Doug Marrone grows irritated

ADD: thanks to those, GG and WEO among others, for their defense -- in this instance -- of me. i couldn't let them continue on without posting a note of my own.

Do you think you had a productive interview about training camp?

not entirely sure how to answer that. questions were asked, answers were provided. i wrote a story.

jw

Edited by john wawrow

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ADD: thanks to those, GG and WEO among others, for their defense -- in this instance -- of me. i couldn't let them continue on without posting a note of my own.

not entirely sure how to answer that. questions were asked, answers were provided. i wrote a story.

jw

Just this instance, jw!

(kidding)

jw

Productive T.C. interviews are overrated.

I don't know that it was necessarily Secrecy. I think it was something Marrone really didn't want to talk about.

Failed attempt at avoidance seems better to me.

So, the next time Marrone says "As I’ve told you before, I have no information from yesterday, that’s the God’s truth. I appreciate that everyone has to ask that question, I totally get it, I really do, but I promise you, I’m telling you the truth." what are we to think?

So, the next time Marrone says "As I’ve told you before, I have no information from yesterday, that’s the God’s truth. I appreciate that everyone has to ask that question, I totally get it, I really do, but I promise you, I’m telling you the truth." what are we to think?

It's hard to take the Lord's name in vain the in the NFL?

jw

Hell get Marrone on here. I'll let him know how poorly I think he handled the situation as well.

You don't like the term pissing match, that's fine. Call it what you will, flare up, misunderstanding, too many people talking at once, I don't care. I don't think anyone came across looking all that good in the exchange.

In my opinion, the coach, the reporters, the Bills, and Williams all had a hand in making a nothing story into an overblown situation.

As a reader/viewer/consumer of Bills info, I would have much preferred an interaction that resulted in more information about what was going on in training camp from the coach's perspective.

I don't care.

I just didn't find it to be an attempt at "secrecy".

Seemed pretty plain to me he just didn't want to talk about it, no that he was trying to hide the issue or misdirect people.

Maybe I'm a chump, I tend to believe people until I know they're lying to me.

Hell get Marrone on here. I'll let him know how poorly I think he handled the situation as well.

You don't like the term pissing match, that's fine. Call it what you will, flare up, misunderstanding, too many people talking at once, I don't care. I don't think anyone came across looking all that good in the exchange.

In my opinion, the coach, the reporters, the Bills, and Williams all had a hand in making a nothing story into an overblown situation.

As a reader/viewer/consumer of Bills info, I would have much preferred an interaction that resulted in more information about what was going on in training camp from the coach's perspective.

uhh, 17 other questions were asked during the near 13-minute briefing with the media. you seem to think this exchange was all that took place. in fact, the first Williams question came after Marrone's opening statement and following a question about how he takes a hands-on approach in working with the O-line.

as well, there were two more questions regarding other topics that followed the final exchange.

jw

uhh, 17 other questions were asked during the near 13-minute briefing with the media. you seem to think this exchange was all that took place. in fact, the first Williams question came after Marrone's opening statement and following a question about how he takes a hands-on approach in working with the O-line.

as well, there were two more questions regarding other topics that followed the final exchange.

jw

And?

Do you think I should have been satisfied with the answers i got instead of wanting more information than what was provided?

I have no strong opinion on this either way.

Why?

If Bill Belicheck had a record like Jauron, his antics wouldn't be 'celebrated' by some, it would be viewed as shallow and the media would rip him.

But Bill wins so it is tolerated.

Same with Doug Marrone: Win, and suddenly fans will view it differently.

It's not apparent what he learned from Parcells. I never saw Parcells get exasperated so quickly, or ever, really.

Parcells belittled the press, but never had to resort to saying things like "I'm a straight shooter...". Sounded like pleading. The locals smelled a little blood in the water. Parcells never had a day like that. Also, I don't think Parcells ever came into a room where he didn't anticipate and have ready an answer to all questions. I never watched him and thought he didn't know what was going on with on of his players.

because you've watched parcells press conferences the first year he was coach?

John, I find that you are about as professional as they come in the Buffalo media. That is why I restricted my comments to guys like Sullivan, Gleason, and Harrington. I watched the video and listened to an extended clip of the PC. Your exchange with Marrone just happened to be the culmination of a lot of people asking essentially same questions over and over (beginning the day before). There are some people in the Buffalo media who try to drive their narrative. Guys like Sullivan who tweeted on July 30th: "It's always something with Mario Williams" and who seems to be fixated on things like the fact that Mario has his own refrigerator. This is the same "sports" writer who apparently has the same level of sports knowledge (or lack thereof) as Justin Bieber -- they both do not know that you do not walk over a team logo in a dressing room whether it is the Buffalo Sabres or Chicago Blackhawks. Guys like Sullivan, Gleason, and Harrington have an agenda. An example of that with Sullivan and Harrington was that embarrassing Sabres PC. You do not appear to have an agenda like these guys. I think that is why people and the teams respect you more than these other guys.

Jerry Sullivan is a columnist. He gives opinions. You may disagree with them or not but that is the purpose for writing his opinion columns. His job is to provoke others into thinking about the topic that he is writing about. After each game he most often doesn't write a piece on the specific plays as much as he gives an overview of the game or a particular aspect of it, such as play calling or coaching strategy.

There is nothing wrong with disagreeing with his take on things. If you are reacting to what he wrote then he is accomplishing his mission i.e. getting you to think. Good columnists very often invite backlash responses to what they write. For them that is a positive sign that they hit a chord.

In many ways a good columnist is anti-establishment in approach who challenges authority. That is his role and what he gets paid to do. I simply don't understand why he gets vilified for being critical of a franchise that doesn't have much of a recent history for competency.

There are too many people who believe that media types should be cheerleaders for the home team. It doesn't work that way. The Buffalo market in general is not covered by sharks seeking prey. The western NY media coverage is very tame compared to the ravenous media coverage in Philly, NYC and Boston. If some of the media critics believe that the western NY reporters are out of line in their coverage of the team then what would they think of the more unruly, aggressive and obnoxiious people covering those other more intense markets?

Edited by JohnC

im pretty sure based on mario's conference yesterday, you know where marrone stands regarding how he is relating injuries and other issues with the press....

you're going ot get what you hear once, and if you don't like it tough..

"we are in the information gatherers profession, and not the information sharing profession"...not exact word for word from mr marrone, but close enough..

And?

Do you think I should have been satisfied with the answers i got instead of wanting more information than what was provided?

You didn't get any information. You got a coach claiming he he had no information. If you want to believe that, then you were totally satisfied. If you think he had to know more than he admitted to (it's hard to imagine anyone thinks Marrone didn't have a clue as to the nature of the injury at that time), then you would conclude he's not a "God's honest truth straight shooter".

because you've watched parcells press conferences the first year he was coach?

No, because several posters have compared Marrone's episode to how Parcells dealt with the press (they were definitely not referring to his Parcells's first year as HC). In reality, the two couldn't be more different. Parcells belittled the press but he was always on the offensive and sought to control the entire environment of the presser. Marrone was clearly on the defensive. It was amateurish.

If the Bills struggle, the questions are going to be a lot tougher to bluster through than that of Mario's latest mystery injury. Marrone should know this. This isn't Syracuse.

Jerry Sullivan is a columnist. He gives opinions. You may disagree with them or not but that is the purpose for writing his opinion columns. His job is to provoke others into thinking about the topic that he is writing about. After each game he most often doesn't write a piece on the specific plays as much as he gives an overview of the game or a particular aspect of it, such as play calling or coaching strategy.

There is nothing wrong with disagreeing with his take on things. If you are reacting to what he wrote then he is accomplishing his mission i.e. getting you to think. Good columnists very often invite backlash responses to what they write. For them that is a positive sign that they hit a chord.

In many ways a good columnist is anti-establishment in approach who challenges authority. That is his role and what he gets paid to do. I simply don't understand why he gets vilified for being critical of a franchise that doesn't have much of a recent history for competency.

There are too many people who believe that media types should be cheerleaders for the home team. It doesn't work that way. The Buffalo market in general is not covered by sharks seeking prey. The western NY media coverage is very tame compared to the ravenous media coverage in Philly, NYC and Boston. If some of the media critics believe that the western NY reporters are out of line in their coverage of the team then what would they think of the more unruly, aggressive and obnoxiious people covering those other more intense markets?

Jerry has been writing essentially the same "column" since he arrived at the Buffalo News. One of these days, I will have to try to dig up the article he wrote about Bruce Smith way back when. There is a difference between anti-establishment and just being a snarky, childish dick. This is the same guy who suggested that Terry Pegula is a racist and became a billionaire through dumb luck.

As soon as I heard last year that the press' access to Mario was going to be limited, I knew that Sullivan's view of Mario would be slanted. Mario got 10.5 sacks last year while injured and, despite his injury, did not miss a game. Sullivan's take: Mario is a malingerer who is making excuses. In keeping with this narrative and his MO, on July 30th, Sully tweeted: "It's always something with Mario Williams" and essentially said the same thing on WGR.

I love reading insightful, well thought out, provocative columns. The thought behind Sully's writing is about as paper thin as his (and apparently Justin Bieber's) sports knowledge (I had to laugh when Bieber did the same thing as Sully. How does a sports columnist not know that you do not walk over the team logo in an NHL dressing room?). Both Sully's questions (if you haven't, you should listen to the questions he asks at PCs) and his writing are merely designed to push his pre-existing narrative.

Edited by Peter

Jerry has been writing essentially the same "column" since he arrived at the Buffalo News. One of these days, I will have to try to dig up the article he wrote about Bruce Smith way back when. There is a difference between anti-establishment and just being a snarky, childish dick. This is the same guy who suggested that Terry Pegula is a racist and became a billionaire through dumb luck.

As soon as I heard last year that the press' access to Mario was going to be limited, I knew that Sullivan's view of Mario would be slanted. Mario got 10.5 sacks last year while injured and, despite his injury, did not miss a game. Sullivan's take: Mario is a malingerer who is making excuses. In keeping with this narrative and his MO, on July 30th, Sully tweeted: "It's always something with Mario Williams" and essentially said the same thing on WGR.

I love reading insightful, well thought out, provocative columns. The thought behind Sully's writing is about as paper thin as his (and apparently Justin Bieber's) sports knowledge (I had to laugh when Bieber did the same thing as Sully. How does a sports columnist not know that you do not walk over the team logo in an NHL dressing room?). Both Sully's questions (if you haven't, you should listen to the questions he asks at PCs) and his writing are merely designed to push his pre-existing narrative.

Exactly. Just like when he was being a dick to Ted Black at the Sabres end of season presser. You know, where he admitted in the middle of his hissy fit that he already had his column written before the press conference even started. He's an embarrassment.

Edited by biglukes

with all due respect, isn't always something with Mario. has his presence, since nearly the beginning, hijacked several story lines that would've been better served.

from his 2-1/2 days of negotiating the deal, to his wrist, to his inconsistent performance on a porous defense, to his failed engagement, to his comments about Pettine's style, to his posting of the questionable Aaron Hernandez drawing, to this ... through it all, as much as anyone would like to write something positive about him -- and there are positives -- the storyline continues to get shifted back to the theme of: "What's Mario up to now?"

i'd welcome that. unfortunately, i can only read and react to the latest thing.

and i write this, even as i attempted to get off to a fresh start with Mario with the piece i wrote on reporting day, during which i led with Mario wearing a Superman hat and trying to put the past behind.

two days later, and with no intention of wanting to write about Mario again, something happened.

jw