Bills vow Doug Marrone will make them winners

papazoid

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesn't matter where Carpenter used to work. You do realize that the most realistic career path for many journalists these days is to join a PR firm? Apparently Crapenter found a way where he can write PR stories in the guise of sports columns. Congrats to Yahoo! for tapping a new business line.

I fully expect Brandon to be excited and pumped up. Where did I criticize him for that? I'm criticizing his methods though. It also parallels the onslaught of media reaction after the Marrone hire, that even people who've never worked with Marrone had positive things to say. What they did have in common with Marrone was agency representation. How exactly did Shefter get the scoop at 2AM on a Sunday? Brandon is a marketing guy, first and foremost and he's doing his job obviously well, judging by the turnout at camp. Doesn't mean there isn't a little element of hucksterism to it. Maybe he studied PT Barnum in college.

The blow by blow particulars in the article were obviously spoon fed by the team, otherwise how would he know which hotel the team stayed at (I also hope Yahoo! got some love from Westin for the prominent product placements). The other thing that got me was the timeline that Carpenter referred to in the story, which hints that Marrone was the top choice all along and the other guys were barely interviewed. That doesn't quite mesh with the reporting that was going on at the time.

Well you have an interesting theory and much of what you say and imply is plausible, if a bit cynical.

That said I feel that Brandon's enthusiasm is 100% authentic and that the Bills approach to the coaching hire, the draft, and free agency seems like a clear departure from the past.

My instinct is that things have changed at One Bills Drive and as such I will continue to have my Kool-Aid straight from the packet and not dilute it with water.

Generally speaking, I agree with Gerry about the piece itself, but at the same time I DO think things are probably changing for the better -- i.e., towards a more rationally run franchise that is forward looking. No offense to Ralph, but no way does he hire Whaley as GM.

Edited by dave mcbride

Hmm...there was a book out a few years ago called "The death of advertising and the rise of PR".

GG may be on to something. The death of journalism and the rise of PR.

If you look at ESPN (insert city here), that strikes me as a lot more PR, than journalism.

My only question then is: where's the PR outcome in pushing the Bills? Or, are we the literal definition of "under-served market", and has Carpenter found a niche?

It's weird thinking this way...but that doesn't necessarily mean it's wrong.

Hmm...there was a book out a few years ago called "The death of advertising and the rise of PR".

GG may be on to something. The death of journalism and the rise of PR.

If you look at ESPN (insert city here), that strikes me as a lot more PR, than journalism.

My only question then is: where's the PR outcome in pushing the Bills? Or, are we the literal definition of "under-served market", and has Carpenter found a niche?

It's weird thinking this way...but that doesn't necessarily mean it's wrong.

Yahoo! is a willing participant in Bills' efforts to drum up excitement. I have no problem with what Bills PR is trying to do, and I'm guessing there was some kind of compensation paid to Yahoo! (edit: it may not be a direct cash payment, but in other ways, such as bringing more traffic to Yahoo! sites and away from Google) I do have a problem with Yahoo! participating in it by masquerading it as journalism.

Edited by GG

Yahoo! is a willing participant in Bills' efforts to drum up excitement. I have no problem with what Bills PR is trying to do, and I'm guessing there was some kind of compensation paid to Yahoo! (edit: it may not be a direct cash payment, but in other ways, such as bringing more traffic to Yahoo! sites and away from Google) I do have a problem with Yahoo! participating in it by masquerading it as journalism.

yahoo is looking for CONTENT just like everyone else. they don't care if it is positive or negative. as long as it fills space. there is no conspiracy.

yahoo is looking for CONTENT just like everyone else. they don't care if it is positive or negative. as long as it fills space. there is no conspiracy.

What is this conspiracy you are talking about?

What is this conspiracy you are talking about?

I don't know if you're being facetious but he's probably talking about your post:

You can quibble with papazoid's use of the word conspiracy to characterize your position but you accuse Yahoo and the Bills of passing off PR as journalism, with compensation paid to Yahoo.

Take exception all you want but what you're describing is essentially a conspiracy.