ: There was a drive (EJ's second drive I think?) where we had three offensive penalties. Last year if we had a few penalties on offense, all hope seemed to be lost. Not anymore. The offense kept charging ahead and I'm pretty sure that was EJ's TD drive.

8. Woods doesn't look like a punt returner to me. He had a very nice return on Friday, but I'd rather see McKelvin back there. He's a pro receiver though.

9. Hogan continues to make the most of his time out there. Really hoping Da'Rick makes the team. He has all the physical talent to be a great player. So what if he's immature. I think it will prove to be worth the patience with him.

10. Choice looked very good. The other two RBs looked ok but nothing to be too excited about.

11. Special Teams looks great! I took a leap of faith and took the Bills D/ST in fantasy football.

12. Can't wait for the season! Going into it with no expectations, but a lot of optimism. GO BILLS!