The 2013 Training Camp Thread

Heitz

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very interesting that they're allowing EJ to watch Kolb get the $#@% pounded out of him with Pettine's exotic blitzes while he still gets nearly the same number of reps against a more basic defense. I see the mind of an evil genius at work here...

really? There not even in pads. I see early training camp with an extremely raw rookie. That's far from an evil genius.

really? There not even in pads. I see early training camp with an extremely raw rookie. That's far from an evil genius.

Actually, today they are in pads. You said you "see" early training camp -- have you been in attendance all three days? I think Doug Marrone is a pretty smart guy, and if he allows his first round draft pick QB to look "good" in practice at the expense of the journeyman backup there's some value in that. Marrone said it will be "obvious" at some point who the starter should be, and perhaps he's orchestrating things to a certain extent to get the result the organization wants. I don't believe Marrone wants to "waste" a season starting Kolb. I could be wrong, but that's what I think.

Exotic blitzes or not, I haven't read a single comment suggesting Manuel hasn't "out-practiced" Kolb thus far. Several articles have been written about how EJ is looking better each day and rifling passes all over the place.

I'll put it another way -- if Kolb is truly a top-flight NFL QB prospect, he should have been way ahead of EJ at this stage. It appears he is not, and may in fact already be behind.

How old are your kids?

14 and a pair of 12's. Yeah they are young and far from experts but have been going to camp for years.

They tend to focus on QBs and noticed Fitz's bad delivery before most.

Take it for what its worth :)

Oh and they like the Bills QB situation this year for the first time in their lives ;)

Edited by CodeMonkey

14 and a pair of 12's. Yeah they are young and far from experts but have been going to camp for years.

Oh and they like the Bills QB situation this year for the first time in their lives ;)

Awesome -- I actually prefer the opinion of an "untrained" and honest eye over the "experts" out there. :thumbsup:

Actually, today they are in pads. You said you "see" early training camp -- have you been in attendance all three days? I think Doug Marrone is a pretty smart guy, and if he allows his first round draft pick QB to look "good" in practice at the expense of the journeyman backup there's some value in that. Marrone said it will be "obvious" at some point who the starter should be, and perhaps he's orchestrating things to a certain extent to get the result the organization wants. I don't believe Marrone wants to "waste" a season starting Kolb. I could be wrong, but that's what I think.

Exotic blitzes or not, I haven't read a single comment suggesting Manuel hasn't "out-practiced" Kolb thus far. Several articles have been written about how EJ is looking better each day and rifling passes all over the place.

I'll put it another way -- if Kolb is truly a top-flight NFL QB prospect, he should have been way ahead of EJ at this stage. It appears he is not, and may in fact already be behind.

The session I believe you were referring to was without pads. Today, Tuesday I believe was the first time they were ALLOWED to wear pads per the CBA.

The only people calling Kolb a "top flight prospect" are right here on this board. I see no evil genius in giving a rookie a break with blitz packages. I don't believe for a second that Marrone is trying to set up Kolb to fail. Kolb pretty much sucks, He's a stop gap. He knows that. and EJ is a complete unknown and has big question marks (except for QB starved Bills fans).

Non contact drills show exactly what? I am in EJ's corner but these guys are starting camp. Marrone isn't about to screw with what little if any chemistry is on this for the most part new team. So far we have one holdout, one bad toe, a DT with HUGE question marks judging by Marrones checking out other options so far. Do you think Marrone would really be trying to make his "rookie look good" at the expense of chemistry in a QB battle. This is not pop Warner. I know these players aren't rocket scientists but Kolb also has value as a mentor too EJ. Marrone if he is playing his rookie up to "look good" Then he's possibly going to suck in his first year playing college level mind games.

Edited by Best Player Available

The only people calling Kolb a "top flight prospect" are right here on this board. I see no evil genius in giving a rookie a break with blitz packages. I don't believe for a second that Marrone is trying to set up Kolb to fail. Kolb pretty much sucks, He's a stop gap. He knows that. and EJ is a complete unknown and has big question marks (except for QB starved Bills fans).

I think everybody (except maybe Kolb, though that's debateable) knows that Kolb sucks. I can't imagine anyone on here is actually "rooting" for Kolb to beat out EJ, or considers Kolb a "top flight prospect."

I hope the competition is rigged to build up EJ's confidence, get him ready, and get him on the trajectory of being game-ready as soon as possible.

I think everybody (except maybe Kolb, though that's debateable) knows that Kolb sucks. I can't imagine anyone on here is actually "rooting" for Kolb to beat out EJ, or considers Kolb a "top flight prospect."

I hope the competition is rigged to build up EJ's confidence, get him ready, and get him on the trajectory of being game-ready as soon as possible.

I think "sucks" is way too strong. He is not a long term solution of course but seems more than capable of running things until Manuel is ready, then as a capable backup.

All the people that are hell bent on getting Manuel starting NOW puzzle me. I don't care if it takes the entire season, I don't want him in until Marrone knows he is ready. For example, EJ seems to get happy feet real easy so far. That is OK in camp but is a sure way to get himself hurt in live games.

Edited by CodeMonkey

The session I believe you were referring to was without pads. Today, Tuesday I believe was the first time they were ALLOWED to wear pads per the CBA.

Non contact drills show exactly what? I am in EJ's corner but these guys are starting camp. Marrone isn't about to screw with what little if any chemistry is on this for the most part new team. So far we have one holdout, one bad toe, a DT with HUGE question marks judging by Marrones checking out other options so far. Do you think Marrone would really be trying to make his "rookie look good" at the expense of chemistry in a QB battle. This is not pop Warner. I know these players aren't rocket scientists but Kolb also has value as a mentor too EJ. Marrone if he is playing his rookie up to "look good" Then he's possibly going to suck in his first year playing college level mind games.

We'll just agree to disagree.

I think "sucks" is way too strong. He is not a long term solution of course but seems more than capable of running things until Manuel is ready, then as a capable backup.

All the people that are hell bent on getting Manuel starting NOW puzzle me. I don't care if it takes the entire season, I don't want him in until Marrone knows he is ready. For example, EJ seems to get happy feet real easy so far. That is OK in camp but is a sure way to get himself hurt in live games.

"Happy feet"? According to whom?

From what I saw on NFL network thus far...this "competition" could very easily be over by the end of the week.

I did see EJ screw up a play/handoff, in terms of who's going where playbook stuff. They reset the play and he made it. Everything else he did was pretty nice, nothing special tho. I don't know who had the last pass of the day, but that was really nice.

I did not see EJ throw the ball, right when the NFL network guys were talking about the "Gatorade Boy is Kolb's favorite WR", on cue, to the Gatorade Boy.

:bag::lol: Kolb did that.

I did not see EJ throw a ball to Steve, who had blown by his man(Brooks)...but throw it so weakly that SJ had to stand there and wait for it :wallbash: giving Brooks plenty of time to recover and break it up.

:bag::angry: Kolb did that.

I did not see EJ fumble the ball out of the shotgun...WTF? Who is the rookie again?.

:bag::blink: Kolb did that.

And, this was all in the 5 minutes of live practice that I saw. Also, Kolb is lucky it wasn't live, because it if was, he would almost certainly have been knocked out of the game, if not the season, by 2 defenders, sacking him at the same time. (Edit: if that was Brady, and a real game? They would have broken him in half. No schit. Here's hoping we see that D call again)

I will continue to keep an open mind, but Kolb has to be significantly better than what I saw today.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

From what I saw on NFL network thus far...this "competition" could very easily be over by the end of the week.

I did see EJ screw up a play/handoff, in terms of who's going where playbook stuff. They reset the play and he made it. Everything else he did was pretty nice, nothing special tho. I don't know who had the last pass of the day, but that was really nice.

I did not see EJ throw the ball, right when the NFL network guys were talking about the "Gatorade Boy is Kolb's favorite WR", on cue, to the Gatorade Boy.

:bag::lol: Kolb did that.

I did not see EJ throw a ball to Steve, who had blown by his man(Brooks)...but throw it so weakly that SJ had to stand there and wait for it :wallbash: giving Brooks plenty of time to recover and break it up.

:bag::angry: Kolb did that.

I did not see EJ fumble the ball out of the shotgun...WTF? Who is the rookie again?.

:bag::blink: Kolb did that.

And, this was all in the 5 minutes of live practice that I saw. Also, Kolb is lucky it wasn't live, because it if was, he would almost certainly have been knocked out of the game, if not the season, by 2 defenders, sacking him at the same time. (Edit: if that was Brady, and a real game? They would have broken him in half. No schit. Here's hoping we see that D call again)

I will continue to keep an open mind, but Kolb has to be significantly better than what I saw today.

I couldn't go today. I wish the Bills would put a series of webcams on various parts of the field for people to watch. But I suppose BellyCheat would record it all if they did.

Old enough to know, young enough to not have an agenda. I'll trust their assessment.

Couple shots from today.

85catch.jpg

That photo doesn't look good for #23. Is that our new starting Free Safety, Aaron Williams? Quick get on the phone to Eugene Parker. How much did you say Jairus wanted ?? :-)