An indicator of the Bills implementing analytics

I'll never understand why people who are so pessimistic about the Bills stick around year after year. You'd think if the team was such a disappointment they would just move on and root for another.

PTR

I hear you.... But saying "prove it on the field" is different than "this is the worst team ever and I hate everything about them and they are surely losing." We get some of the latter, but I think many that upset you are simply tired of getting hopes real high and then realizing its not new ideas or people that save the day but new execution... We will see how the ideas translate into results isn't terribly pessimistic.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol.

Whatever. I read crap like this every offseason and in the end the team blows. Just Win football games.

Hug, bring it in brother, cmon .

This analytics is official now. High performance tuned car are always gathering data. the tuning solution for my "fun " car can gather and download damn near every metric occuring within the engine for review at a another time and then make adjustments or do them right now while i drive !.

there are also higher tech units that are used to get every bit of race data with all dynamics measured and adjusted for as most of you might know already.

Players will soon be machines of sorts . NFL is big money and so it goes.

Any body wish for Earl Morral and Johnny Unitas , and John Mackey, and the days when it was all done on the field and a chalkboard.

sorry for the player reference but i was a Colts fan when i was knee high to a grasshopper.

Hug, bring it in brother, cmon .

This analytics is official now. High performance tuned car are always gathering data. the tuning solution for my "fun " car can gather and download damn near every metric occuring within the engine for review at a another time and then make adjustments or do them right now while i drive !.

there are also higher tech units that are used to get every bit of race data with all dynamics measured and adjusted for as most of you might know already.

Players will soon be machines of sorts . NFL is big money and so it goes.

Any body wish for Earl Morral and Johnny Unitas , and John Mackey, and the days when it was all done on the field and a chalkboard.

sorry for the player reference but i was a Colts fan when i was knee high to a grasshopper.

It's the logical progression - the sand lot becoming a science. It's cool to see, but the new mp3 makes you miss your vinyl a little bit. Such is life though.

It's the logical progression - the sand lot becoming a science. It's cool to see, but the new mp3 makes you miss your vinyl a little bit. Such is life though.

sir you may not have guessed my vinyl collection is increasing every time i visit our Record Archive here in Rochester NY.

Last weekend was another ten or so brought home. I have no mp3 and such as my cool friends and all the chiliin do.

Last weekend i picked up some gems. you all are prolly to young.

Jefferson airplane 30 seconds to winterland

The first two Paul Butterfield blues band recordings

The first Rush recording before Neil Peart.

Elvin Bishop

But to take it back down to mono

I lucked out with an old perfect Pete Fountain record. I was in his club in New Orleans in the sixties.

Yep. old school all day.

i might have to go back to pop warner leagues for my football fix since the trend is unstoppable. the future just keeps a comin

but my rockin chair stays the same

I hear you.... But saying "prove it on the field" is different than "this is the worst team ever and I hate everything about them and they are surely losing." We get some of the latter, but I think many that upset you are simply tired of getting hopes real high and then realizing its not new ideas or people that save the day but new execution... We will see how the ideas translate into results isn't terribly pessimistic.

You can't "prove it on the field" until the season actually begins.

PTR

Statements:

1) If a player is slacking it, they see it clear as day. Anyone who has coached or been in athletics knows you can spot the slacker easily - the guy who just trots off to start his route, the OL who just patty cakes and kitty foots his steps. This will be backed up with numbers, now. Those numbers might show CJ at half go is still twice as quick as Choice in velocity. It might show that FJ is more powerful to the right and this could help with game calling.

2) I truly hope that our coaches are real coaches. They can identify talent and they can direct it without the glitz and glamour.

Questions:

1) How much would you rely on it? Seeing that WR make an angle change and still only lose 4% of his speed going to mean anything more then him dropping 2 passes in practice?

2) Could this encourage practice pre madonna's? Guys who go for the numbers on the computer vs. the ball on the field?

Its obviously just a tool one of many. Your eyes and intuition are the easiest way to tell how hard a guy is playing for the most part. But it could be useful to manage in game fatigue and prevent injury, knowing with a more finite degree of accuracy how tired a guy is could make your subs more exact. Also knowing if a guy is slightly favoring one of his sides could indicate some sort of soon to be injury if its very heavy.

Overall I doubt a football coach is going to be a slave to a computer but its not a bad thing to have more ways to look at the same issue.

sir you may not have guessed my vinyl collection is increasing every time i visit our Record Archive here in Rochester NY.

Last weekend was another ten or so brought home. I have no mp3 and such as my cool friends and all the chiliin do.

Last weekend i picked up some gems. you all are prolly to young.

Jefferson airplane 30 seconds to winterland

The first two Paul Butterfield blues band recordings

The first Rush recording before Neil Peart.

Elvin Bishop

But to take it back down to mono

I lucked out with an old perfect Pete Fountain record. I was in his club in New Orleans in the sixties.

Yep. old school all day.

i might have to go back to pop warner leagues for my football fix since the trend is unstoppable. the future just keeps a comin

but my rockin chair stays the same

First off the sound quality on vinyl is far superior to MP3 (Most stuff is recorded in analog and MP3 is also compressed) although MP3 is far more convenient. Some (More indie artists) acts still release vinyl its a niche market but people (Myself included) still like the superior quality and classic feel to it.

I also don't understand why you don't embrace the future. No civilization has ever had success clinging to the past.

You can't "prove it on the field" until the season actually begins.

PTR

Obviously.... But that doesn't mean it's pessimistic to have a wait and see attitude. I can't blame a lot of folks for feeling tired of thinking this is the year and telling all of their friends about how the bills finally did x, y and z and then getting hit in the mouth come September. It's happened too often to fault someone for saying the story isn't all that cool until its "I bet they are winning because...." Instead of "well yea I said this last year but THIS year is different because..."

Though, I think it's lame to rain on others parades too heavily. Sometimes best to bite the tongue or simply say "I hope so"

Edited by NoSaint

Its obviously just a tool one of many. Your eyes and intuition are the easiest way to tell how hard a guy is playing for the most part. But it could be useful to manage in game fatigue and prevent injury, knowing with a more finite degree of accuracy how tired a guy is could make your subs more exact. Also knowing if a guy is slightly favoring one of his sides could indicate some sort of soon to be injury if its very heavy.

Overall I doubt a football coach is going to be a slave to a computer but its not a bad thing to have more ways to look at the same issue.

First off the sound quality on vinyl is far superior to MP3 (Most stuff is recorded in analog and MP3 is also compressed) although MP3 is far more convenient. Some (More indie artists) acts still release vinyl its a niche market but people (Myself included) still like the superior quality and classic feel to it.

I also don't understand why you don't embrace the future. No civilization has ever had success clinging to the past.

its scary.

When i was young i read science fiction books that have nearly all come true. not alot of them turn up with happy endings.

When the team "monitors the player " they might use that solely as the metric to define the player in time. Which then loses the value of the heart and soul of the person. Thats how the team game was developed and it's moving away from that i feel as commercializiation drives profit margins. I dont care for that trend even if my theoretical conclusions are far reaching.

But glad that the Bills are keeping up with the rest of the competition .

I will be left behind of course. you all go on without me and my dodo bird. : )

Obviously.... But that doesn't mean it's pessimistic to have a wait and see attitude. I can't blame a lot of folks for feeling tired of thinking this is the year and telling all of their friends about how the bills finally did x, y and z and then getting hit in the mouth come September. It's happened too often to fault someone for saying the story isn't all that cool until its "I bet they are winning because...." Instead of "well yea I said this last year but THIS year is different because..."

Though, I think it's lame to rain on others parades too heavily. Sometimes best to bite the tongue or simply say "I hope so"

This goes right to the heart of the psyche of different types of fans. I won't question the "fandom" of the naysayers, because deep down I'm sure they really want to see the Bills do well, but I sure as hell don't understand the necessity to downplay and criticize everything just so they don't get their hopes up. Some folks (I could name names) sit back and don't give any opinions about what the Bills should do, but instead come in after the fact to remind us how what they did was unsuccessful. Drives me batty. Trashing the Bills for the past 13 years is the easiest thing in the world to do. Be original.

Back to the point of these analytics -- how can anyone think this isn't a good thing? Seriously, where is any negative aspect of this? They're gathering more information about their players in an effort to better tailor practices and workouts. Maybe it will prevent injuries. Maybe it will show tendencies they didn't know existed. Here's what it won't do -- make them worse.

I understand a lot of the 'Doooomers' feelings. All of us eventually get disgusted with the Bills every year, this century. Yet, every off-season, hope springs eternal. Bashing that angle helps keep the DoomShield secured. As for the question 'why don't you just leave or find another team?', it simply cant be done. IT'S in us. Most of us anyway, who were raised in the area. We couldn't leave if we wanted to -which makes it that much more depressing.

My Dad is a perfect example. He has NEVER missed a play in the history of the Franchise. He has NEVER missed an opportunity to berate the play call or the execution of every play in the history of the Franchise..

I'll never understand why people who are so pessimistic about the Bills stick around year after year. You'd think if the team was such a disappointment they would just move on and root for another.

PTR

Your utter lack of understanding of what fandom entails is revealed in this one sentence. No need for you to comment any further, this is the Rosetta stone of your misunderstanding.

This goes right to the heart of the psyche of different types of fans. I won't question the "fandom" of the naysayers, because deep down I'm sure they really want to see the Bills do well, but I sure as hell don't understand the necessity to downplay and criticize everything just so they don't get their hopes up. Some folks (I could name names) sit back and don't give any opinions about what the Bills should do, but instead come in after the fact to remind us how what they did was unsuccessful. Drives me batty. Trashing the Bills for the past 13 years is the easiest thing in the world to do. Be original.

You and others miss the point. More often the not, the "doomers" are not starting threads to dump on the team. They are responding to threads. One like this for example--a topic which was put out there by the Bills to satisfy the recent questions of "where is the analytics department?" that the organization was hyping in January.

Hope clearly srings eternal in the off season. But since the pattern of hope and hopes dashed has repeated itself for 13 seasons, why must those who are skeptical about little bread and circus items the team puts up to keep hope alive at this time of year sit back and not comment?

Back to the point of these analytics -- how can anyone think this isn't a good thing? Seriously, where is any negative aspect of this? They're gathering more information about their players in an effort to better tailor practices and workouts. Maybe it will prevent injuries. Maybe it will show tendencies they didn't know existed. Here's what it won't do -- make them worse.

We said the same thing about the "new attitude" of the new Gailey regime when he took the TVs out of the weight room. Things got worse actually.

I understand a lot of the 'Doooomers' feelings. All of us eventually get disgusted with the Bills every year, this century. Yet, every off-season, hope springs eternal. Bashing that angle helps keep the DoomShield secured. As for the question 'why don't you just leave or find another team?', it simply cant be done. IT'S in us. Most of us anyway, who were raised in the area. We couldn't leave if we wanted to -which makes it that much more depressing.

My Dad is a perfect example. He has NEVER missed a play in the history of the Franchise. He has NEVER missed an opportunity to berate the play call or the execution of every play in the history of the Franchise..

Well said.

You and others miss the point. More often the not, the "doomers" are not starting threads to dump on the team. They are responding to threads. One like this for example--a topic which was put out there by the Bills to satisfy the recent questions of "where is the analytics department?" that the organization was hyping in January.

I'm not missing the point at all -- this is exactly the point. They can't sit back and say nothing or wait and see, they must immediately come in and "right the ship" by reminding everyone that this optimism is unfounded.

Hope clearly springs eternal in the off season. But since the pattern of hope and hopes dashed has repeated itself for 13 seasons, why must those who are skeptical about little bread and circus items the team puts up to keep hope alive at this time of year sit back and not comment?

I'll answer your question with another question -- what does this "skeptical" commenting accomplish? Reminding us of how disappointed we've been for the past decade+? I don't know about others, but I sure don't need the reminder. I'd rather keep that hope alive until they prove otherwise on the field.

We said the same thing about the "new attitude" of the new Gailey regime when he took the TVs out of the weight room. Things got worse actually.

Yes, the TV thing was silly, but I don't think it compares to gathering statistical data. Apples and oranges, really.

Well said.

I agree with Chandler#81's sentiments as well.

I'm not missing the point at all -- this is exactly the point. They can't sit back and say nothing or wait and see, they must immediately come in and "right the ship" by reminding everyone that this optimism is unfounded.

I'll answer your question with another question -- what does this "skeptical" commenting accomplish? Reminding us of how disappointed we've been for the past decade+? I don't know about others, but I sure don't need the reminder. I'd rather keep that hope alive until they prove otherwise on the field.

Last time I checked , this was a message board. People have the right to say what they want. You can be as positive as you like and they can be as negative as they want to be. I would say don't take it so personally. It's only a message board.

Last time I checked , this was a message board. People have the right to say what they want. You can be as positive as you like and they can be as negative as they want to be. I would say don't take it so personally. It's only a message board.

I haven't told them not to...I'm merely pointing out this is what occurs, and expressing my own curiosity at what drives them.

I'm not taking it personally at all; it's a healthy discussion with no name-calling.

Cheers and Go Bills.