I actually think the WR battle is over

Max997

The top 4 are obvious with Stevie, Graham, Woods, and Goodwin

Easley has made the team as far as I'm concerned and with the way they are using and going to Hogan I can't see him not making the team which would make 6 assuming that's how many they keep

My take in Rodgers is he either isn't getting or showing it in practice or they are simply trying to hide him in hopes of stashing him on the practice squad. I don't see him making it through waivers though considering the hype around him and the fact that he is considered a first round talent.

Brad Smith was always a longshot to me even after restructuring his contract

Edited by Max997

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Easley has made the team as far as I'm concerned and with the way they are using and going to Hogan I can't see him not making the team which would make 6 assuming that's how many they keep

My take in Rodgers Rogers is he either isn't getting or showing it in practice or they are simply trying to hide him in hopes of stashing him on the practice squad. I don't see that happening though considering the hype around him and the fact that he is considered a first round talent.

The sixth or seventh WR that makes the team would most likely be among the inactives on a weekly basis barring injury. If I'm constructing my roster, I'm looking at long term potential to make the biggest impact from a talent perspective. Guys like Hogan, Kaufman, et al. can be found as Street FAs during the season if things get bad on the injury front. That's my take.

My take in Rodgers is he either isn't getting or showing it in practice or they are simply trying to hide him in hopes of stashing him on the practice squad. I don't see him making it through waivers though considering the hype around him and the fact that he is considered a first round talent.

The X factor for who gets kept or cut as the #5 and #6 WR is ST. How do Hogan, Kaufman, Easley, Smith and Rogers look on ST, especially kicking side?

The thing with Rogers is he may get picked up if we cut him but I think it will be difficult for him to make a teams final 53.

It's not a may, but Rogers will get picked up if we cut him. He is first round talent, but a questionable attitude. We know we weren't the only team who tried to sign him as an UDFA. So he will get snatched up by a team with a need. This has to go into the who to cut decision making. A player like Hogan or Kaufman, while not necessarily lesser players, may be easier to sneak on the PS.

The sixth or seventh WR that makes the team would most likely be among the inactives on a weekly basis barring injury. If I'm constructing my roster, I'm looking at long term potential to make the biggest impact from a talent perspective. Guys like Hogan, Kaufman, et al. can be found as Street FAs during the season if things get bad on the injury front. That's my take.

Agree 100%, I will be disappointed if either of them make the final roster. Perfect though for the PS.

I would like the top 4 to be Stevie, Woods, Goodwin, Easley. Graham hasn't shown me anything to be in the top 4- but would keep him, Hogan, Smith. Stash Rogers on the Practice squad in case of injury. I know folks think Smith is useless, but I don't. This is a very young team and guys like him and Freddie are good for the offense. Smith can make plays at WR, perhaps they have him throw the ball with some nifty tricks. I would keep him. They restructured his deal, he is not costing them that much.

It's not a may, but Rogers will get picked up if we cut him. He is first round talent, but a questionable attitude. We know we weren't the only team who tried to sign him as an UDFA. So he will get snatched up by a team with a need. This has to go into the who to cut decision making. A player like Hogan or Kaufman, while not necessarily lesser players, may be easier to sneak on the PS.

A WE depleted team like the Chargers (even the Pats) would be ready to sign Rogers the second he is placed on PS, mark my words. I think this is why he isn't getting any playing time too, trying to hide him.

I don't know if DaRick Rogers is not doing well in practice or if he is still a behavorial problem. There is something going on the Bills brass is not telling us about. If this guy is a first round talent why hasn't he moved up on the depth chart? Why is he not getting much playing time in the preseason games? Either he is not as good as advertised or he's back to smoking dope. Something fishy is going on there. We will find out soon at the cut down date. If they cut him someone will take a chance on him hoping they can take the ghetto out of him. All the other teams know about him you can't hide him on the practice squad. I would think you would have a much better chance of another team not claiming Hogan off the practice squad. Teams could have had Hogan in the off season if they wanted him, so I don't think all of sudden there is going to be a demand for his services. Kaufman may be another guy you may be able to hide on the practice squad.

I don't know if DaRick Rogers is not doing well in practice or if he is still a behavorial problem. There is something going on the Bills brass is not telling us about. If this guy is a first round talent why hasn't he moved up on the depth chart? Why is he not getting much playing time in the preseason games? Either he is not as good as advertised or he's back to smoking dope. Something fishy is going on there. We will find out soon at the cut down date. If they cut him someone will take a chance on him hoping they can take the ghetto out of him. All the other teams know about him you can't hide him on the practice squad. I would think you would have a much better chance of another team not claiming Hogan off the practice squad. Teams could have had Hogan in the off season if they wanted him, so I don't think all of sudden there is going to be a demand for his services. Kaufman may be another guy you may be able to hide on the practice squad.

Why does it have to be he's not as good as advertised or that he's smoking dope? He's a rookie. Not all of them "get it" right away. Some are Robert Woods others are not. He only played one year at Tennessee then at D2 Tennessee Tech. He's jut getting outplayed by more consistent vets. From the reports, he's flashed his potential at times. I think Rogers winds up with a phantom injury and winds up on IR. He wouldn't be able to practice, but he would be able to do everything else, much like Easley did. IR is the only way to ensure he's not scooped off waivers if they try to sneak him on the PS and the only way to keep all the players who earned their spot, but keeping Rogers potential in WNY.

The question we need to ask ourselves is, do we care if Rogers is cut/put on PS?

I personally am satisfied going into the season with the 6 wide receivers you projected to have a roster spot. So to answer the question I asked above, the answer would be no. No I would not care if Rogers was cut/put on PS/picked up by another team. That would be greedy.

Now on another note, if the Bills FO for some reason wanted to keep 7 wide receivers, then I would believe that it's a competition between Rogers and Kauffman. Brad Smith would cost too much to have as a backup so I honestly don't know why he's still on the team. All Brad Smith is good for at this point is to give away our gameplan to the Jets because when he gets cut, I believe that's where he'll land...

EDIT: Brad Smith is a good player to have on special teams so I guess keeping him would actually be smart...

Edited by DefenseWinzChampionshipz

I don't agree that the WR battle is over. I think it's going heat up now that the preseason is coming to a close. The Bills have more POTENTIAL talent at wide receiver than they have had in years. Remember I did say "potential". In my opinion they have 8 wideouts that can play at this level. The Bills, because of the numbers game, will be forced to cut wideouts that will probably make other teams. I wish they would keep 7 but I don't think they will. Most likely they will only keep 6. Guys I think have the potential to play in the NFL include Stevie, Graham, Woods, Goodwin, DaRick Rogers, Easley, Kaufman, and Hogan. Brad Smith too but I would rather pick 6 from the young guys. Smith is a jack of all trades but only adequate as a wide out. That's why I didn't put him on my list. I figure they will try to sneak Kaufman on the practice squad so that leaves Rogers, Hogan, and Easley fighting it out for the last one or two spots. I hope two spots as I would keep 6 instead of 5. But I'm not Marrone.

A few factors to consider:

1) The 3rd QB is almost never active on gameday

2) The 6th WR is some times not active

3) The 7th WR is almost never active

4) The 3rd TE is almost always active

5) A fullback will make this roster

From there I draw the conclusion that Brad Smith could be kept at the 6th WR as an insurance policy on EJ Manuel. If he is not ready and heading in to game 1 you have Tuel and Kolb active. If Kolb goes down, more likely then people want to realize, Tuel can go in or Smith can go in. A rookie against Belicheck or a Smith at QB against Belicheck. Pick your poison.

We know the top 4 WR's. 5...6...shakey, but we can be confident Easley is amont the top 6. If we keep 7, that's two more. Regardless of who they are I look at it like this:

1) Rogers could be signed to a team off PS or waivers on a team that is weak at WR and has a lot of veterans - Carolina???

2) Hogan is on everyones speed dial as soon as a starter goes down or week 1 looks awful - San Diego???

3) Easley is trade bait to someone who wants have a younger, solid WR who might be a little bit shakey - Green Bay???

Apart of me doesn't think Rogers gets it yet I mean look at Dez Bryant and Justin Blackmon. It took Dez 2 years to understand what he meant to that team he gets it now and in his 4th season he's the man there. Justin Blackmon seems to be going that route like Dez did. I think Da'Rick could be the same he has the same talent level as them IMO so it'll just take a while. There is no way he gets cut but it sure makes the decision tough. Hogan is on, Easley looks good and Brad Smith is Mr. Whatever You Need. Not sure how this plays out....

A WE depleted team like the Chargers (even the Pats) would be ready to sign Rogers the second he is placed on PS, mark my words. I think this is why he isn't getting any playing time too, trying to hide him.

I agree with the immediate snatch up if cut, but I really don't think a professional organization would purposely retard the development of a player just to "hide" them on a PS. There's too much at stake for a rookie to be denied quality playing time during the preseason.

3) Easley is trade bait to someone who wants have a younger, solid WR who might be a little bit shakey - Green Bay???

I don't think an NFL team would find any value in a WR who is entering his 4th season and has shown absolutely nothing for a historically WR-deprived team. Then again, we have also been historically denied any decent QB to throw him the ball for a long time too.

Edited by kas23

I don't think an NFL team would find any value in a WR who is entering his 4th season and has shown absolutely nothing for a historically WR-deprived team. Then again, we have also been historically denied any decent QB to throw him the ball for a long time too.

He is an already vested player who has shown talent. He is a better call then a guy who would be on his 3rd year and therefore become vested. If you're GB and you want a WR you'd prefer someone with NFL time vs. someone off the streets. IMO, and it's woth about $.30 but still, just kind of the way I figure it.

I don't understand all the "hide" talk of the practice squad. If a team wants a player on the any practice squad I was under the impression all they needed to do was offer to sign them to their active roster, am I mistaken? If this is the case, passing waivers or not doesn't prevent a team from acquiring one of these receiversif they need help in that spot, right?

Edited by cklapka