SU Hoops 2013-2014 edition...

bills44

I wonder if grant declares for the NBA. He's not ready and i'd like to think that Harvey and Horace made enough bank to not make him dream of fields of gold but with kids you never know.

Edited by inkman

• Replies 903
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if grant declares for the NBA. He's not ready and i'd like to think that Harvey and Horace made enough bank to not make him dream of fields of gold but with kids you never know.

I am worried he will declare.

He is probably one of the best examples of a guy who should stay 3--maybe all 4--years. Because if he does, he has the chance to be really special in the NBA.

Next year, I can see him taking the step of further developing that jump shot, and even a 3-point shot. And after that, maybe he can develop a bit of a post game.

The concern if he goes pro is the lack of playing time in the NBA to develop those other parts of his game.

Terry Ennis played well, and I agree with previous posts that he should "force the issue" offensively a little bit more. Also would like to see him feed the low-post a bit more. I saw Hakeem Christmas open several times, and in good position...Terry just seemed to ignore him. Terry Cooney was very good, especially on defense where he was very disruptive at the top of the zone. I was waiting for him to 360 one of those fast break dunks. He also did better against face guarding defenders, as he drove to the bucket more and more (good coaching JB). DJ Fair was once again handled by a guard. DJ's strength is his quickness off the dribble in setting up his jumper. Can't do that as well against a quick guard. Look for ACC coaches to replicate this strategy in future games.

I think Coleman has lost favor with JB and the injury is just an excuse. He saw garbage minutes versus VA Tech...if he was so injured why risk putting him out there during the final 4 minutes? I think he has lost his starting spot to Grant. Rightfully so IMO.

Terry Ennis played well, and I agree with previous posts that he should "force the issue" offensively a little bit more. Also would like to see him feed the low-post a bit more. I saw Hakeem Christmas open several times, and in good position...Terry just seemed to ignore him. Terry Cooney was very good, especially on defense where he was very disruptive at the top of the zone. I was waiting for him to 360 one of those fast break dunks. He also did better against face guarding defenders, as he drove to the bucket more and more (good coaching JB). DJ Fair was once again handled by a guard. DJ's strength is his quickness off the dribble in setting up his jumper. Can't do that as well against a quick guard. Look for ACC coaches to replicate this strategy in future games.

I think Coleman has lost favor with JB and the injury is just an excuse. He saw garbage minutes versus VA Tech...if he was so injured why risk putting him out there during the final 4 minutes? I think he has lost his starting spot to Grant. Rightfully so IMO.

haha--awesome. Too bad that's LaPhonso Ellis's verbatim transcript.

By the way, I spoke too soon-- looks like a lot of mocks have Ennis and Grant going in the 1st round. Would hate to lose Ennis after one one year.

http://www.syracuse.com/axeman/index.ssf/2014/01/syracuse_basketball_nba_draft.html

haha--awesome. Too bad that's LaPhonso Ellis's verbatim transcript.

By the way, I spoke too soon-- looks like a lot of mocks have Ennis and Grant going in the 1st round. Would hate to lose Ennis after one one year.

http://www.syracuse.com/axeman/index.ssf/2014/01/syracuse_basketball_nba_draft.html

That would suck. I don't think either player is ready.

I agree. I feel like we have this debate every year too.

I would love to see some stats on guys leaving early versus 3 and 4-year college players. I know each player is different, but my theory has always been that the 3 and 4-year college players are more likely to get that second NBA contract than the 1 and 2-year guys (and high schoolers).

Also, I would love to see these guys sit down with former Cuse players that stayed and left early and get their advice. I have got to think that the consensus from a lot of former players is that, in hindsight, they wished they had stayed.

Unfortunately, I think Tyler Ennis is VERY ready to make the leap to the NBA. Maybe even more ready than MCW was last year, and we are seeing how that is turning out. In fact, if he chooses to stay another year it will not be because the demand from the NBA is not there. I suspect he will get a top 10 grade from NBA scouts.

Grant is a different story, but given that the NBA drafts on potential, I suspect that he will also get at least a mid-1st round grade at the end of the season. I have a gut feeling, however, that Jerami will stay at Syracuse for another season.

Unfortunately, I think Tyler Ennis is VERY ready to make the leap to the NBA. Maybe even more ready than MCW was last year, and we are seeing how that is turning out. In fact, if he chooses to stay another year it will not be because the demand from the NBA is not there. I suspect he will get a top 10 grade from NBA scouts.

Grant is a different story, but given that the NBA drafts on potential, I suspect that he will also get at least a mid-1st round grade at the end of the season. I have a gut feeling, however, that Jerami will stay at Syracuse for another season.

No doubt Ennis would be a top 10 pick in my mind. By the end of the year he may be seen in the same group as the top "super freshmen." Wiggins, Randle, and Parker have all impressed but also had some ups and downs. Parker may even take a Mormon mission before playing the NBA. Ennis looks ready to go sadly as I would love him sticking around.

Grant should stay. Hopefully Fair is a good example for him and money is definitely not an issue so the chance is there. Losing Keita and Fair after this year will be tough but not a knockout punch. Losing Ennis, Grant, Fair and Keita would be tough to overcome.

Did you hear the announcers say that boehiem feels keita is the best big man he's ever had in that system? Are those words ANY Syracuse fan would ever think they'd hear? If he had hands he really would be deadly inside.

It's amazing how under the radar Baye is, even for us Cuse fans.

But the guy has come in from day one, averaged 15 minutes per game for all 4 years, and basically has been the center in very likely the best 4-year period our defense has ever had.

As I think more about it, he will be missed quite a bit.

Ennis and Grant are gone fellas. No way they are turning up on mocks now and they end up staying. Ennis surprises me, his rise in the ranks this year has been really amazing to watch. IMO, he should stay one more and be a top 5 pick. But that never seems to happen these days.

I was actually looking at some economic studies on this today. One dude hypothesized as part of a phd thesis that unless you are a top 5 pick, odds are better for nba success for a kid to stay in school. you won't get enough PT unless you are a top 5.

Ask Damian lillard if he made the right choice staying in school 4 years-- no 6 pick and one of the best guards in the NBA.

I so need to get a Cuse shirt. I have always liked Duke but Cuse, tOSU and Wake are other teams I like. I probably like Duke the most because I like Coach K, I like the way they operate and respect the program. I also cannot stand UNC because my great Uncle would always come over when I was a kid and would visit my Gramps. He'd make me turn to whatever UNC was on - baseball, basketball, anything. He would always talk about how they were so good and amazing. I didn't like the bastard, so I grew to hate UNC.

But, damn, folks down here are hating on Cuse. Saying that it is just a fluke, haven't played anyone, they'll feel the brunt of it as the ACC schedule wears on them - now that they will face real competition every game...etc...etc. Making me like Syracuse that much more!

I so need to get a Cuse shirt. I have always liked Duke but Cuse, tOSU and Wake are other teams I like. I probably like Duke the most because I like Coach K, I like the way they operate and respect the program. I also cannot stand UNC because my great Uncle would always come over when I was a kid and would visit my Gramps. He'd make me turn to whatever UNC was on - baseball, basketball, anything. He would always talk about how they were so good and amazing. I didn't like the bastard, so I grew to hate UNC.

But, damn, folks down here are hating on Cuse. Saying that it is just a fluke, haven't played anyone, they'll feel the brunt of it as the ACC schedule wears on them - now that they will face real competition every game...etc...etc. Making me like Syracuse that much more!

You can't like Duke and Syracuse bro.

I don't understand this. I am pretty sure Cuse has a top 5 RPI, and a top 25 SOS. they've beaten two top 10 teams in Baylor and Villanova.

In the ACC, it seems like there are only 2 other good teams-- Pitt and duke. I can't imagine that the ACC schedule will wear them down.

By the way, after seeing Pitt play last night, they look like they will win the conference. Probably going to be the best team syracuse will play this season.

I don't understand this. I am pretty sure Cuse has a top 5 RPI, and a top 25 SOS. they've beaten two top 10 teams in Baylor and Villanova.

In the ACC, it seems like there are only 2 other good teams-- Pitt and duke. I can't imagine that the ACC schedule will wear them down.

By the way, after seeing Pitt play last night, they look like they will win the conference. Probably going to be the best team syracuse will play this season.

duke is last in the standings, which is the funniest part. Losing 4 games the UNC fans are really hating on them. And UNC fans are huuuuuuge !@#$s. Arrogant as hell. They're blaming Hairston for their problems and it is another rebuilding year. The ego of a UNC fan is like a Pats fan. There are always legit reasons on why they lose but they're always the better team. Hating on Syracuse just comes natural. New team in the conference. #2. Better then UNC has been in a long time. And a better coach and program. Williams is going to get caught with his pants down in a scandal before too long. There is just too much going on in that basketball program to be kept secret much more.

Syracuse has played a very 'tough' schedule, even before the conference schedule...baylor, indiana, villanova, st. johns, cal, minnesota

What don't you understand about haters hating?

Remember two years ago when the benchmark for success was Elite 8's? Obviously this was totally arbitrary and convenient for haters because who really cares if you lose in the Sweet16 or Elite8 but it just so happened that we struggled in the Sweet 16 (but usually made the championship game if we got past the Regional Semi's).

Now that things have "normalized" a bit after a couple Elite 8's & a Final4 you don't hear that anymore so it's back to the basics...

"Umm, uhhh, true road games in November! Carmello! Yah!".

God I want a 2nd championship so bad.

Edited by BuffOrange

What don't you understand about haters hating?

Remember two years ago when the benchmark for success was Elite 8's? Obviously this was totally arbitrary and convenient for haters because who really cares if you lose in the Sweet16 or Elite8 but it just so happened that we struggled in the Sweet 16 (but usually made the championship game if we got past the Regional Semi's).

Now that things have "normalized" a bit after a couple Elite 8's & a Final4 you don't hear that anymore so it's back to the basics...

"Umm, uhhh, true road games in November! Carmello! Yah!".

God I want a 2nd championship so bad.

Haha. So true.

I am still a little bitter about onaku's injury in 2010. IMO, that was as close as we have come to a sure-fire championship team.