Bills vow Doug Marrone will make them winners

papazoid

Maybe this is how Bills news should go?

:devil:

PTR

Well that is as meaningful as yet another article about how Brandon thinks his coach dejour is going to make the Bills into winners.

I think Marrone has a much better chance of doing that than the two before him. But if anyone thinks Brandon making public statements like that isn't about marketing I have a bridge and some swamp land for sale.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well that is as meaningful as yet another article about how Brandon thinks his coach dejour is going to make the Bills into winners.

I think Marrone has a much better chance of doing that than the two before him. But if anyone thinks Brandon making public statements like that isn't about marketing I have a bridge and some swamp land for sale.

And the problem with selling the team is what, exactly? It's not like any of us are forced to buy.

GO BILLS!!!

Would you say that any positive story about the Bills would simply be marketing and PR spin?

Is it possible for someone to write an article on the Bills based on legitimate optimism that some people here wouldn't dismiss as bs?

Coach Marrone was not my choice. But so far so good, right? 0-0 tied for best record in the NFL. We'll see what it looks like 2 months from now.

Based on everything I've been told by the Bills and many on TBD, we should be winning. No excuses offered, none accepted.

Go BILLS !!!

Must admit I like what I see so far from Doug and his staff so far. How can ya not. Enthusiastic. Up tempo. Even the honesty and lack of b.s. (examples- how he's unhappy with the guard competition, his response to the Mario badgering)

However twenty years or so of unrealized optimism have soured me somewhat.

So I'm holding out until I see what kind of game manager Doug is when the live bullets are flying.

Lets face it we've been through this before. Wade was a good dc horrible game manager. Chan good oc terrible game manager. Last year just made me sick watching chan time and time again make poor decisions during crunch time. Punting from the 45. Not reviewing huge turnover plays that were obvious on tv. I can go on.

I'm ready for some more last second gut wrenching stupidity losses! My tolerace is back up. Let the season begin!

I respect when someone stands on their convictions.

Conviction-Our convictions determine our conduct. They motivate us to take a stand and to act according to our values.

-Our Convictions Determine Conduct

August 28, 2011 By Rick Hayden

“A belief is something you will argue about. A conviction is something you will die for!”

-Howard Hendricks

Would you say that any positive story about the Bills would simply be marketing and PR spin?

Is it possible for someone to write an article on the Bills based on legitimate optimism that some people here wouldn't dismiss as bs?

Of course it's possible and that's what we saw from Kirwan and King pieces last week. That's not the case with the Yahoo article however. It's a pure pr piece.

PITTSFORD, N.Y. – It was a bold thing the president and CEO of the Buffalo Bills said on the practice field at St. John Fisher College the other day. Russ Brandon hadn't meant his words to sound audacious. But he was overtaken with this ebullience, a sensation that hasn't exploded inside him in so many years. And as he talked about the new football coach he has hired – a man named Doug Marrone – he grew more and more effusive about the man's genius until the words just blurted out.

"This guy will win!' Brandon declared.

Told this was a presumptuous statement, Brandon stared hard at his questioner, eyes serious and repeated himself.

"He will win," he said. "I believe it."

http://sports.yahoo....-200622445.html

Well, maybe they will. This is kind of Russ's last chance. He has to go all- in with Marrone. Really nothing to lose. If the HC fails again, Brandon will go with him this time. and Win or lose, new ownership fires them all eventually anyway, so what the heck might as well go all - in.

When someone non biased and knowledgeable says they believe the Bills will be good (or bad) to me it has some meaning. When the head marketing person for the Bills says he believes that his new coach is going to turn the team into winners I think it is 100% marketing BS.

And the problem with selling the team is what, exactly? It's not like any of us are forced to buy.

GO BILLS!!!

Nothing. Someone has to do it. I was just stating my opinion that Brandon making that statement is nothing more than selling the team.

Edited by CodeMonkey

...Nothing. Someone has to do it. I was just stating my opinion that Brandon making that statement is nothing more than selling the team.

I can appreciate that. Is it possible for Brandon to make a genuine statement of enthusiasm for any aspect of the team without sounding like he's just "selling the team?" Are "selling the team" and speaking with unbridled optimism mutually exclusive concepts?

Or does Brandon really think the Bills are terrible, Marrone sucks, there is no hope and he better dress up the pig as best he can so he can just fool people? As if any of the cynics that follow the team can be fooled.

GO BILLS!!!

So Les Carpenter is just some tool for Brandon to manipulate?

I thought he was a respected NFL writer.

Of course it's possible and that's what we saw from Kirwan and King pieces last week. That's not the case with the Yahoo article however. It's a pure pr piece.

I'd be interested to know how Kirwan and King's pieces differ from Carpenter's piece.

Not arguing, just asking.

So Les Carpenter is just some tool for Brandon to manipulate?

I thought he was a respected NFL writer.

I'd be interested to know how Kirwan and King's pieces differ from Carpenter's piece.

Not arguing, just asking.

I also thought that Carpenter was a respected NFL writer. Perhaps he still is. But after doing a little checking, he has dual roles at Yahoo! Sports. In one, he's an NFL columnist, in the other, he's an "expert" on football for Yahoo's unit that helps PR departments push their stories.

Here's the web description:

Yahoo! Experts are influencers, columnists, journalists, and bloggers who cover a wide range of topics, including news, politics, sports, finance, digital lifestyle, parenting, relationships, fashion, beauty, healthy living, and more for Yahoo!. They are available to provide expert commentary on stories and segments you're developing.

More from Yahoo: "If you're a PR professional and would like to send us a pitch idea, please contact ..."

The reason I decided to research his credentials is that I hadn't seen him do a lot of Bills pieces before, but he had a lot of detail surrounding the Marrone & Pettine hires. A lot of that detail could only be provided by the team. After finding out his dual roles at Yahoo, I connected the dots. You may choose to believe that he wrote the article on his own, without a lot of help from Scott Berchtold, but that's not how I'm seeing the piece.

It is highly ironic that the same people who are slamming local Buffalo press are falling head over heels over a PR puff piece. This is not new in the news business, and most people don't realize why a nice human interest story about a local car dealership would show up in the paper. But usually that would show up in the lifestyle section of the paper. I think that Yahoo is really stretching the standards of newsgathering when they combine the jobs of their columnists and experts and tag it as a sports story. But hey, people got an independent confirmation that the Bills President is optimistic about his new coach. He has a vision and a starategy now.

Edited by GG

I can appreciate that. Is it possible for Brandon to make a genuine statement of enthusiasm for any aspect of the team without sounding like he's just "selling the team?" Are "selling the team" and speaking with unbridled optimism mutually exclusive concepts?

Or does Brandon really think the Bills are terrible, Marrone sucks, there is no hope and he better dress up the pig as best he can so he can just fool people? As if any of the cynics that follow the team can be fooled.

GO BILLS!!!

I have no idea what he thinks. But regardless of what he really thinks, what you hear are things that will sell more tickets (that's his job after all).

I have no idea what he thinks. But regardless of what he really thinks, what you hear are things that will sell more tickets (that's his job after all).

God forbid Brandon is successful selling tickets so the Bills remain viable.

PTR

Are we so jaded now that we research every possible angle to support a conclusion any positive or optimistic piece of journalism is somehow deceitful and/or a marketing ploy?

:wallbash::doh:

Are we so rosy eyed optimistic that we seek to validate our views from yellow journalism?

Are we so rosy eyed optimistic that we seek to validate our views from yellow journalism?

Ah yes, the supposed "realistic" viewpoint we all know and love. I don't know of anyone walking around with blinders on -- I just see a large group of fans who are starved for a winner and want to feel good about what's happening, and a smaller (but more vocal) group who insist upon tamping down enthusiasm every chance they get.

I know how I want to live my life.