So What Would a Successful Season Be For EJ?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very difficult to hazard a guess to the numbers as we don't know much about the offense (especially what coaches are expecting of him), and a lot of that hinges on the WRs we don't know much about (as far as how they look when the real bullets are flying).

I guess this is a cop out, but I'd say a successful season would showcase steady improvement by Manuel, as he likely won't be an All-Pro right out of the gate.

I want to see mistakes corrected. I want to see that he continues to display the confidence and leadership qualities he's exhibited so far.

Another way to say it (and also another cop out, I suppose), is that if he's successful, we will know it when we see it.

Edited by uncle flap

If he were to start and play the entire season, What would a "successful" season look like for EJ? Wins, TD's/Int's, Yds...

Like Gugny said - but I will add that wins will not matter.

We do not need a ton of yards. Cam Newton had how many yards a couple of seasons ago and has not developed much at all since? The INT's will be important if he continually forces throws or looks WR's down. Look at Fitzpatrick or many other QB's, they can make some great plays then get 3 minutes of playing that stinks up the bed. The TD's, those will come with a good QB and his development. Look at Flacco, he can get you TD's but he is not traditionally a good QB.

Numbers are tough as pointed out above. I'd say success is that he "looks" like a solid NFL starter at the end of his rookie year. He'll have proved he can play at this level and still has lots of room on the upside.

this

Play 16 weeks in good health and be a better QB on week 16 than he was on week 1.

and this

Play 16 weeks in good health and be a better QB on week 16 than he was on week 1.

Exactly

It would be great if EJ just exploded on the league like Newton and others have but realistically all we can hope for is steady improvement and to remain healthy

I'm also in the camp that numbers don't necessarily mean a proven season. But I would say if he played all 16 games, maybe 3,500 yards, somewhere around 20 TDs with less interceptions and most importantly, it's got to look like he's getting better from week to week.

As far as wins go, I expect nothing short of 7-9 for this season. But if he looks really good statistically and improves and we only win, let's say 6 games this year, I wouldn't be upset.

I agree with everyone else to see him play a full season, look like an NFL starter and improve by seasons end. I'd also like to see him step up in clutch situations and win a game or two when the games on the line......

I agree with everyone else to see him play a full season, look like an NFL starter and improve by seasons end. I'd also like to see him step up in clutch situations and win a game or two when the games on the line......

yes. A late game comeback or two. Or maybe a well managed game to hold the lead when the game is on the line.

8-10 wins, more tds than ints and around 3500 yards

These expectations are far too lofty.

I'd say the record is irrelevant, nearly. 5-11 or 6-10 could be a success if he plays consistently and limits mistakes.

I'll take a 6-10/7-9 season with 20+ TDs (combined running and passing), less than 13 INTs and at least 2750 yards.

^This. No need to embellish with stats of any kind. Just a demonstrable progression of an understanding of the game and proof that he belongs.

GO BILLS!!!