Proof racial battles aren't "history" yet

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No but when featured in newsroom this week it certainly was called lodge. I think that may be the source of the example.

yes, it was. great episode....really clever dialogue. so "lodge", "camp", whatever...doesn't change the point.

can't think of any other developed, 1st world nation that fought a civil war over slavery. so, in that shameful way, we're unique. and the scars and deep seated resentment are more obvious and closer to the surface here than in most other developed countries, imo. some group is hanging a 15 foot confederate flag to be clearly visible from the interstate in richmond. the proponents say it's about history and heritage but a spokesman for the naacp said it well: if they'd won, i'd be in chains. then there's rick perry's hunting lodge in texas, named "n$%%#@head". squirmed all over himself trying to make that one look benign. so, yeah, i'd say we're at least worse than average when it comes to racism.

Watch a soccer game in a developed country. Even my beloved Roma gets sanctioned repeatedly because of fans who make monkey chants when a black player from their own team has the ball.

You don't see much of that in American sports. People are always going to be racist but I'd wager it's much worse abroad.

birdog, legitimate neo-fascist political parties across Europe are on the phone.

They told me to get them in touch with the legitimate neo-fascist political party of the United States, but the line was dead. I figured you could tell them about how racist America really is though, so I'm passing them on.

yes, it was. great episode....really clever dialogue. so "lodge", "camp", whatever...doesn't change the point.

So you take your "news" and talking points from an HBO show? Oh I had to Google it by the way. :rolleyes:

And really I wanted you to buy a clue on the bit I highlighted in your earlier post.

birdog, legitimate neo-fascist political parties across Europe are on the phone.

They told me to get them in touch with the legitimate neo-fascist political party of the United States, but the line was dead. I figured you could tell them about how racist America really is though, so I'm passing them on.

Hell with Europe. How about Asia or worse yet the middle east. That may not be different races but diferent cultures that absolutely hate each other and would like to wipe them off the face of the earth. Yeah, we have major issues here compared to the rest of the world. :rolleyes:

how long would you expect a swastika flag to fly over a european motorway?

how long would you expect a swastika flag to fly over a european motorway?

Not long, since Nazi memorabilia is banned across most of Europe (just another way that they're better than us, eh?).

Golden Dawn flags, on the other hand...

So you take your "news" and talking points from an HBO show? Oh I had to Google it by the way. :rolleyes:

/>

it's a good example that i wasn't aware of til the show highlighted it. then i read about it. so what? not a talking point but an example and one including a fairly competitive candidate for president.

he and his family leased it for years. did you read the article? maybe you should spend $20 on a GED.

Sorry ...............had to go to lunch.

I am well aware of the WAPO's original story.

The truth is his father leased the camp for many years, along with many others.

There is question if the rock was painted over before Rick even started going there.....there are multiple accounts giving inconclusive, contrary memories, that surfaced in the hundreds of follow up stories that this original slanted piece caused.

Either way, your original statement that about "Rick Perry's camp" was false.

and you look even more foolish persisting with it.

Edited by B-Man

Sorry ...............had to go to lunch.

I am well aware of the WAPO's original story.

The truth is his father leased the camp for many years, along with many others.

There is question if the rock was painted over before Rick even started going there.....there are multiple accounts that surfaced in the hundreds of follow up stories that this original slanted piece caused.

Either way, your original statement that about Rick Perry's camp was false.

and you look even more foolish persisting with it.

how, exactly, was my statement on perry false? that was the name of the place. he squirmed to explain it away. he personally leased the place. are you caught up on the word lodge. my word, i generally call place devoted to hunting and fishing lodges. maybe the ones i've been to are nicer than perry's camp but i doubt it

can't think of any other developed, 1st world nation that fought a civil war over slavery. so, in that shameful way, we're unique. and the scars and deep seated resentment are more obvious and closer to the surface here than in most other developed countries, imo. some group is hanging a 15 foot confederate flag to be clearly visible from the interstate in richmond. the proponents say it's about history and heritage but a spokesman for the naacp said it well: if they'd won, i'd be in chains. then there's rick perry's hunting lodge in texas, named "n$%%#@head". squirmed all over himself trying to make that one look benign. so, yeah, i'd say we're at least worse than average when it comes to racism.

I can't think of one that fought a civil war over slavery.

You idiot.

Not long, since Nazi memorabilia is banned across most of Europe (just another way that they're better than us, eh?).

Golden Dawn flags, on the other hand...

hans_cha.jpg

I read about them in Time Magazine....

I can't think of one that fought a civil war over slavery.

You idiot.

:thumbdown:

hans_cha.jpg

I read about them in Time Magazine....

:thumbdown:

It wasn't fought over slavery. It was fought over constitutional issues of federalism and states' rights (little known fact: four of the Confederate states - representing maybe half the Confederacy's economic power - seceded AFTER the war started, in response to Lincoln calling up the state militias to suppress the rebellion and for the direct and stated cause of states' rights. And most people in the North didn't give a **** about slaves - the Union nearly lost the war after the Emancipation Proclamation, because many Northern states preferred to recall their volunteer militias than fight "for !@#$s".)

What you learned in elementary school is...pretty much wrong, actually.

It wasn't fought over slavery. It was fought over constitutional issues of federalism and states' rights (little known fact: four of the Confederate states - representing maybe half the Confederacy's economic power - seceded AFTER the war started, in response to Lincoln calling up the state militias to suppress the rebellion and for the direct and stated cause of states' rights. And most people in the North didn't give a **** about slaves - the Union nearly lost the war after the Emancipation Proclamation, because many Northern states preferred to recall their volunteer militias than fight "for !@#$s".)

What you learned in elementary school is...pretty much wrong, actually.

and a large proponderance of academic historians (as opposed to self designated historians) disagree with you. it was primarily about slavery.

Down with history?

Holding two advanced degrees in the discipline, with a focus on slavery in the Americas as my specialty, I have no problem with history.

It wasn't fought over slavery.

I bow to your expertise on many things, this isn't one of them.

And I do not subscribe to the belief that it was the sole cause. But to say or suggest it played no part is to completely dismiss the mountains of primary source material that suggest otherwise.

It was fought over constitutional issues of federalism and states' rights

No question. But at the core of both of those issues was slavery and the impact abolition would have on the agrarian economic infrastructure, especially in light of the industrialization of the north. You can't separate the two issue, no matter how much revisionists have tried to in the century and half since.

(little known fact: four of the Confederate states - representing maybe half the Confederacy's economic power - seceded AFTER the war started, in response to Lincoln calling up the state militias to suppress the rebellion and for the direct and stated cause of states' rights.

Yup. Still doesn't mean that slavery was not one of, if not THE, primary factor motivating the hawks in South Carolina.

And most people in the North didn't give a **** about slaves - the Union nearly lost the war after the Emancipation Proclamation, because many Northern states preferred to recall their volunteer militias than fight "for !@#$s".)

Yup. Again, doesn't mean that slavery played no part. And as a military historian you know better than most the desire of the populace is rarely in lockstep with the state's motivations to wage war.