Are the Bills/Stevie gonna regret this photo posted on FB?

Because it's another instance in a series of ongoing antics. It's not coincidence at this point, the guy is clearly committed to this jokester persona. Problem is, the joke is on us fans. Because while he's laughing all the way to the bank, and while he thinks he's the cutest thing under the sun, we're the ones who have to suffer through losing season after losing season.

Personally I put more blame for the Bills' losing on their substandard quarterback play and their atrocious defense, than I put on their only WR who produces consistently year-to-year.

I understand he had a huge drop against Pittsburgh (the play still pisses me off every time I think about it) but there is no evidence that his appreciation for humor was the reason he dropped that pass. For years they said Peyton Manning "couldn't win the big one." Johnson was 24 years old at the time of that play. Pressure becomes easier to face the more you face it.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think getting rid of him for a shirt he wore at some time (maybe not even recently) is a big over reaction.

What he does off the field, no matter how embarrassing, is his business as long as he can still play the games.

However the on field stupidity that costs the team definitely has to go.

And it has. Not once last year did he do anything on the field detrimental to the team. (I'm agreeing with you so don't take this as a slight :) )

Because it's another instance in a series of ongoing antics. It's not coincidence at this point, the guy is clearly committed to this jokester persona. Problem is, the joke is on us fans. Because while he's laughing all the way to the bank, and while he thinks he's the cutest thing under the sun, we're the ones who have to suffer through losing season after losing season.

I think this is going a little too far. It seems as though you're heaping all the blame of our losing seasons on SJ. I don't believe the blame falls squarely on any one person, let alone SJ. SJ has done nothing but produce year after year. Is he the top WR1 in the league, no, but he can run with the best of them, save for maybe Megatron (but who's in his class anyway?). This seems like a case of misplaced blame. Do you have a personal vendetta against him? Did he do something to you? He's just having some fun. As long as he's not breaking the law, i'll enjoy his antics. They're fun and light hearted. Also, Stevie is a great ambassador of Bills. I've never seen him say a single bad thing, only offer glowing reviews and wears his allegence on his sleeve. I love me some Stevie.

Stevie should not be putting on clothes at all. Every minute spent picking out and putting on an outfit is another minute he should have been watching film or working out. For shame Stevie.

Edited by biglukes

And it has. Not once last year did he do anything on the field detrimental to the team. (I'm agreeing with you so don't take this as a slight :) )

Exactly, he's been a model player on the field since his first breakout year.

Stevie should not be putting on clothes at all. Every minute spent picking out and putting on an outfit is another minute he should have been watching film or working out. For shame Stevie.

...and none of the showering or grooming...who does he think he is?

I think this is going a little too far. It seems as though you're heaping all the blame of our losing seasons on SJ. I don't believe the blame falls squarely on any one person, let alone SJ. SJ has done nothing but produce year after year. Is he the top WR1 in the league, no, but he can run with the best of them, save for maybe Megatron (but who's in his class anyway?). This seems like a case of misplaced blame. Do you have a personal vendetta against him? Did he do something to you? He's just having some fun. As long as he's not breaking the law, i'll enjoy his antics. They're fun and light hearted. Also, Stevie is a great ambassador of Bills. I've never seen him say a single bad thing, only offer glowing reviews and wears his allegence on his sleeve. I love me some Stevie.

Vendetta might be a bit strong but yes he does have an issue with Stevie. That is what I am subscribing his "anger" in this thread to - at least his death by a thousand papercuts comment would lead me to believe so.

I'm looking at it as a father of a 10-year-old. And my son would likely not get it. He might see the "F" word in there, but he wouldn't understand the "69," part. Regardless, it's irresponsible as a parent, in my opinion.

Actors are portraying someone else, whether it's fiction or non-fiction. Athletes are themselves.

Musicians often swear/do inappropriate things in order to entertain their fans. Madonna, for example, raised children while taking the stage in underwear. I view that as different, too.

Stevie Johnson was being Stevie Johnson. No one paid money to see that picture. His value as a football player doesn't go up with off-the-field attention.

I just think he crossed an unnecessary line this time. Again, I say, I have no problem with it, personally. I'm just saying why it was the wrong thing for him to do.

I respect your opinion & sounds like you're a great dad. Could be a generational thing (not sure how old you are) but there are different styles to be being a parent. As sad as it is to say, SJ just being in the same household as kids & their mother puts them ahead of the game.

Money doesn't mean everything but his kids are likely to have a much better life than he did growing up. And as a dad, isn't that what you want?

The shirt doesn't bother me in the least but I guess it's not totally appropriate. But (not you) the faux outrage for a guy who is one of the best players & hasn't been in any real trouble is a bit over the top IMO. SJ is probably the coolest part about the Bills since the SB years.

Exactly, he's been a model player on the field since his first breakout year.

...and none of the showering or grooming...who does he think he is?

And don't even get me started on the time he had the audacity to take his kids to the Buffalo zoo on an off day during minicamp. Burned a whole afternoon being a good father. That's not being a good role model, wearing bland clothing is. I can't believe he doesn't know that. How immature.

And don't even get me started on the time he had the audacity to take his kids to the Buffalo zoo on an off day during minicamp. Burned a whole afternoon being a good father. That's not being a good role model, wearing bland clothing is. I can't believe he doesn't know that. How immature.

Any player who doesn't have a flattop and a suit disgusts me.

I respect your opinion & sounds like you're a great dad. Could be a generational thing (not sure how old you are) but there are different styles to be being a parent. As sad as it is to say, SJ just being in the same household as kids & their mother puts them ahead of the game.

Money doesn't mean everything but his kids are likely to have a much better life than he did growing up. And as a dad, isn't that what you want?

The shirt doesn't bother me in the least but I guess it's not totally appropriate. But (not you) the faux outrage for a guy who is one of the best players & hasn't been in any real trouble is a bit over the top IMO. SJ is probably the coolest part about the Bills since the SB years.

I wish you'd stop making the opposition out to be crabbier than we are. "Outrage?" C'mon, let's not resort to hyperbole to help ourselves make a point.

I wish you'd stop making the opposition out to be crabbier than we are. "Outrage?" C'mon, let's not resort to hyperbole to help ourselves make a point.

Be honest: anything SJ does, you jump all over it. Most issues I agree with you on, but you seem to go over the top when it evolves Stevie. You're not James Hardy & a bit jealous that SJ is having the career you should have had?

Be honest: anything SJ does, you jump all over it. Most issues I agree with you on, but you seem to go over the top when it evolves Stevie. You're not James Hardy & a bit jealous that SJ is having the career you should have had?

I jump on the Stevie instances with increasing zeal, yes. Why? Because they KEEP HAPPENING.

Yep. The most important thing about this to me, as a Bills fan, is that it has nothing to do with the games. And that's because it's not a big deal, in the grand scheme of things. And to your earlier point. The Pouncey brothers crossed an entirely different line and are a couple of scum bags. Stevie isn't remotely close to that.

I don't get it. Who does this offend? How does this display immaturity?

A shirt?! With *gasp* a swear word! I bet the bills pr department has much more to do with this picture being selected than Stevie. That said did anybody else miss the big deal until it was pointed out to them?

Are you familiar with the phrase "social norms?" The shirt is college kid funny; it's not what you expect out of a mature adult -- particularly not one who is supposed to be a veteran leader of your team.

You won't find an individual alive who thinks it is more of a waste of time and energy to censor "bad words" than I do. The arbitrariness of deciding we can't say S-H-!-T or F-U-H-K is the height of ridiculousness. That said, it's the world we live in, and it's the way in which people in the public spotlight are expected to behave.

Again -- the shirt is humorous, in a sophomoric way. Stevie should realize it's not the thing to wear if he is going to be photographed. My point earlier in the thread is only that Stevie seems to make these decisions the "wrong" way more often than not.

And you are absolutely correct -- whomever in the Bills social media department put that photo up should be out of a job.

I agree for the most part but we saw nothing last year with him on the field. In fact, he was pretty boring & kinda disappointing with how tame he was.

But given how exciting this team has been, lets neuter any player that dare bring some flair and swag to this team. Blue Collar Buffalo hates style!

Maybe its just me, but I'd rather have him make the game exciting by making big plays instead of "style". All the dancing and prancing and t-shirt printing does nothing for me.

Are you familiar with the phrase "social norms?" The shirt is college kid funny; it's not what you expect out of a mature adult -- particularly not one who is supposed to be a veteran leader of your team.

You won't find an individual alive who thinks it is more of a waste of time and energy to censor "bad words" than I do. The arbitrariness of deciding we can't say S-H-!-T or F-U-H-K is the height of ridiculousness. That said, it's the world we live in, and it's the way in which people in the public spotlight are expected to behave.

Again -- the shirt is humorous, in a sophomoric way. Stevie should realize it's not the thing to wear if he is going to be photographed. My point earlier in the thread is only that Stevie seems to make these decisions the "wrong" way more often than not.

And you are absolutely correct -- whomever in the Bills social media department put that photo up should be out of a job.

I disagree with your assessment that this is not a "social norm". It depends in what social group you're attributing this to. Do you think there are no other grown ups out there that wear shirts that can be constured as inappropriate? In that group of people, it would be socially acceptable. Your assertion is that in your social norm, this is a violation. Each person has his or her own idea of a social norm, its completely subjective.

I disagree with your assessment that this is not a "social norm". It depends in what social group you're attributing this to. Do you think there are no other grown ups out there that wear shirts that can be constured as inappropriate? In that group of people, it would be socially acceptable. Your assertion is that in your social norm, this is a violation. Each person has his or her own idea of a social norm, its completely subjective.

In what group of professional adults is it a "social norm" to wear USS FUHKMORE CV-69 shirts? I'll give you hip-hop artists, but that's not what Stevie is first and foremost.

By the way, they wouldn't be social norms if everybody did their own thing.

You're making a false equivalent.

Adults who wear tacky and "offensive" clothes aren't public figures. They don't go to photo shoots, they don't make public appearances.