Skip Bayless on EJ's 2-minute drive

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

On First Take just now, Bayless just said that on that drive, EJ's headset malfunctioned and he had to call his own plays. Has anyone heard this from another source? BTW, neither Bayless nor Steven A thought EJ's performance yesterday justified his being the first QB selected. But Ed Werder on SportsCenter mentioned EJ first (and favorably) when he was asked for his top takeaways from week 1 of preseason.

Of course they don't think his performance didn't justify his lofty #16 pick. Because, they had other guys penciled in and they have egg all over their faces.

They are hoping for fail here to vindicate themselves.

This Mike Rodak guy, tells a different tale on ESPN though. Hard to believe a ex pats* blogger can report so well. He is second only to Astro in training camp reporting.

Edited by Best Player Available

For those who are belittling EJ's inaugural performance, I have to ask: just what the !@#$ did Mr.2nd-year-man-first-overall-pick-in-the-2012-Draft-universally-recognized-wunderkind-and-shoo-in-perannial-concensus-ProBowler Andrew Luck do any better than our rookie?

A couple of things here. Compared to the other QB's taken in this last draft, my understanding is EJ has lapped the field, so it would be safe to say he justified being the 1st QB selected right? That said, I don't think his performance merits high fives and ass slapping just yet. His first 2 drives gave more pause for concern than excitement. Pre-season game 3 - he does it there, then we are on to something...

Correction: he has lapped everyone in the field but one: Jeff Tuel. :flirt:

For those who are belittling EJ's inaugural performance, I have to ask: just what the !@#$ did Mr.2nd-year-man-first-overall-pick-in-the-2012-Draft-universally-recognized-wunderkind-and-shoo-in-perannial-concensus-ProBowler Andrew Luck do any better than our rookie?

But but but but but draft grades.

It was nice to see Manual make some nice reads and some nice throws and the 20 yard or so run he made, but lets be real here....He had some bad throws too, missed 2 easy throws that I remember, locked on to one receiver and didn't take his eyes off him, executed a simple game plan with simple throws for the most part, but did hit a couple difficult throws too. All in all I think he did well executing a simple game plan against a simple vanilla defense. I thought Tuel actually did a better job looking off defenders and made some tougher throws..It's exciting to see the future of these guys but again it was 1 preseason game and I don't feel manual did anything to solidify a starting job.. I would like to see Kolb play a half next game and see where he is at, ahead or behind Manual..

Spell his name right and may be I'll take you seriously. But that's a big 'may be.'

A couple of things here. Compared to the other QB's taken in this last draft, my understanding is EJ has lapped the field, so it would be safe to say he justified being the 1st QB selected right?

Don't know if you can say that because EJ is the only draftee who started this week and who's been getting the bulk of work with the first string in practice. It's tough to compare at this point. But it's looking like it will be between him & Geno for that race. I didn't get a chance to watch Nassib, but Tuel certainly had a better outing than Barkley.

If I hear one more ESPN anchor say the Bills traded UP to get EJ I am going to punch a puppy.

At least make an effort ESPN.

I thought i heard them commenting about the trade before at halftime, but in fairness, it's virtually impossible to decipher Warren Sapp with Barbara Billingsly there to translate.

Stephen A tried to downplay the drive by saying Buffalo had all of their starters in against the Colts scrubs. Simply false. EJ went without his best overall player(Spiller) and his best wideout(Stevie) I also find it funny how Skip Bayless talked up Matt Barkley's performance when he was actually playing against guys who won't be on an NFL roster this year. Typical ESPN trash.

Stephen A tried to downplay the drive by saying Buffalo had all of their starters in against the Colts scrubs. Simply false. EJ went without his best overall player(Spiller) and his best wideout(Stevie) I also find it funny how Skip Bayless talked up Matt Barkley's performance when he was actually playing against guys who won't be on an NFL roster this year. Typical ESPN trash.

Why use facts when you can fabricate your own truths?

They both made asses of themselves with the "he was playing against 2nd-3rd stringers" argument. Woods, Choice, Smith and Dickerson (the guys EJ was throwing to on the last drive) aren't NFL starters.

Bayless, who forever loves QB jokes Tebow and Romo, was gushing over Barkley's play and said it was proof he was a steal and he should have been the first QB taken in the draft. The problem with that argument is that Barkley was also playing against 2nd, 3rd and 4th stringers. That completely undercuts his argument made against Manuel a few minutes earlier.

Off topic...I hope that the Bills encourage EJ throw the ball downfield in the next game. We all get that he can handle the "dink and dunk" stuff. The sooner he starts gaining confidence in hitting the long ball, the sooner this team becomes an instant AFC playoff contender.

Bayless, who forever loves QB jokes Tebow and Romo, was gushing over Barkley's play and said it was proof he was a steal and he should have been the first QB taken in the draft. The problem with that argument is that Barkley was also playing against 2nd, 3rd and 4th stringers. That completely undercuts his argument made against Manuel a few minutes earlier.

If I were analyzing the Eagles, I'd be much more focused about 250 yards they gave up on the ground in only 30 carries, and not how their 3rd string QB did.

You could see him signal as soon as the drive started. imo they intentionally cut his headset of

This makes no sense. Why would they do that on his first professional 2 min drill, and why would they not want him to practice a normal 2 min drill instead of something that may happen once during the season.

Don't know if you can say that because EJ is the only draftee who started this week and who's been getting the bulk of work with the first string in practice. It's tough to compare at this point. But it's looking like it will be between him & Geno for that race. I didn't get a chance to watch Nassib, but Tuel certainly had a better outing than Barkley.

Landry Jones crashed into his running back in his own end zone and went down like a ton of bricks for a safety.

Landry Jones crashed into his running back in his own end zone and went down like a ton of bricks for a safety.

Yeah, I already wrote off anyone not EJ, Geno, Nassib or Barkley from this draft.

Well for one thing, he threw the ball more than 3 yards down the field. In fact, Luck's average pass was over 10 yards. I think EJ threw one pass over 10.

The amazing thing here is that Tuel may emerge as real competition for EJ. EJ has the athleticism and tools (pun for fun) to do the job but Tuel is a very early pleasant surprise.

I am not trying to get ahead of myself as these guys have only had a fewweeksof practice and one meaningless preseason game but if a real QB competition develops between the two that would be fantastic.

They were also without Chandler. And Brad Smith, who has a lot more experience than any of the other guys playing WR yesterday.

Off topic...I hope that the Bills encourage EJ throw the ball downfield in the next game. We all get that he can handle the "dink and dunk" stuff. The sooner he starts gaining confidence in hitting the long ball, the sooner this team becomes an instant AFC playoff contender.

Hackett said he's saving the long ball for the home crowd. He called it "dessert."

Yeah, I already wrote off anyone not EJ, Geno, Nassib or Barkley from this draft.

Might have to write in Tuel. ;)

Well for one thing, he threw the ball more than 3 yards down the field. In fact, Luck's average pass was over 10 yards. I think EJ threw one pass over 10.

Luck's YPA was 8.5. As for lack of long balls, see above.