Any news on renovations?

mrags

Ok, months have went bye after confirmation that The Ralph will undergo some serious renovations. Don't remember exactly what the renovations were but I remember an awning type of walkway for the main entrance, bathroom upgrades, Etc...

Has there been any word on this at all? Are they working? Is it on hold? Not even sure what the time frame on everything was but It did all get approved for close to $200m didn't it?

4 – Chris:

Long-time reader, first-time writer. Congrats again on the Manuel call. I heard the idea from you first, so credit where credit’s due!

Quick question about the Ralph renovations. What’s the timetable? Has any work started? As a season-ticket holder, I’m excited about the planned changes, and I wanted to know if anything will be different come the home opener. Thanks, and keep up the great work.

Will in Philadelphia

CB: Thanks for the kind words. With respect to renovations there will be some work done this year, but it won’t be all that noticeable to the fans attending the stadium. That’s because it’s a lot of the guts of the stadium that will be upgraded. The more cosmetic projects like the east end scoreboard additions and big west end pavilion project will not get going until 2014.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2013/06/07/fan-friday-6-7/

Ok, months have went bye after confirmation that The Ralph will undergo some serious renovations. Don't remember exactly what the renovations were but I remember an awning type of walkway for the main entrance, bathroom upgrades, Etc...

Has there been any word on this at all? Are they working? Is it on hold? Not even sure what the time frame on everything was but It did all get approved for close to $200m didn't it?

I saw them putting down lines in the parking lots. Lot 5 is all black top now. Weight room expansion work going on. LOUD speakers on all 4 towers now. Sealing of upper deck going on now. New metal skin on maintenance building done. New goal posts installed on practice field. I have a 99.44% feeling that Abbott Road will NOT be blockaded this year.

Funny you should mention that. I was looking at the suggested routes map last night and noticed it looked like you would be able to drive south on Abbott into Drive 1....

http://prod.static.b...sted-routes.pdf

http://www.buffalobi...directions.html

Top of the page sez Abbott Road still block in front of the Ralph

Edited by Hammered a Lot

I saw them putting down lines in the parking lots. Lot 5 is all black top now. Weight room expansion work going on. LOUD speakers on all 4 towers now. Sealing of upper deck going on now. New metal skin on maintenance building done. New goal posts installed on practice field. I have a 99.44% feeling that Abbott Road will NOT be blockaded this year.

Let me guess, you use Ivory Soap? 99.44% pure.

I saw what I thought was this soap commercial. Then it turned out to be a really weird commercial for fruit. Then in a move no one saw coming, they duped me and pulled some soap out of the fruit. Damn, I was 99.44% sure it was a weird fruit commercial. They duped me!

Can I state for the record that these are the all-time dumbest upgrades in the history of stadium upgrades. Not one substantially improves the fan experience. Are you telling me that an awning and new toilets for x million dollars is going to substantially improve the fan experience? They'd have been better off putting restaurants into the stadium and expanded concessions. Lambeau Field's amenities would have been a quality template to work from.

Can I state for the record that these are the all-time dumbest upgrades in the history of stadium upgrades. Not one substantially improves the fan experience. Are you telling me that an awning and new toilets for x million dollars is going to substantially improve the fan experience? They'd have been better off putting restaurants into the stadium and expanded concessions. Lambeau Field's amenities would have been a quality template to work from.

Better bathrooms certainly would enhance my experience more than a restaurant in the stadium

• 2 months later...

The only tangible thing that comes from the article is that Branden is a tool Why they're spending 135 mill on an already obsolete stadium is laughable

Ok. So making access to the stadium quicker is a fan benefit. Fixing and adding bathrooms is a fan benefit. Building a new concession building in order to provide better food is a fan benefit. Seat time should be the most important thing to a fan. Getting to see the game that they are paying to see, Not standing in excessive beer, food and piss lines all while missing the game! Speed everything up.

So to counterpoint, I do not think this is the dumbest upgrade of a stadium of all time. Outside of agreeing with you that this money would be far better served going to a new stadium. With the ownership situation as it is, a new stadium? Not happening. So actually I could argue that spending 135 million on an obsolete stadium that extends it's life by at least ten years is in todays world a pretty fair deal. Cheapest ten years for a stadium in the country I bet!

We have to play in this league. Much like owning A McDonalds franchise you have to do upgrades that you may not like but it is part of playing in that league.

This is smart in that it also allows the proper process to occur should there be a new stadium eventually. It will be designed and planned out properly at a sustainable cost. In my grand scheme it will cost some serious money, and time to demolish all the Perry street projects and build the infrastructure for the new stadium there. :-)

My shortcut is building it across Abbott Rd and then tearing down the Ralph.

Where is the Bills Hall of Fame??????

In the new stadium :-)

I've been to Met Life stadium and also Citifield (Mets' stadium) and honestly, the new stadiums look great and all, but they feel more like a mall than they do a football stadium. As old as our stadium is, it has more of a "football" feel to it.

As long as the stadium doesn't collapse, I'm fine with our stadium.

They DO need to add more TV screens though (which I believe they are) and the sound system definitely needs an upgrade. Maybe a BOOM BOOM BOOM noise on 3rd down defense and have it speed up so people could start smacking their seats to start a Bills Stampede would be nice too...

Ok. So making access to the stadium quicker is a fan benefit. Fixing and adding bathrooms is a fan benefit. Building a new concession building in order to provide better food is a fan benefit. Seat time should be the most important thing to a fan. Getting to see the game that they are paying to see, Not standing in excessive beer, food and piss lines all while missing the game! Speed everything up.

So to counterpoint, I do not think this is the dumbest upgrade of a stadium of all time. Outside of agreeing with you that this money would be far better served going to a new stadium. With the ownership situation as it is, a new stadium? Not happening. So actually I could argue that spending 135 million on an obsolete stadium that extends it's life by at least ten years is in todays world a pretty fair deal. Cheapest ten years for a stadium in the country I bet!

We have to play in this league. Much like owning A McDonalds franchise you have to do upgrades that you may not like but it is part of playing in that league.

This is smart in that it also allows the proper process to occur should there be a new stadium eventually. It will be designed and planned out properly at a sustainable cost. In my grand scheme it will cost some serious money, and time to demolish all the Perry street projects and build the infrastructure for the new stadium there. :-)

In the new stadium :-)

stop making sense here.

I wonder what Chef Robert Irvine from Restaurant Impossible could do to the Ralph with 2 days and $10,000

I know what he would do first:

Beer only lines at the concession stands, and more taps at each stand to keep up with the demand.

as Beerme1 so adroitly mentioned, biggest key is giving people more seat time.

BTW, i think these improvements sound awesome...and I love the Ralph

Here's what the Washington Peanuts are doing to their stadium, FedEx Field:

A person familiar with the situation had said Monday that the FedEx Field renovation includes Wi-Fi, seating modifications, ribbon boards (a form of stadium signage) and a Hall of Fame expansion.

$27million in renovations and some of it is League money. Anybody know if we got League money for the parking lot lines?

Here's what the Washington Peanuts are doing to their stadium, FedEx Field:

A person familiar with the situation had said Monday that the FedEx Field renovation includes Wi-Fi, seating modifications, ribbon boards (a form of stadium signage) and a Hall of Fame expansion.

$27million in renovations and some of it is League money. Anybody know if we got League money for the parking lot lines?

Been in both and the Ralph is better than Fedex. Fedex is like going to the mall. The Ralph is a basic football palace.

Lol, yeah some of the renovations led to the sewage issues last game...from what I heard this year's upgrades are going to mostly be internal infrastructure and not be seeable, its next year's upgrades that will be visible

Thank you for shutting down the naysayers. Always so many naysayers in Buffalo.

Been in both and the Ralph is better than Fedex. Fedex is like going to the mall. The Ralph is a basic football palace.

Agreed, except for the restrooms and food/drink. But that will be fixed.

Edited by Offsides Number 76

My biggest gripe with the newer stadiums is that the addition of suites and large club areas tends to push the majority of seating farther away from the field. I've sat in the upper deck at Met Life and I would take the Ralph over it any day.

I don't understand what people are looking for when they say they want a new stadium. I get that some people want a dome or a different location, but most of the stadiums current deficiencies could be addressed by renovations: narrow concourses, poor concessions, third world quality bathrooms.

My biggest gripe with the newer stadiums is that the addition of suites and large club areas tends to push the majority of seating farther away from the field. I've sat in the upper deck at Met Life and I would take the Ralph over it any day.

I don't understand what people are looking for when they say they want a new stadium. I get that some people want a dome or a different location, but most of the stadiums current deficiencies could be addressed by renovations: narrow concourses, poor concessions, third world quality bathrooms.

this. Great post.

I'd love a stadium downtown. Don't get me wrong. But I'd much rather stay at the Ralph as long as the thing isn't falling down. The upgrades, both structurally and cosmetically should help on all fronts.