Enough QB talk, how about Goodwin!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess that my point was not to expect too much from him in the receiving dept. Texas fans can rave all that they want to, what else would we expect them to do, but if he's so blazing fast in the NFL then he was even faster at Texas, so why didn't he log more than few hundred yards in receiving, with low ypc too, or have more than 1 TD for every 17 passes caught?

Something's not adding up here. People expect that just because a player is fast that he'll be a good receiver. I am not hopeful that this was the case, which if not, then again, not sure drafting him to return kicks shouldn't have been high on the priority list. Now if he does turn into a Devon Hestor or Dante Hall, great, but consider, neither of them were good receivers, and it's unllikely that he'll turn into what they were.

As to end arounds and reverses, sure, but if the team has to resort to too many of those it will likely mean that they're not capable of executing effectively in their standard offense, which won't be good. Gimmick stuff like that never makes up for fundamentals.

Forget what you read about in camp. What, he had good routes against Brooks, Rogers, and McKelvin? Please.

Camp is useless for evaluating anything but the basics, it's completely useless in evaluating how they'll play against starting NFL competition, particularly since we don't even have good starting NFL competition on our roster for D except for a few players. And let's not forget, Mario's got a boo-boo.

Did you get some bad milk on your porridge this morning?

10.9 Ran a 4.48 40 once. But that was about 25 years and 60lbs ago.

nice. 10.9 is pretty good. I ran a 11.1 100m and and 15.3 110HH. However, my 15.3 time was from a standing start. I had a severe mental issue going into my senior season and couldn't start out of the blocks all year. I did in the sectional finals. Finally got it down for that race. Managed to beat the reigning state champ to the first 3 hurdles then he caught up. As it ends up I tripped over the final hurdle of the race and DNQ. He was not more than 2 steps ahead when I tripped. His time was 14.2. I needed a 14.6 to qualify for states (and break my school record). Good chance I would have had that if not for UBs 50lb hurdles. Same with me, it was many years ago and about 80lbs ago.

A good returner does not always make a good receiver.

I'm not sure that the team's return game was that miserable such that it needed a slight upgrade. We ranked 4th in KOR avg. last season and 1st in PR avg.

Keep in mind that a fantastic season for a KOR is 2 or 3 TDs, more is highly unusual. That's not the kind of production that changes games all season. Also, to assume that he's going to average 80 ypr is silly.

He's got a job as a returner, but he has yet to prove, in college or pros, that he can be a 2/3 WR.

some people always have to complain about something I guess.

A fair point.

I too would like to see Goodwin get more chances as a WR, as I'm sure he will.

I had a chance to talk to some Texas fans about Goodwin, and they raved about his play, and also admitted that the offense Texas had and the QB play kind of held Goodwin back.

With Goodwin's ability to follow blocks, I could see him being very effective on an end-around or reverse play.

Joe Buscaglia of WGR has reported that Goodwin has been exceptional at camp showing great hands and speed and seemingly making at least one acrobatic catch every day...

http://www.nfl.com/v...-1-Top-10-plays #2 Baby! Some guy named Hester better not get used to his return records imho.

BTW 107 yards in 13 seconds, with pads, ducking defenders and not in a straight line? The 100M ran in the olympics is 110 yards, most times are in the mid to high 9 second area. Take the pads off, let the kid run straight and he is putting up around a high 9 or very low 10 second 100M. Kid be FAAAAST!

With that speed, his ability to run routes and how he has been catching the ball in camp, we gotta get him on the field more.

http://www.nfl.com/v...dwin-in-a-flash

AND he slowed down the last 10 yards Bolt style!

and he let up the last 10-15 yards

i was pumped when Bills drafted Goodwin and even moreso now

I guess that my point was not to expect too much from him in the receiving dept. Texas fans can rave all that they want to, what else would we expect them to do, but if he's so blazing fast in the NFL then he was even faster at Texas, so why didn't he log more than few hundred yards in receiving, with low ypc too, or have more than 1 TD for every 17 passes caught?

Something's not adding up here.

he missed spring practice his Senior year BECAUSE HE WAS TRAINING FOR THE OLYMPICS!

Something's not adding up here. People expect that just because a player is fast that he'll be a good receiver. I am not hopeful that this was the case, which if not, then again, not sure drafting him to return kicks shouldn't have been high on the priority list. Now if he does turn into a Devon Hestor or Dante Hall, great, but consider, neither of them were good receivers, and it's unllikely that he'll turn into what they were.

As to end arounds and reverses, sure, but if the team has to resort to too many of those it will likely mean that they're not capable of executing effectively in their standard offense, which won't be good. Gimmick stuff like that never makes up for fundamentals.

Forget what you read about in camp. What, he had good routes against Brooks, Rogers, and McKelvin? Please.

Camp is useless for evaluating anything but the basics, it's completely useless in evaluating how they'll play against starting NFL competition, particularly since we don't even have good starting NFL competition on our roster for D except for a few players. And let's not forget, Mario's got a boo-boo.

Have you seen him play?

http://rotobahn.com/...odwin-wr-texas/

(2 good vids in there)

He's got a lot of ability and he's been a busy kid. He won the Campbell Trophy, which means he is as smart as he is fast (ok, maybe not THAT smart) and he is now going to dedicate all his time to one sport. He was easily worth a 3rd rounder if he can stay healthy. He's already a better receiver than Hall or Hester.

If you want to worry about Goodwin, the issue, if there is one, will be concussions.

Speed kills.

Like the draft experts said "waste of a pick"...

I loved this kid since day two.

But he did not catch a pass Sunday. Its seemed Coach Hackett gave everyone else the ball but the two speedsters Sunday.

I bet they already have a good idea what TJ and Goodwin bring to open up the field vertically +.

And because Marroone said afterwards he was asking Nate for some Go routes and did not get them, when prodded by media folk , i think a bit of chess IS going on. Not much but some. enough.

i am stoked for this kid especially after his words after. all of em . He has the attitude that i love in a buffalo Bill. Heart and belief in hard work.

Geez this year is exciting already.

I would not play this kid anymore this preseason. -Goodwin is too valuable, and lethal a weapon to be trotting out for what is essentially an exhibition game. If I were making the call, He'd be in street-clothes until the regular season.

I would not play this kid anymore this preseason. -Goodwin is too valuable, and lethal a weapon to be trotting out for what is essentially an exhibition game. If I were making the call, He'd be in street-clothes until the regular season.

How do you reasonably expect him to grow at WR with no more preseason reps. Should we just sit EJ till week one too?

That was a mis type. I ran the 100 m or the 110 yards in HS :-) I was good for a white guy actually...

had to throw in for a white guy huh? I ran the 400, and 800. I'm white, but was fast for anybody. ANYbody.

was Goodwin under used in college? I remember hearing something to that effect.

Have you seen him play?

http://rotobahn.com/...odwin-wr-texas/

(2 good vids in there)

He's got a lot of ability and he's been a busy kid. He won the Campbell Trophy, which means he is as smart as he is fast (ok, maybe not THAT smart) and he is now going to dedicate all his time to one sport. He was easily worth a 3rd rounder if he can stay healthy. He's already a better receiver than Hall or Hester.

If you want to worry about Goodwin, the issue, if there is one, will be concussions.

Speed kills.

had to throw in for a white guy huh? I ran the 400, and 800. I'm white, but was fast for anybody. ANYbody.

Watch his QB in those two videos. Right there you have some explanation as to why passing stats were limited. He was also a 2-sport guy. Goodwin may not end up being a high volume receiver, but he has the potential to be a huge component in terms of how the Bills want to defeat defenses.

The Bills are putting together a nice BLEND of talent on offense. It all fits together.

It's going to work if they coach it right.

Get excited. Gonna be a fun year watching it all develop. I can't wait!

Something's not adding up here.

As I stated in my prior post, the Texas fans I talked to really loved Goodwin's play, but admitted that the offense they ran and not having a top notch QB did not really play to his strengths.

That's pretty much what some Texas fans told me.