Incredibly sad story in my small town

boyst

Absolutely horrible. Nothing worse than the death of a young child. How exactly did she get electrocuted?

I have no idea. I guess the power line was close enough to the pool that it put current in the ground. When she grabbed the ladder to come out it got her, bonded her to it. Two other girls climbed out the side and were fine. The earlier report said the girls said the pool felt funny and the coach told them to get out.

http://myfox8.com/20...ghborhood-pool/

http://www.digtriad....-As-Happy-Child

A power line snapped about fifty feet away from the pool. The electricity traveled through the ground and sent a high voltage current through the water. The president of Brookside Swim Club, Julie Rhodes, told WFMY News 2 people at the pool heard a big "pop" and saw a power line near the road in front of the swim club fall in the parking lot.

"Cows have been electrocuted by lightning when they weren't even struck by it...I've heard of cases where they are gathered under a tree in a thunderstorm. Lightning hits the tree, runs down and radiates out through the ground just like this wire did. The difference in voltage between their front and back legs produces enough current that it kills them."
Edited by jboyst62

Couldn't even read the whole thing because my son will be 11 in March. God bless these people. And every time I leave my son for any period of time; before school, when I leave for work, when he goes to play with his friends, when he goes to bed - he always gets an "I love you," and a kiss.

I'm 42 and I still tell my parents I love them every day and kiss them goodbye every time I leave them.

Wow... How terribly sad and preventable. No way that should have failed and played out like that, IMO. Lawsuit? Something doesn't seem kosher about how things were grounded/bonded... Especially in close proximity to a (especially a public) pool... I wonder where the disconnect was so the rescuers could do their job safely... Amazing, nobody else got zapped trying to save her! My prayers go out...

Wow... How terribly sad and preventable. No way that should have failed and played out like that, IMO. Lawsuit? Something doesn't seem kosher about how things were grounded/bonded... Especially in close proximity to a (especially a public) pool... I wonder where the disconnect was so the rescuers could do their job safely... Amazing, nobody else got zapped trying to save her! My prayers go out...

Prayers and blame. Good for you.

Prayers and blame. Good for you.

True... Yet, totally preventable if that line was properly bonded. Yes, I am gonna blame. It shouldn't have happened... Well @ least the jump between the ground and the metal conduit/pool. It is unacceptable and sad that a 11 year old girl died in this manner. This isn't the middle east... Where oue good soldiers are getting electrocuted taking hot showers (bet you never heard of those stories) on base. This is NOT a case where we just say: In Sha Allah! and be done with it.

Yes... Someone is to blame in a case like this. And yes prayers go out. Now don't let something like this happen again and learn. There is no reason why that current wasn't bonded better to ground.

Sorry for getting political... This sh*t (poor electrical standards) touches closes to home...

Play nice....

This isn't a PPP thread.

Sorry Bill. You never want to hear a story like this... It makes me mad and of course very sad... This is not a case about "God willing." I can't accept that.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

True... Yet, totally preventable if that line was properly bonded. Yes, I am gonna blame. It shouldn't have happened... Well @ least the jump between the ground and the metal conduit/pool. It is unacceptable and sad that a 11 year old girl died in this manner. This isn't the middle east... Where oue good soldiers are getting electrocuted taking hot showers (bet you never heard of those stories) on base. This is NOT a case where we just say: In Sha Allah! and be done with it.

Yes... Someone is to blame in a case like this. And yes prayers go out. Now don't let something like this happen again and learn. There is no reason why that current wasn't bonded better to ground.

Sorry for getting political... This sh*t (poor electrical standards) touches closes to home...

Sorry Bill. You never want to hear a story like this... It makes me mad and of course very sad... This is not a case about "God willing." I can't accept that.

Sometimes horrible things happen, I don't think that needing to force blame is the first thing people should be focused on. And you really shouldn't pretend you know what "stories" I've heard. I've been to war in the middle east, have you?

Sometimes horrible things happen, I don't think that needing to force blame is the first thing people should be focused on. And you really shouldn't pretend you know what "stories" I've heard. I've been to war in the middle east, have you?

In this case, the blame needs to be squarely leveled...

No. But since you have been there... You probably know about the rash of elcectrocutions of American soldiers in Iraq... While taking hot showers. Seems hot water tanks don't get properly grounded there. My boss was QA during some of the problems. The Iraqis local practice was to think like many here do here. Ground? Earth? In Sha Allah! Progress! Foward! No way this should happen to our soldiers and 11 year olds!