I actually think the WR battle is over

Max997

The top 4 are obvious with Stevie, Graham, Woods, and Goodwin

Easley has made the team as far as I'm concerned and with the way they are using and going to Hogan I can't see him not making the team which would make 6 assuming that's how many they keep

My take in Rodgers is he either isn't getting or showing it in practice or they are simply trying to hide him in hopes of stashing him on the practice squad. I don't see him making it through waivers though considering the hype around him and the fact that he is considered a first round talent.

Brad Smith was always a longshot to me even after restructuring his contract

Yep Hogan and Easley are clearly the next best two. They have plenty of practice squad candidates including Kaufman. Assuming they keep 6 WR there is not a need to keep two WR on the practice squad. Rogers will have to make his NFL bones with another team. Both Hogan and Easley can replace Smith nicely on the Practice squad. I would try my best to trade a WR. Edited by Trader

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with the immediate snatch up if cut, but I really don't think a professional organization would purposely retard the development of a player just to "hide" them on a PS. There's too much at stake for a rookie to be denied quality playing time during the preseason.

I don't think an NFL team would find any value in a WR who is entering his 4th season and has shown absolutely nothing for a historically WR-deprived team. Then again, we have also been historically denied any decent QB to throw him the ball for a long time too.

@KAS - I have to agree with your assessment 100% I see it the same way. Good post dude.

I don't understand all the "hide" talk of the practice squad. If a team wants a player on the any practice squad I was under the impression all they needed to do was offer to sign them to their active roster, am I mistaken? If this is the case, passing waivers or not doesn't prevent a team from acquiring one of these receiversif they need help in that spot, right?

I could be wrong but I believe the team that practice squad player is on gets the option of promoting that player to their active roster or lose him in that situation

I don't see any of the bubble receivers having any trade value to other teams

You got that right Max. Another team isn't going to trade for a player they can get for free if they wait for ten days until the cut down date. That would be stupid on their part to give something up when they don't have to.

I don't understand all the "hide" talk of the practice squad. If a team wants a player on the any practice squad I was under the impression all they needed to do was offer to sign them to their active roster, am I mistaken? If this is the case, passing waivers or not doesn't prevent a team from acquiring one of these receiversif they need help in that spot, right?

Any team can take a PS player from another team ---but he has to be placed on their 53 man roster--- without any compensation...teams will pluck players from other teams practice squads.

There is a rule to prevent a team specifically plucking a player from a teams PS whom they play in an upcoming game only to get inside information on their play calling/strategy

You got that right Max. Another team isn't going to trade for a player they can get for free if they wait for ten days until the cut down date. That would be stupid on their part to give something up when they don't have to.

teams will if they are in the bottom part of the waiver wire.

Seattle is a team loaded at CB that some of these players are going to get cut...jacksonville is in desperate need of a CBs so they will likely claim anything Seattle cuts so a team later on in the waiver wire who knows they need some CB depth likely looks to do a deal with Seattle for one of these players. Its possible that team is in the same situation but a different position that Seattle needs so they just swap players.

If they cut him someone will take a chance on him hoping they can take the ghetto out of him.

Sorry, but this is borderline racist comment. Rogers grew up in Rome, GA. If you've ever been there or looked at a map, you'd know this is hicksville and nowhere near any ghettos. He attended two different schools in TN, both of which are no where near big cities (Knoxville and Cookeville).

That being said, it appears from the outside that Rogers isn't either performing or understanding the offense. He was already called out during a game by Eric Wood for lack of effort on a play. From what I've read, I already think he's toast as a Bill. If he's on the final cut list, I doubt many teams would be interested in signing a guy with these problems. This may be the end of his NFL career unless the Bills sign him to the PS.

My 2 cents.

I don't agree that the WR battle is over. I think it's going heat up now that the preseason is coming to a close. The Bills have more POTENTIAL talent at wide receiver than they have had in years. Remember I did say "potential". In my opinion they have 8 wideouts that can play at this level. The Bills, because of the numbers game, will be forced to cut wideouts that will probably make other teams. I wish they would keep 7 but I don't think they will. Most likely they will only keep 6. Guys I think have the potential to play in the NFL include Stevie, Graham, Woods, Goodwin, DaRick Rogers, Easley, Kaufman, and Hogan. Brad Smith too but I would rather pick 6 from the young guys. Smith is a jack of all trades but only adequate as a wide out. That's why I didn't put him on my list. I figure they will try to sneak Kaufman on the practice squad so that leaves Rogers, Hogan, and Easley fighting it out for the last one or two spots. I hope two spots as I would keep 6 instead of 5. But I'm not Marrone.

There is a way to keep 7 WRs on the roster---

they dont keep a FB--one of then is signed to the PS

The breakdown I see on the team:

QB 3

RB 3

FB 0/1

WR 7

TE 3

OL 9/8

Offense: 25

K/P/LS: 3

DEF: 25

DL 8

LB 7

DB 10

Edited by djp14150

Rogers>Smith, reason is simple, potential, while Brad Smith could act as a emergency QB, Rogers provides a more physical WR. Hogan and Easley are the gunners. I would look to move Smith, get a 6th for him.

Rogers>Smith, reason is simple, potential, while Brad Smith could act as a emergency QB, Rogers provides a more physical WR. Hogan and Easley are the gunners. I would look to move Smith, get a 6th for him.

No one will give us a dime for Smith til he shows he's useful for something and for that to happen he needs playing time in the preseason and it doesn't seem like that's going to happen in week 3 with Johnson and Graham coming back.

Releasing him is the only way he leaves the Bills.

A WE depleted team like the Chargers (even the Pats) would be ready to sign Rogers the second he is placed on PS, mark my words. I think this is why he isn't getting any playing time too, trying to hide him.

Correct me if I'm wrong but we don't place a guy on the PS, not only does he have to clear waivers, he then has to agree to sign a practice squad contract with us. If we cut him, I can't imagine us being the most attractive place to return- just taking a guess for a guy that's ultra talented and perhaps lacking maturity I don't think that's a pill he'd love to swallow. Even if it means going to someone else's PS, I don't think you see him in buffalo if we cut him.

Edited by NoSaint

TOP 7 in order:

13 Stevie Johnson WR 27 6-2 207 6 Kentucky

10 Robert Woods WR 21 6-1 190 R USC

88 Marquise Goodwin WR 22 5-9 179 R Texas

19 DeMarco Sampson WR 27 6-2 204 2 San Diego State

81 Marcus Easley WR 25 6-2 217 2 Connecticut

11 T.J. Graham WR 24 5-11 188 2 North Carolina State

15 Chris Hogan WR 24 6-1 220 1 Monmouth (N.J.)

PRACTICE SQUAD:

17 Da'Rick Rogers WR 22 6-3 205 R Tennessee Tech

CUT:

82 Dorin Dickerson WR 25 6-1 226 3 Pittsburgh

14 Brandon Kaufman WR 22 6-5 215 R Eastern Washington

86 Terrell Sinkfield WR 22 6-1 192 R Northern Iowa

16 Brad Smith WR 29 6-2 213 8 Missouri

18 Kevin Elliott WR 24 6-3 205 2 Florida A&M

They need to increase the roster size for reasons just like this !! After all the time of not having a decent WR corp now we got more than we can keep !

All could be used in this offense & used well !! As coach said there will be some hard decisions that have to be made when it comes down to cut time !! But some teams will benefit from our over stock & i bet a lot of them will go in our division too !!

You can bet Bellicheck is sitting back licking his chops & Rex is also waiting to see what he can get to bolster his O ...

Except that the highest ranked teams have the last choice of waived players. So if the Seahawks want DaRick they have to wait until Jacksonville and Cleveland pass on him. It's just like the draft. Edited by Trader

I'm puzzled as to why Graham is considered a lock after being one of the worst receivers in the entire NFL last season. In my eyes, he's too track-star and will be let go to accommodate Goodwin, the new track star. Kaufman (Nelson 2.0) has made a strong case for a roster spot. I see him ahead of Hogan or Rogers so far.

Any team can take a PS player from another team ---but he has to be placed on their 53 man roster--- without any compensation...teams will pluck players from other teams practice squads.

There is a rule to prevent a team specifically plucking a player from a teams PS whom they play in an upcoming game only to get inside information on their play calling/strategy

Right so I guess my point is that if a team really wants to get their hands on a player ... there is no "hiding them on the practice squad".

I don't know if DaRick Rogers is not doing well in practice or if he is still a behavorial problem. There is something going on the Bills brass is not telling us about. If this guy is a first round talent why hasn't he moved up on the depth chart? Why is he not getting much playing time in the preseason games? Either he is not as good as advertised or he's back to smoking dope. Something fishy is going on there. We will find out soon at the cut down date. If they cut him someone will take a chance on him hoping they can take the ghetto out of him. All the other teams know about him you can't hide him on the practice squad. I would think you would have a much better chance of another team not claiming Hogan off the practice squad. Teams could have had Hogan in the off season if they wanted him, so I don't think all of sudden there is going to be a demand for his services. Kaufman may be another guy you may be able to hide on the practice squad.

Before last week's game WGR reported that there had been several instances where Rogers was not paying attention in practice and didn't know when we was supposed to be in the lineup. To me, that shows he is not ready to be a professional, and I have a hard time believing Marrone is going to cut him any slack based on talent, especially after reading about all of the players that left the Syracuse program in the first year after he took over. He wants guys who are totally committed, it's hard to be fully committed to anything when your head's up your ass.

I could be wrong but I believe the team that practice squad player is on gets the option of promoting that player to their active roster or lose him in that situation

The player is a free agent, in the event we offered a contract at that point it's his choice (how we signed Brohm a few years back.)

TOP 7 in order:

13 Stevie Johnson WR 27 6-2 207 6 Kentucky

10 Robert Woods WR 21 6-1 190 R USC

88 Marquise Goodwin WR 22 5-9 179 R Texas

19 DeMarco Sampson WR 27 6-2 204 2 San Diego State

81 Marcus Easley WR 25 6-2 217 2 Connecticut

11 T.J. Graham WR 24 5-11 188 2 North Carolina State

15 Chris Hogan WR 24 6-1 220 1 Monmouth (N.J.)

PRACTICE SQUAD:

17 Da'Rick Rogers WR 22 6-3 205 R Tennessee Tech

CUT:

82 Dorin Dickerson WR 25 6-1 226 3 Pittsburgh

14 Brandon Kaufman WR 22 6-5 215 R Eastern Washington

86 Terrell Sinkfield WR 22 6-1 192 R Northern Iowa

16 Brad Smith WR 29 6-2 213 8 Missouri

18 Kevin Elliott WR 24 6-3 205 2 Florida A&M

Bills release four (Sinkfield), WR Elliott to I-R

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/Bills-release-four-WR-Elliott-to-I-R/58fa2111-e835-4e65-ba12-a25939d61f24