A few observations after re-watching Vikes game

someone should defend Kevin here.

Last 13 passes 11 were completions . he got comfortable . I am glad to have him aboard till the EJ dynasty.

Moats impressed me as do all the linebackers. Very warm fuzzy feeling about them this year as they rip heads off little bunnies with a football in hand.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good job, OP.

Really?

Where did you see that?

That's concerning to me too.

Don't recall where I saw it now but Freddy has a bit of a chip on his shoulder. I recall him saying that folks think he is too old. He said he is out to prove them wrong and has worked his butt off in the off-season to be in the best of physical condition.

Perhaps this could account for some of that weight gain ?

After watching that game it's no wonder why Glenn was "struggling" vs Hughes in practice...that guy was everywhere. Every bit the pass rusher he was supposed to be coming out of TCU.

Yep. And that can only help the OTs he faces in practice.

GO BILLS!!!

someone should defend Kevin here.

Last 13 passes 11 were completions . he got comfortable . I am glad to have him aboard till the EJ dynasty.

Moats impressed me as do all the linebackers. Very warm fuzzy feeling about them this year as they rip heads off little bunnies with a football in hand.

I'm making the bold prediction that Kolb surprises all the naysayers next Saturday afternoon.

GO BILLS!!!

Yep. And that can only help the OTs he faces in practice.

GO BILLS!!!

I'm making the bold prediction that Kolb surprises all the naysayers next Saturday afternoon.

GO BILLS!!!

....and I'll second that prediction.

uh oh.

Okay i third the vote .

My take has alway been he would/should start depending on preseason. Today I am more sure than ever Manuel is the future and pleased to say so.

But Kevin is no slouch mentally and has enough arm to run Hackett's O

He looks fat, stiff and slow to me.

You need to look at him though the proper lens.

Perhaps this could account for some of that weight gain ?

He won Marrone's offseason team lifting competition. That's probably where all the fat came from.

Other than that holding call in the red zone, Brown seems OK.

Copied from Shoutbox: Pete Damilatis ‏@PFF_Pete 5m

Cordy Glenn off to a good start. He has the highest @PFF grade of any LT, and has yet to surrender a QB pressure. #Bills

Cordy Glenn looked VERY good last night going against one of the best in the game in Jaren Allen. A good test against the type of DE that gives him the most trouble. And looking at how Hughes totally blew up last year's #1 OT in the draft, I'm thinking that Cordy is being nicely tested in practice, too.

GO BILLS!!!

Cordy's play was very encouraging. I thought he showed very well last year, and being an offensive line guy, Marrone should really be able to maximize his abilities.

After watching that game it's no wonder why Glenn was "struggling" vs Hughes in practice...that guy was everywhere. Every bit the pass rusher he was supposed to be coming out of TCU.

Well...there goes that idea for a thread. :beer: Nice work fellas. What else can we say other than:

This is a rare instance in the recent history of the Bills, where 2 players are going against each other and winning/losing every day in camp, due to an epic battle of skill, and not due to an awful lack of it.

I don't think Hughes beats Kalil as easily without practicing against Glenn. And, raise your hand if you thought Glenn would have the highest PFF grade, after everything you read prior to the games.

Also, I guess I make the 4th vote that says Kolb will do better against the Skins. I don't think Kolb, personally, can do much worse than he did Friday. He is a better QB than he showed. I do think that perhaps some of the "feeling pressure that isn't there" can be attributed to practicing against our D every day. I think that is more likely to affect a vet than a rookie. A rookie doesn't have a frame of reference. But, please understand: EJ is the starter.

He looks fat, stiff and slow to me.

I'm all for CJ being the starter. I absolutely love him. But it seems that you've forgotten that Fred is the type of back where he gets better and faster as the game goes along. You're not going to get a good assessment with watching him get 5 carries a game...

I'm all for CJ being the starter. I absolutely love him. But it seems that you've forgotten that Fred is the type of back where he gets better and faster as the game goes along. You're not going to get a good assessment with watching him get 5 carries a game...

CJ is a top-5 back in this league. You get him the ball as much as humanly possible. It doesn't matter how much better Fred gets as the game moves along. It's really a moot point.

CJ is a top-5 back in this league. You get him the ball as much as humanly possible. It doesn't matter how much better Fred gets as the game moves along. It's really a moot point.

Gentlemen: the opposing teams will be having this debate on Tuesdays and Wednesdays this season, when they are putting in their gameplan. We don't need to be having it. All we have to do, and I know this is really strange for us, but really, all we have to do is sit back and enjoy. They have to struggle, they have to deal with the fear, uncertainty, and doubt. Not us.

CJ has been given the ball over and over when he has been in. They gave it to him 4 times in a row to start this past game. What else do you need?

As I said: sit back and enjoy. Fred will get it plenty. Morever, we will constantly be screwing with them in terms of whether Fred or CJ is rushing, blocking, running patterns out of the backfield, or splitting out before the snap. Given what I've seen from Hackett so far? It's more than likely you ain't seen nothing yet in terms of Fred/CJ and how they will be used.

Revel in that.

Gentlemen: the opposing teams will be having this debate on Tuesdays and Wednesdays this season, when they are putting in their gameplan. We don't need to be having it. All we have to do, and I know this is really strange for us, but really, all we have to do is sit back and enjoy. They have to struggle, they have to deal with the fear, uncertainty, and doubt. Not us.

CJ has been given the ball over and over when he has been in. They gave it to him 4 times in a row to start this past game. What else do you need?

As I said: sit back and enjoy. Fred will get it plenty. Morever, we will constantly be screwing with them in terms of whether Fred or CJ is rushing, blocking, running patterns out of the backfield, or splitting out before the snap. Given what I've seen from Hackett so far? It's more than likely you ain't seen nothing yet in terms of Fred/CJ and how they will be used.

Revel in that.

reveling away sir !

- Everyone has talked about the game that Jerry Hughes had, and it is well deserved, but another linebacker that played a great game was Arthur Moats. He was quick to diagnose plays, consistently took on the blocker(s) and seemed very comfortable making the defensive calls in Kiko's absence. I feel very good about him as the backup middle backer going into the season.

- Speaking of linebackers, both Blatnick and Dowtin played very well. I think they are both making this team.

- I know there's a thread about it, but Searcy truly did look lost out there. Slow reactions. Out of position many times. He has some physical abilities, but it seems his football IQ is really lacking. "Surprise" cut.

- Freddy looked better than the first game, was much more decisive. I am still very comfortable with him getting 5-10 carries a game. Capable backup to CJ. He is a great pass blocker and will still get you some tough yards.

- Zach Brown really flashed in this game. He was decisive and finished runs. Good pad level. I am intrigued to see more of him.

Excellent post/observations ... and what I totally agree with is re-quoted above.

I thought Arthur Moats looked really good out there flowing around and making plays at ILB. Alonzo is a stud and freak athlete, but it's good to see we have some depth with #52 and the others you mentioned.

Searcy is in the Kelvin Sheppard category for me ... by now, he has put a fair amount of work on tape, and I really do not remember him making any real good plays at all. Aaron Williams looks like much more of a playmaking safety after only two preseason games. Will not be surprised or concerned if #25 is shown the door in favor of Williams/Meeks/whomever else.

Fred is a great handcuff, and looks more like an older Curtis Martin/Thurman/Emmitt out there. Blazing speed into the hole was never his game, but I love watching him run patiently behind his blockers. He is so good at setting up defenders one way, then slash through another way for 7 extra downhill yds. He rarely makes mistakes, and maximizes every run. #22 has been a workhorse when needed. He is the perfect handcuff for CJ, and I can only hope to secure their services in fantasy ball this fall.

uh oh.

Okay i third the vote .

My take has alway been he would/should start depending on preseason. Today I am more sure than ever Manuel is the future and pleased to say so.

But Kevin is no slouch mentally and has enough arm to run Hackett's O

Jp Losman has enough arm to run Hacketts offense. Does he have the poise and decision making to do so?

Kolb looked like these injuries have taken a toll on him. Slower, panics first sign of pressure, off target. He can't even run the offense as fast as EJ (not even close).

I think Kolb has run the offense as fast as EJ, I think the difference is the effectiveness of how it's being run. They're both getting plays off very, very quickly. The difference is that EJ has been getting rid of the ball much faster (avg of 2.2 seconds per drop compared to 2.9 for Kolb according to PFF, which is significant). EJ has also been more accurate, composed in the pocket and is a threat to run the ball, which is the only way any type of zone read play will work.

Point being - This offense will be fast no matter what, Manuel's efficiency makes the difference.

Edited by Lt. Dan's Revenge

I just finished rewatching the game this morning. [ . . . ]

Agree with you guys about FredEx...he's not the same back. I love that Brown and Gaskins are is a bulkier backs who are is showing some flashes, and TC had a few nice runs, as well.

---(I think Gaskins has that same nose for getting every micro-inch that's available on a play that FredEx does. But younger and stronger and bulkier. To me, TC and Brown are basically the same)

I think Da'Rick really may be looking at being cut...

---(I agree with you here. I harped all off-season about us needing to draft Grown-Ass Men. Like EJ. But Da-Rick doesnt seem to realize yet that this is grown-up football. Men feeding their families. Stop being so glad to just be here. Put in some WORK).

Tuel may not have a cannon, but he puts a nice zip on the shorter and intermediate passes and he's good about leading his receiver.

just my $.02.

Edited by maddenboy

No need for concern. It's all muscle weight according to what he said. He's stronger, which is a good thing to be when you're the best pass blocking running back on the team.

Not many guys would say, "Man I slacked off this off season and put on 15 lbs of fat. I hope nobody notices." Except maybe SJ.....