A few observations after re-watching Vikes game

- Since yesterday's news, a lot of the talk has been the worry over the possibility of Kevin Kolb seeing significant playing time. The biggest thing that I noticed about his play in this game is that he feels pressure that isn't there. "Happy feet" if you will. There were multiple times in this game where he had the opportunity to step up into a clean pocket and keep his eyes downfield, yet he continuously fled the pocket much too early. This is a big no-no for any quarterback, and really hamstrings the receivers.

- Along these same lines, the offensive line had a very solid game. I'm starting to think that Colin Brown can play LG. I do think Hairston is superior to Pears though, and am anxious to have him back.

- Everyone has talked about the game that Jerry Hughes had, and it is well deserved, but another linebacker that played a great game was Arthur Moats. He was quick to diagnose plays, consistently took on the blocker(s) and seemed very comfortable making the defensive calls in Kiko's absence. I feel very good about him as the backup middle backer going into the season.

- Speaking of linebackers, both Blatnick and Dowtin played very well. I think they are both making this team.

- I know there's a thread about it, but Searcy truly did look lost out there. Slow reactions. Out of position many times. He has some physical abilities, but it seems his football IQ is really lacking. "Surprise" cut.

- Speaking of the secondary, Ron Brooks is a tough one to figure out. Sometimes he looks like the best tackling corner that we have, then he misses a gimme in the open field. Sometimes he is in perfect cover position, other times he is turned around and leaves his man wide open. It is really feast or famine with him.

- Freddy looked better than the first game, was much more decisive. However it's becoming apparent that he has definitely lost some of the burst that he once had. There were a couple plays that he had an alley, and got a few yards when a couple years ago he may have gotten 10-12. That said, I am still very comfortable with him getting 5-10 carries a game. Capable backup to CJ. He is a great pass blocker and will still get you some tough yards.

- Zach Brown really flashed in this game. He was decisive and finished runs. Good pad level. I am intrigued to see more of him.

- The last note I made that really summarizes what I've liked from the first two preseason games is: "Proactive". That truly seems like it is what this team wants to do and they did it in this game. We're dictating the pace on offense (I got an average of about 22 seconds left on the play clock when the ball is snapped, which is incredible) and the defense is doing the same thing by bringing different pressure packages and forcing the quarterbacks to panic and abandon their progressions on a ton of pass plays. I'm very encouraged with this change in philosophy thus far. This is the way to attack the new NFL on both sides of the ball, and I'm glad that we are doing this as well as any other team in the league through two games.

- 3 weeks until New England!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good job, OP.

I'm not too concerned with the O-line either. They seem to be getting better.

Jared Allen had about 5 pass rush snaps against Cordy Glenn and Cordy stonewalled him. Brown looked fine. Barring injury I think our O-line will be just fine.

Moats is a good football player but clearly doesn't have the length and athleticism of Kiko. I don't think you'll see him defending TEs in the end zone like Kiko did with Fleener. That said, if he's a solid backup that's all we need for now. I liked our LB play but think we need more depth there.

With regards to Searcy, I wonder if this is the week that Duke Williams makes a push for more playing time. I sure hope so.

Brooks is a bit of an enigma but young players are often inconsistent. I love that they're playing him in the slot more because that's what he played mostly at LSU where he was a very good slot blitzer. I have high hopes for Brooks still.

Freddy has definitely lost a step. My biggest concern with him is that I hope he stays low and protects his legs. On the play last year where he was hit by LaRon Landry and injured his knee, I couldn't believe that he didn't get lower sooner on that play. When a running back loses that little bit of quick-twitchability he needs to run differently. IMO Freddy has to try not doing too much and just concentrate on getting the yards that are there.

Freddy gained 15 lbs. Should not have. Wrong age for a RB to be gaining weight. I am concerned.

Really?

Where did you see that?

That's concerning to me too.

Other than that holding call in the red zone, Brown seems OK.

Copied from Shoutbox: Pete Damilatis ‏@PFF_Pete 5m

Cordy Glenn off to a good start. He has the highest @PFF grade of any LT, and has yet to surrender a QB pressure. #Bills

Freddy gained 15 lbs. Should not have. Wrong age for a RB to be gaining weight. I am concerned.

Why did he gain that weight? Was it the coaches asking him to bulk up? Makes no sense otherwise. Like you said, being north of 30 as an RB is worrisome enough, but deliberately making yourself slower and less agile could be career threatening.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

I just finished rewatching the game this morning. EJ hasn't even showed what he can really do yet, so it's just incredibly aggravating that he's out for the rest of the preseason. I'm hoping it ends up being a non-issue moving forward and he's back asap. One thing that I love about what I'm seeing is that he's constantly resetting his feet and he's actively scanning the field QUICKLY. Anyone who saw the sports science testing they did on him knows that he scored off the charts in terms of read and recognition, and it seems like he's doing a great job of translating this skill to practical football. He just gives the impression that he's not only being coached well, but he's paying attention to what he's being taught. I truly believe we got it right with this kid.

I loved when they put up a stat later in the game that of the first 11 defensive plays of the 3rd quarter, Pettine blitzed our boys 8 of those. Just reminds me of all the years where we "never had the right personnel to run the 46 correctly"...or how "blitzing just puts too much pressure on the secondary"...blah blah blah. When you blitz SMART, it can be a valuable tool. Pettine is smart.

I like Frank Summers receiving skills, but there were a few plays where he just got HAMMERED by a LB. Greenway just blew his asss up on one running play to the right early in the game....it was embarrassing.

Agree with you guys about FredEx...he's not the same back. I love that Brown and Gaskins are bulkier backs who are showing some flashes, and TC had a few nice runs, as well.

I think Da'Rick really may be looking at being cut...

Tuel may not have a cannon, but he puts a nice zip on the shorter and intermediate passes and he's good about leading his receiver.

I'm starting to miss Moorman.

- Since yesterday's news, a lot of the talk has been the worry over the possibility of Kevin Kolb seeing significant playing time. The biggest thing that I noticed about his play in this game is that he feels pressure that isn't there. "Happy feet" if you will. There were multiple times in this game where he had the opportunity to step up into a clean pocket and keep his eyes downfield, yet he continuously fled the pocket much too early. This is a big no-no for any quarterback, and really hamstrings the receivers.

He definitely seemed 'Trentative' out there. Hopefully that's just a case of him not facing real action for ~10 months. If not, his tenure backing up EJ will be short.

He'll get a lot of action against the Skins. For his sake, he'd better make the most of that one.

Really?

Where did you see that?

I read that he gained 10 lbs of muscle and has worked his a$$ off this offseason. I'm guessing he wanted to put on the weight in order to protect himself from getting injured but we'll see if it backfires. I'm not worried about FJ at all. The guy puts in the work and leaves everything out on the field. He's older, sure, but I think he can still be relied upon to carry his share of the offense.

Edited by MDH

Good job, OP.

I'm not too concerned with the O-line either. They seem to be getting better.

Jared Allen had about 5 pass rush snaps against Cordy Glenn and Cordy stonewalled him. Brown looked fine. Barring injury I think our O-line will be just fine.

Moats is a good football player but clearly doesn't have the length and athleticism of Kiko. I don't think you'll see him defending TEs in the end zone like Kiko did with Fleener. That said, if he's a solid backup that's all we need for now. I liked our LB play but think we need more depth there.

With regards to Searcy, I wonder if this is the week that Duke Williams makes a push for more playing time. I sure hope so.

Brooks is a bit of an enigma but young players are often inconsistent. I love that they're playing him in the slot more because that's what he played mostly at LSU where he was a very good slot blitzer. I have high hopes for Brooks still.

Freddy has definitely lost a step. My biggest concern with him is that I hope he stays low and protects his legs. On the play last year where he was hit by LaRon Landry and injured his knee, I couldn't believe that he didn't get lower sooner on that play. When a running back loses that little bit of quick-twitchability he needs to run differently. IMO Freddy has to try not doing too much and just concentrate on getting the yards that are there.

Really?

Where did you see that?

It's less than I thought but still: http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2013/08/02/fred-added-lean-muscle-to-frame/

Rotoworld's take:

He's listed at 216, so the weight gain is actually near ten pounds. F-Jax says he "feels great," but it's probably not a great decision for a 32-year-old back coming off double knee injuries. Historically, the tendency to add weight has cost running backs explosion. Recently asked what Jackson's 2013 role will be, coach Doug Marrone replied, "I think it would be too soon to say exactly." Aug 2 - 8:05 PM

Hughes was impressive.

Our OL still worries me a little bit. We've accomplished zero in the passing dept vs 1st team defenses IMO.

Searcy was terrible. I pray Duke can step up and take his snaps. I think Searcy is a liability playing in this defense. His coverage is bleh.

Gilmore looks to me like the best player on the roster.

I don't like what I've seen from kolb. He had chandler open on the incomplete pass to hogan. Doesn't seem to see the field very and as the Op said, has happy feet. He just isn't comfortable in the pocket or stepping up into it.

Woods is gonna be special.

I love Ron Brooks. Yes he makes mistakes, but I just think he's gonna be a good one.

Mike Pettine.....man, this guy is great. He's a difference maker and I hope he's with us for years to come. But I doubt it.

I think it's going to take our guys awhile to fully adapt to this offensive pace Hackett runs.

I like frank summers.

Cjs stiff arm on Sanford was great.

Hughes was impressive.

Our OL still worries me a little bit. We've accomplished zero in the passing dept vs 1st team defenses IMO.

Searcy was terrible. I pray Duke can step up and take his snaps. I think Searcy is a liability playing in this defense. His coverage is bleh.

Gilmore looks to me like the best player on the roster.

I don't like what I've seen from kolb. He had chandler open on the incomplete pass to hogan. Doesn't seem to see the field very and as the Op said, has happy feet. He just isn't comfortable in the pocket or stepping up into it.

Woods is gonna be special.

I love Ron Brooks. Yes he makes mistakes, but I just think he's gonna be a good one.

Mike Pettine.....man, this guy is great. He's a difference maker and I hope he's with us for years to come. But I doubt it.

I think it's going to take our guys awhile to fully adapt to this offensive pace Hackett runs.

I like frank summers.

Cjs stiff arm on Sanford was great.

With the blitzing and "Blanket Gilmore" the Bills are going to make things tough on opposing QBs. The run D still doesn't look great to me though - am a bit concerned. LOVE Robert Woods. Looking like an outstanding draft pick.

No need for concern. It's all muscle weight according to what he said. He's stronger, which is a good thing to be when you're the best pass blocking running back on the team.

Edited by DefenseWinzChampionshipz

Cordy Glenn looked VERY good last night going against one of the best in the game in Jaren Allen. A good test against the type of DE that gives him the most trouble. And looking at how Hughes totally blew up last year's #1 OT in the draft, I'm thinking that Cordy is being nicely tested in practice, too.

GO BILLS!!!

Cordy Glenn looked VERY good last night going against one of the best in the game in Jaren Allen. A good test against the type of DE that gives him the most trouble. And looking at how Hughes totally blew up last year's #1 OT in the draft, I'm thinking that Cordy is being nicely tested in practice, too.

GO BILLS!!!

Cordy's play was very encouraging. I thought he showed very well last year, and being an offensive line guy, Marrone should really be able to maximize his abilities.

Cordy's play was very encouraging. I thought he showed very well last year, and being an offensive line guy, Marrone should really be able to maximize his abilities.

Cordy was a force last year before the dreaded high ankle sprain. Boot up the KC game again if you get a chance. When you see a man that size 30 yards down field looking to make a block, that's all you need to know about his passion to play the game.

I'm amazed at how the OLine has looked from a procedural standpoint given the frenetic pace they are playing at. They are very well coached from what I can see.

GO BILLS!!!

GO BILLS!!!

After watching that game it's no wonder why Glenn was "struggling" vs Hughes in practice...that guy was everywhere. Every bit the pass rusher he was supposed to be coming out of TCU.