Skip Bayless on EJ's 2-minute drive

The amazing thing here is that Tuel may emerge as real competition for EJ. EJ has the athleticism and tools (pun for fun) to do the job but Tuel is a very early pleasant surprise.

I am not trying to get ahead of myself as these guys have only had a fewweeksof practice and one meaningless preseason game but if a real QB competition develops between the two that would be fantastic.

Honestly, the situation looks to be playing out a lot like the RGIII v Cousins situation a year ago.

I think Tuel will have to move mountains to show he's the better quarterback than EJ. Even if he executes everything as well, even if he executes slightly better, you gotta believe the coaches go with the guy they know has more upside: Manuel.

Of course, this is all conjecture and I'm speaking directly from my ass, but, ya know, it's a message board. Want something better? Tweet Tim Graham. :flirt:

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Hail Ants...

Just glad this game didn't leave me feeling ill. So long since we could feel like this...so long since we could say two minute drill with a smile...sure Fitz had one or two...but this felt better...

Or JW :rolleyes:

Or Sal M. That ought to brighten the situation.

Since we're fans, since this is all for fun and enjoyment, and since the vast majority of us (presumably) had no money riding on the first preseason game--rendering the result completely meaningless to our day-to-day lives--there's really only question worth asking: Did you enjoy watching yesterday's game?

If the answer to that question is 'no,' then you're due for some very serious one-on-one time with a mirror...

Edited by The Big Cat

BTW, neither Bayless nor Steven A thought EJ's performance yesterday justified his being the first QB selected. But Ed Werder on SportsCenter mentioned EJ first (and favorably) when he was asked for his top takeaways from week 1 of preseason.

Well no, in a vacuum, performance in one half of a preseason game certainly wouldn't make a QB worthy of a first round pick. I'd say they would also be hard pressed to support a perspective that he shouldn't have been the first QB off of the board with a 107 QBR through 1 half verses 1s and 2s.

It takes more than 30 minutes of preseason football to develop that conclusion either way.

I certainly cannot wait for EJ to start racking up some wins and make these know it alls eat some crow.

Don't know if you can say that because EJ is the only draftee who started this week and who's been getting the bulk of work with the first string in practice. It's tough to compare at this point. But it's looking like it will be between him & Geno for that race. I didn't get a chance to watch Nassib, but Tuel certainly had a better outing than Barkley.

Did you see Landry Jones take a safety?

Edit*

Missed that this was already pointed out.

Best two rookie QB performances from week 1 were both on the Bills.

Edited by Joe Miner

Or Sal M. That ought to brighten the situation.

Since we're fans, since this is all for fun and enjoyment, and since the vast majority of us (presumably) had no money riding on the first preseason game--rendering the result completely meaningless to our day-to-day lives--there's really only question worth asking: Did you enjoy watching yesterday's game?

If the answer to that question is 'no,' then you're due for some very serious one-on-one time with a mirror...

Right on. And, quite honestly, I enjoyed watching yesterday's pre-season game more than I've enjoyed watching the majority of the regular season games under the former regime/quarterback in the past couple years. It might sound sad, but it's true. This new coaching staff and quarterback has brought a lot of optimism and excitement, and that is a big deal.

Yes, just heard that this morning as well. if they did cut off his mic, that takes guts. But it prob just failed. Good work, kid.. regardless of what string he was playing against, if true.

May be the Colts communication guy pulled the plug.

They both made asses of themselves with the "he was playing against 2nd-3rd stringers" argument. Woods, Choice, Smith and Dickerson (the guys EJ was throwing to on the last drive) aren't NFL starters.

Bayless, who forever loves QB jokes Tebow and Romo, was gushing over Barkley's play and said it was proof he was a steal and he should have been the first QB taken in the draft. The problem with that argument is that Barkley was also playing against 2nd, 3rd and 4th stringers. That completely undercuts his argument made against Manuel a few minutes earlier.

Off topic...I hope that the Bills encourage EJ throw the ball downfield in the next game. We all get that he can handle the "dink and dunk" stuff. The sooner he starts gaining confidence in hitting the long ball, the sooner this team becomes an instant AFC playoff contender.

E.J. just played his first game, the coaching staff kinda babied him a bit I thought but he didn't throw any INT's , which was very good.

I think this Friday at home he will most def throw some deep ones.

Right on. And, quite honestly, I enjoyed watching yesterday's pre-season game more than I've enjoyed watching the majority of the regular season games under the former regime/quarterback in the past couple years. It might sound sad, but it's true. This new coaching staff and quarterback has brought a lot of optimism and excitement, and that is a big deal.

what you said.

I know was very much enjoying the game because after Goodwin's return the Bills kicked that butt.

Edited by Bufcomments

Honestly, the situation looks to be playing out a lot like the RGIII v Cousins situation a year ago.

I think Tuel will have to move mountains to show he's the better quarterback than EJ. Even if he executes everything as well, even if he executes slightly better, you gotta believe the coaches go with the guy they know has more upside: Manuel.

Wouldn't that be a nice problem to have as the Pre-season unfolds? We can only hope that it becomes so.

"EJ did that 2 minute drive against 2nd teamers" :rolleyes: Douchebag!

Does it even matter to any of these tools who have said that(not limited to Bayless) today, that we had:

1. CJ

2. FJ

3. SJ

4. Chandler

Either sitting on the sidelines, or sitting at home, for that drive?

We had our rookie WRs, 3rd string RB, and 2nd/3rd string TE in there for that drive, and yes, they beat the Colts 2nd teamers. That's even up.

Jesus. If you are going to offer analysis? Understand that proper analysis is done with ALL the facts.

Does it even matter to any of these tools who have said that(not limited to Bayless) today, that we had:

1. CJ

2. FJ

3. SJ

4. Chandler

We had our rookie WRs, 3rd string RB, and 2nd/3rd string TE in there for that drive, and yes, they beat the Colts 2nd teamers. That's even up.

Jesus. If you are going to offer analysis? Understand that proper analysis is done with ALL the facts.

This ^. Haters.

1. CJ

2. FJ

3. SJ

4. Chandler

hnmigOu.gif

1. CJ

2. FJ

3. SJ

4. Chandler

You're expecting a logical thought process. Not going to happen.

1. CJ

2. FJ

3. SJ

4. Chandler

Since when have any of these ESPN "journalists" every bothered with research before spouting opinion?

ESPN is far from being a news outlet. Supposedly entertaining idiots just regurgitating the popular opinion is all you ever get from them.

"Oh the Bills? Well they always stunk so I'm going to say all their draft picks were bad and they still stink."

Way to think outside the box guys.

Correction: he has lapped everyone in the field but one: Jeff Tuel. :flirt:

But but but but but draft grades.

Spell his name right and may be I'll take you seriously. But that's a big 'may be.'

Sorry, is this better.... EJ . You do crack me up though...