Mariano Rivera's entrance in the All-Star Game

The Poojer

I like how he is meeting with some of the "behind the scenes" folks on his last pass through the cities. Classy.

This is my favorite part of his "world tour." And he is genuine about it, too. He really is pure class.

I like that the game does mean something. The Pro Bowl means nothing and look at what it's turned into. Granted the game was somewhat boring, but as a former pitcher it's nice to see great pitching dominate.

I hate what it means. Are you realling going to base home field advantage in the WS on an exhibition game. Seriously?? Dumbest move ever.

Bull. The guy is one of the most dominant pitchers to ever step on the mound and he's a perfect representative for what professional athletes should be. The fact that he played in the game's largest market is more of a burden for him than a plus because he's done what he's done under a huge microscope.

Mariano Rivera is everything we're supposed to like about sports.

He is, with the mild caveat that *any* closer's true impact on the game is quite a bit less than it's usually made out to be. Still, he's a no-doubt HOFer who has contributed greatly to some excellent teams in high-leverage situations.

I hate what it means. Are you realling going to base home field advantage in the WS on an exhibition game. Seriously?? Dumbest move ever.

I didn't say I agree with basing home field advantage on it, but I do like that it has importance to the players.

I didn't say I agree with basing home field advantage on it, but I do like that it has importance to the players.

The MLB All-Star Game has always held importance to the players and fans...moreso than the all-star game in any other sport. The homefield advantage thing was yet another ridiculous Bud Selig move in an attempt to mitigate the embarrassment of a tie game. Never should have happened.

Stirring tribute. Entering to 'Sandman' in an opposing stadium was definitely memorable!

As a Yankee fan, I don't WANT him to retire! He's been great again, so far!

I'm hoping he changes his mind!

The SF Giants ride a hot streak into the playoffs, and because 30 guys who don't play for them had a good exhibition game, they get home field advantage? :wacko:

It is because it is the major LEAGUES. The leagues play a different set of rules. A 160+ game season is not meant to have playoffs... The season IS the playoff. Only the two best teams with their league's best season record should meet in the World Series. IMO, There is is no other fair way to decide who gets home field, unless they all played each other in inter-league equally in each stadium... And then decide home field based on head go head record OR head to head vs. the other league. So leave it up to the 30 who don't play for the WS teams... Since it is a LEAGUE bragging right.

Sorry for sounding like a purist... The whining gets to me.

Becuase the game has become an abortion of what it used to be. There should be no inter-league play. No "playoffs" unless the top teams in each league are tied @ the end of the season. A long season is the playoff. I don't understand why people think teams should skate in with "do overs." It must be a sign of the times. Wild Cards are even a bigger joke @ giving more teams a crack. One builds their team for 162 games... No way should it come down to a 5 game series! How else are they going to fairly decide home field in two distinct leagues? Records mean nothing, they are two different leagues... Are we forgetting that?

It is because it is the major LEAGUES. The leagues play a different set of rules. A 160+ game season is not meant to have playoffs... The season IS the playoff. Only the two best teams with their league's best season record should meet in the World Series. IMO, There is is no other fair way to decide who gets home field, unless they all played each other in inter-league equally in each stadium... And then decide home field based on head go head record OR head to head vs. the other league. So leave it up to the 30 who don't play for the WS teams... Since it is a LEAGUE bragging right.

Sorry for sounding like a purist... The whining gets to me.

If you're such a purist, tell me, were all those years in which it was decided by record in actual games somehow bucking tradition? It's much less fair for a team that squeaked into the playoffs to get home field advantage because Max Scherzer, Mariano Rivera and Chris Sale pitched a great inning or two apiece. I seriously doubt Chris Sale is going to be sitting at home bragging to his National League friends about the All Star Game on Twitter when Detroit has home field advantage in the world series. Sorry, this "league bragging rights" business is nuts.

For all the complaining about whining, it sounds like you're whining about the wild card and other changes made to the system, which is probably a fair critique.

Becuase the game has become an abortion of what it used to be. There should be no inter-league play. No "playoffs" unless the top teams in each league are tied @ the end of the season. A long season is the playoff. I don't understand why people think teams should skate in with "do overs." It must be a sign of the times. Wild Cards are even a bigger joke @ giving more teams a crack. One builds their team for 162 games... No way should it come down to a 5 game series! How else are they going to fairly decide home field in two distinct leagues? Records mean nothing, they are two different leagues... Are we forgetting that?

I agree with this; wild cards in baseball are a joke. There are too many teams to have only one division per league like they did in the 60s and before, but there was nothing wrong with two divisions per league with an LCS. There was no reason other than $ to justify changing from that format.

classy tribute for a classy man. Mo is the greatest reliever ever, and he did it with pure class. I am convinced Mo can pitch the next 10 years and still be dominant. His cutter is practically unhittable, and he throws with a perfect motion, so he never gets repetive stress injuries to his shoulder/elbow/wrist. They always said Mo was best athlete on the Yanks, even in his older years. And a younger Mo- I have never seen anyone break more bats. First ballot hall of famer and a pure pleasure for this Yankee fan to watch his whole career.

some very cool perspectives on his pitches

http://www.nytimes.com/video/2010/06/30/sports/1247468158551/how-mariano-rivera-dominates-hitters.html

classy tribute for a classy man. Mo is the greatest reliever ever, and he did it with pure class. I am convinced Mo can pitch the next 10 years and still be dominant. His cutter is practically unhittable, and he throws with a perfect motion, so he never gets repetive stress injuries to his shoulder/elbow/wrist. They always said Mo was best athlete on the Yanks, even in his older years. And a younger Mo- I have never seen anyone break more bats. First ballot hall of famer and a pure pleasure for this Yankee fan to watch his whole career.

Okay. I mean, he's good. But he's no Oil Can Boyd.

If you're such a purist, tell me, were all those years in which it was decided by record in actual games somehow bucking tradition? It's much less fair for a team that squeaked into the playoffs to get home field advantage because Max Scherzer, Mariano Rivera and Chris Sale pitched a great inning or two apiece. I seriously doubt Chris Sale is going to be sitting at home bragging to his National League friends about the All Star Game on Twitter when Detroit has home field advantage in the world series. Sorry, this "league bragging rights" business is nuts.

For all the complaining about whining, it sounds like you're whining about the wild card and other changes made to the system, which is probably a fair critique.

True. You can deconstruct everything.

I agree with this; wild cards in baseball are a joke. There are too many teams to have only one division per league like they did in the 60s and before, but there was nothing wrong with two divisions per league with an LCS. There was no reason other than $ to justify changing from that format.

Yep. Fair enough... I have no problem w/the leagues doing 2 divisions and an LCS. Crying out loud... Every team plays 6 days a week! Isn't that enough?