Brad Smith Renegotiates Contract

Lots of people on THIS BOARD thought he'd be gone. He is a good football player and now that we have a coaching staff his value will become evident fairly quickly. Keep in mind..... many of these dweebs are fantasy football losers. There is a difference between knowledgeable fans and fantasy dweebs. Fantasy dweebs are gamblers. Nothing more. Know little about the game. Route against their own team to make 2 dollars. Zero's every one of em in my opinion.

The Buffalo Bills are a better football team with Brad Smith on the roster. Period.

Your generalization is absurd. I don't play fantasy football and I don't gamble. Brad Smith is a bad QB, a not very good WR and a good ST player. I don't think the Bills should use a rooster spot for a soon to be thirty ST player. They would be better served giving that spot to a young receiver that at least has potential,

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chan Gailey was supposed to be an offensive minded coach. Yet, he stubbornly under utilized Spiller and he didn't exploit Smith's talents. Smith was a successful wild cat runner who often came in on third down situations. I don't have the stats but his rate of success in gaining first downs in short yardage situations was very high. Then it seemed like he became a forgotten man. How often was he used in the passing game? What was the point of bringing in a player and giving him a relatively high end contract and then under utilize him. I'm well aware that Fitz was a scatter arm but it makes no sense to "bring in" players and then waste their talents. Smith is probably not going to be a major impact player but that doesn't mean that his abilities can't be better used to give our offense a wider dimension.

Your generalization is absurd. I don't play fantasy football and I don't gamble. Brad Smith is a bad QB, a not very good WR and a good ST player. I don't think the Bills should use a rooster spot for a soon to be thirty ST player. They would be better served giving that spot to a young receiver that at least has potential,

How often does the #5 wr see the field, let alone realize that potential compared to a key participant on the ST? Granted that Smith hadn't lived up to his contact to date, but now that he's renegotiated, that story is out the window

A hallmark of the Maronne era Bills appears to be player versatility. If you got it - you could be on the team. If you lack it - you'd better be damn good at the one thing you do.

They're not chopping wood in the orchard. They're pruning a young tree, grooming it for future growth.

TRP07055_027_Gulick.jpgtree.jpg

Chan Gailey was supposed to be an offensive minded coach. Yet, he stubbornly under utilized Spiller and he didn't exploit Smith's talents. Smith was a successful wild cat runner who often came in on third down situations. I don't have the stats but his rate of success in gaining first downs in short yardage situations was very high. Then it seemed like he became a forgotten man. How often was he used in the passing game? What was the point of bringing in a player and giving him a relatively high end contract and then under utilize him. I'm well aware that Fitz was a scatter arm but it makes no sense to "bring in" players and then waste their talents. Smith is probably not going to be a major impact player but that doesn't mean that his abilities can't be better used to give our offense a wider dimension.

Just not true John. Besides, if these guys drafted EJ, and he's our starter and they still put in Brad Smith to run the wildcat--ever---then thay are crazy.

No team has ever used Smith as QB because he's not a good QB. Simple. He has no skills EJ doesn't have. He's a WR with minimal career production. He was a very good kick returner for the the Jets (50 returns in 2010 for 1400 yards and 2 TDs). He's hardly run out any kickoffs for the Bills--15 in 2011, 18 in 2012.

So basically, another off-season talking about how versatile and valuable he is to the Bills (someone even said they are better off with him than without).

My guess is that Marrone is going to see how his rookie WRs play and Smith may not therefore make the final roster. If his only value at that point is as a KR, his dozen plus returns can easily be replaced.

How often does the #5 wr see the field, let alone realize that potential compared to a key participant on the ST? Granted that Smith hadn't lived up to his contact to date, but now that he's renegotiated, that story is out the window

Based on what? The front office negotiates contracts. The coaching staff evaluates talent. I didn't mention his contract and don't care. I don't think his production on ST warrants a rooster spot.

Im not totally upset by this. Smith is a very versatile player. Lets see what Marrone and co. can do with him. I have a feeling he will be utilized much better then he was under Gailey.

I hear a lot about versatility but is he really all that versatile? And does his versatility really bring value to the team?

He can throw, but not well enough to actually throw in the NFL. So that is irrelevant.

After that his versatility consists of being able to run with the ball, return kickoffs and catch. That essentially puts him on par from a versatility perspective with fjax, spiller, and likely almost all of the other WRs on the team, except Graham... We are not sure he can catch yet.

At the end of the day my hope is if they keep smith, it's because he's actually a good wr not for this phantom asset of "versatility".

I hear a lot about versatility but is he really all that versatile? And does his versatility really bring value to the team?

He can throw, but not well enough to actually throw in the NFL. So that is irrelevant.

After that his versatility consists of being able to run with the ball, return kickoffs and catch. That essentially puts him on par from a versatility perspective with fjax, spiller, and likely almost all of the other WRs on the team, except Graham... We are not sure he can catch yet.

At the end of the day my hope is if they keep smith, it's because he's actually a good wr not for this phantom asset of "versatility".

He's a very good kick and punt coverage player as well.

He's also a great locker room guy and there is value in that as well. Especially on this team.

GO BILLS!!!

Based on what? The front office negotiates contracts. The coaching staff evaluates talent. I didn't mention his contract and don't care. I don't think his production on ST warrants a rooster spot.

He's been one of the better ST players on this team since he's arrived if you just want to take a look at his contribution on the field. Once you take the contract discussions off the table, then he certainly warrants a roster spot over a Naaman Roosevelt.

He's been one of the better ST players on this team since he's arrived if you just want to take a look at his contribution on the field. Once you take the contract discussions off the table, then he certainly warrants a roster spot over a Naaman Roosevelt.

How about Rogers? If Smith and Rogers come out of camp neck and neck, who do you keep?

Just not true John. Besides, if these guys drafted EJ, and he's our starter and they still put in Brad Smith to run the wildcat--ever---then thay are crazy.

No team has ever used Smith as QB because he's not a good QB. Simple. He has no skills EJ doesn't have. He's a WR with minimal career production. He was a very good kick returner for the the Jets (50 returns in 2010 for 1400 yards and 2 TDs). He's hardly run out any kickoffs for the Bills--15 in 2011, 18 in 2012.

So basically, another off-season talking about how versatile and valuable he is to the Bills (someone even said they are better off with him than without).

My guess is that Marrone is going to see how his rookie WRs play and Smith may not therefore make the final roster. If his only value at that point is as a KR, his dozen plus returns can easily be replaced.

We are not on the same page. I agree with you that as a qb he is very limited to the point of being useless. There is no chance that he will be considered in that conventional role. However, in his first year he was useful when used in specific short yardage third down situations. Even in those situations as the season advanced he was phased out in that role.

The central point I was making in the prior post was that he was brought in at a relatively expensive rate for what purpose? Even as a wildcat situatiional player why pay a premium price for such a limited role player? If he was mostly a good special teams' player was his price tag worth his production? Obviously not. Was he a receiver? Rarely so. My criticism is that this is another front office poor calculatiion. If you are not going to use him as envisioned then what was the reason for his signing?

There is an irony here with this lame organization. They play hardball with their productive players and they have loose pockets for not only questionable players but players whose intended roles are not utilized . Isn't it wiser to slightly spend more for talent, at least you get production, rather than over spend on players that you haven't figured out how to use?.

There are still many Nix apologists that exist. That I don't understand. He had an undisciplied and haphazard approach to assembling a roster. It lacked coherency and intelligence. His 16-32 record reflected his competency level as a GM. Who the heck hired a person so ill-equpped for the position? It must have been the same person who hired the congenial Levy to be a GM!

Edited by JohnC

Although I don't have a list, Aaron Wilson breaks plenty of stories all around the league. It's not uncommon to see the likes of Schefter and LaCanfora tweet things along the lines of, "As reported by Aaron Wilson..."

Aaron Wilson should just change his first name to Adam to go along with Schefter, Schein, and Kaplan. Canfora should do the same.

We're out of coffee.

Aaron Wilson should just change his first name to Adam to go along with Schefter, Schein, and Kaplan. Canfora should do the same.

We're out of coffee.

Aaron comes before Adam in dictionary and top billing is very important.

As for Jaybee's unexpected treatise on fantasy football, fantasy football was actually started by a group of Oakland Raiders (AFL) executives who played it in part to keep up with players on other teams.

The Raiders would travel east to play the Jets, Bills, and Patriots and would often be away from the west coast for 3 straight weeks. Fantasy football was also a recreational pursuit for them.

The fact of being a fantasy footballer has no bearing on the knowledge of the fan one way or the other, IMO.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fantasy_football_(American)#History

Aaron comes before Adam in dictionary and top billing is very important.

Then the others should possibly change their names to Aaron?

We are not on the same page. I agree with you that as a qb he is very limited to the point of being useless. There is no chance that he will be considered in that conventional role. However, in his first year he was useful when used in specific short yardage third down situations. Even in those situations as the season advanced he was phased out in that role.

The only way Smith would be considered for gadget plays is if the QBs fail in craptastic fashion. You don't pull the most important player on the offensive side of the ball out of the game in critical situations unless that player can't get it done. I hope that those days are behind us.

The Wildcat is and has been dead.

It's pointless to insert a quarterback who can't throw and thus makes the offense one-dimensional.

The read-option however won't be quite the blip on the screen that the Wildcat was, IMO.

It seems to me that there are lots of dual-threat college QBs who will be able to run the read-option in the pros, even if they work out of a sub package.

The only way Smith would be considered for gadget plays is if the QBs fail in craptastic fashion. You don't pull the most important player on the offensive side of the ball out of the game in critical situations unless that player can't get it done. I hope that those days are behind us.

While I agree with that in theory, Smith has averaged 6.0 yards per carry since he came here and 7.3 for his career. CJ 5.4. I'm not saying that Smith is in the same hemisphere as CJ as a runner, but for a guy who everyone knows is going to run to still average 6 yards a carry is pretty damn effective.

Edited by Kelly the Dog