Browns WR Naaman Roosevelt

I always like Namaan and thought that he was as good as a lot of guys that made the roster. He has good hands and found holes in coverage. I am happy for him and wouldn't be surprised if he contributed some.

The stark contrast between namaan and jones reactions.... Any reason for it beyond expectations of #2 vs fringe guy?

Edited by NoSaint

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a link to a BN story about what he had been working on. He may have shaved .2 sec off his 40 time. If true, I think he will stick as his sure hands will be a big asset to the Browns. As I recall, Little is very suspect in that area and the fans were on him alot.

His hands are top notch and I think he was more of an asset to the offense in 2010 and 2011 than TJ was last year.

http://www.buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20121029/SPORTS/121029088/1004

The stark contrast between namaan and jones reactions.... Any reason for it beyond expectations of #2 vs fringe guy?

I thought Namaan had an easier time getting open. I thought that he was more productive in limited chances and given the same opportunity I think that he would have been better. I am not saying that he is great but I believe that given the same chances as Jones he would have had more than 41 catches for 456 and 4tds (think those were Jones's numbers). Just think that he is a better player and can be a decent slot receiver. Kind of a poor man's Davone Bess

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Here's a link to a BN story about what he had been working on. He may have shaved .2 sec off his 40 time. If true, I think he will stick as his sure hands will be a big asset to the Browns. As I recall, Little is very suspect in that area and the fans were on him alot.

His hands are top notch and I think he was more of an asset to the offense in 2010 and 2011 than TJ was last year.

http://www.buffalone.../121029088/1004

See you can teach speed or they wouldn't need track coaches (and he really wasn't that slow). I'm rooting for him. Good guy and has the heart you need, be cool to see him really get a chance to show his talent.

The bottom line with these guys (Naaman and Donald) are that they were not consistent enough to be real producers. Getting open and creating a spot for the QB to throw to was not something they provided on a regular basis, so the team moved on. the fact that nobody really jumped on either player after they were released says something. Good luck to Naaman though, it would be nice to see him make a few plays for the Browns.

Besides having good hands, Naaman ran very good routes. I remember Fitz saying that of all the Bills wideouts, Naaman was the one guy he could always count on to be in the right place at the right time.

There have been players that through hard work have improved their quickness, speed and strength enough that they went from fringe NFLer to having a decent career.

Hopefully this will be the case with Naaman.

I won't be surprised if Naaman makes the final 53 in Cleveland. I think they're on the right track and are putting something together over there accross the lake. Same goes for Nelson.

Little and Gordon have 1 & 2 locked down. They traded for Bess and now have about 5 other receivers that are north of 6'2"

Their roster could have 2 former Bills at WR, lol. Little, Gordon, Bess, Nelson & Roosevelt. I'd take that receiving core...

Obviously this hinges upon the play of Weeden and the health of Richardson, but I like what Lombardi has done over there, especially putting together a pretty good coaching staff.

Buffalo will always be #1 to me but, as you can tell, I have a soft spot for Cleveland.

Edited by Armchair GM

• 3 weeks later...

From the CantonRep

• Browns wideouts David Nelson and Naaman Roosevelt both went to camp with the Bills last summer. Nelson won a starting job but blew out a knee in the season opener. Roosevelt was cut Aug. 31. Roosevelt has been conspicuous in practice this week, showing some veteran savvy and great hands. Nelson has struggled to make it back from knee surgery and is not expected to play against the Lions

Read more: http://www.cantonrep.com/browns/x1592818973/Browns-notebook-Banner-scolds-Kosar-for-comments-on-Rams#ixzz2bzrKEZCy

From dawgsbynature,com

1. Brownies: Mayor Frank Jackson was in attendance and talked with Browns owner Jimmy Haslam. ... WR Travis Benjamin caught a long pass by QB Brandon Weeden. ... WR Naaman Roosevelt has reportedly been making some very athletic catches in camp lately. ... Just like the previous week, the Browns had a Lions helmet on one of the blocking sleds this week. ... The Browns were not in full pads again.

From Vic Carucci @ clevelandbrowns.com

For the second day in a row, wide receiver Naaman Roosevelt put on a show by catching the ball well. One of his receptions was for a 20-yard touchdown on a nice pass from Brian Hoyer.

If you watched Roosevelt at UB, this is no surprise. The guy has velcro hands. He would not be fast enough for Marrone's Bills but I hope he sticks with the Browns.

PTR

If you watched Roosevelt at UB, this is no surprise. The guy has velcro hands. He would not be fast enough for Marrone's Bills but I hope he sticks with the Browns.

PTR

Did you check out the link in post 23? If accurate, Naaman is more of a 4.4 WR now rather than a 4.6 sec.

Naaman is a Buffalo guy so he gets the benefit of many favorable appraisals here but I go further with this. Every dropped third down pass that would have converted a first down is nearly the same as as turnover. Every incorrect route run is a potential interception.

Buffalo's offense last year suffered when TJ Graham got more playing time due to injuries. I'd rather have a WR with the utmost in reliability rather than one with a supposedly higher ceiling. I'd love for Naaman to get a chance to prove me right.

Did you check out the link in post 23? If accurate, Naaman is more of a 4.4 WR now rather than a 4.6 sec.

If Naaman is now clocked in at 4.4 (if accurate) he's 0.19 faster than Jerry Rice was. If this is really accurate, then shaving off 0.2 is quite a feat! He has Velcro hands and runs great routes. Naaman is two inches shorter than Rice though and I haven't yet found what his leaping ability is compared to the former All Star. I wish Naaman the best and wouldn't want to discount him. What's the most important thing though is that it seems he does not discount himself.