Crime in the NFL (pretty charts included)

DATE PLAYER OFFENSE July 24, 2011 WR Paul Hubbard DUI; hit officer with car May 14, 2009 FB Corey McIntyre Indecent exposure; fondled self outside woman's home April 11, 2009 S Donte Whitner Disorderly conduct; stun gunned outside nightclub Feb. 11, 2009 RB Marshawn Lynch Gun possession; had loaded gun in car Jan. 1, 2009 S Ko Simpson Hindering police; interfered in friend's arrest May 31, 2008 RB Marshawn Lynch Hit and run; hit woman in SUV Feb. 17, 2008 WR Roscoe Parrish DUI Aug. 5, 2007 DE Anthony Hargrove Harassment; hit officer outside nightclub Nov. 5, 2006 S Donte Whitner Harassment; during domestic dispute Sept. 10, 2003 WR Rodney Wright DWI July 13, 2002 WR Charlie Rogers Assault, making terroristic threats July 2, 2002 WR Rodney Wright Hit and run June 26, 2002 TE Sheldon Jackson Marijuana possession Oct. 26, 2001 RB Travis Henry Sexual misconduct; tried to sleep with 15-year-old girl

NoSaint already mentioned that the full list was in the link so I'm not sure what all the struggling to remember stuff is all about.

Fixed.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah he was wrongly accused and I've corrected others on this several times… people who almost seem to want to misrepresent what happened.

But it seemed right to copy and paste the list as it appeared in the link.

It doesn't matter if he was wrongly accused. Was he arrested? If so, that is all that matters. Negative attention was brought to the team. You can't unring a bell. The incident still counts against the Bills' arrest tally.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

It doesn't matter if he was wrongly accused. Was he arrested? If so, that is all that matters. Negative attention was brought to the team. You can't unring a bell. The incident still counts against the Bills' arrest tally.

No kidding.

That's why I left the list intact.

The surprise factor about NFL arrests is the high earnings potential of the guys being arrested.

We associate base salaries of $800,000/yr with designer suits, $5,000 watches, and fat investment portfolios, not with violence and dimwit lawbreaking

Really not terribly surprising at all.

These guys have taken repeated blows to the head from the time they were young kids.

From the time they were in high school, if not before, they have been coddled and treated with kid gloves because they were good at a sport that is overtly very violent.

They are by and large not intelligent individuals.

What surprises me is that there aren't more arrests. But maybe some players continue to get special treatment from law enforcement as well.

I'm sure this will be taken the wrong way by some, but I would be interested to see an ethnicity breakdown per position.

is the clear assumption that QB, TE, and OL are the whitest positions what you are getting at?

i will say Qb is the smallest position group (2-3 guys per roster), followed by TE (3 per roster) which likely accounts for a lot of the skew.

ill say ethnicities aside, it looks like it kind of follows with the wonderlic in the sense that good scores tie to low arrests, and bad scores to more arrests (coupled with an adjustment for size of the position groups) and i bet youd get a pretty good amount of the variation accounted for. guys that arent the sharpest but run real fast or are huge and aggressive get funneled to certain positions. those guys are probably more likely to be arrested.

1. Offensive Tackle - 26

2. Center - 25

3. Quarterback - 24

4. Guard - 23

5. Tight End - 22

6. Safety - 19

7. Linebacker - 19

8. Cornerback - 18

9. Wide receiver - 17

10. Fullback - 17

11. Halfback - 16

Edited by NoSaint

is the clear assumption that QB, TE, and OL are the whitest positions what you are getting at?

i will say Qb is the smallest position group (2-3 guys per roster), followed by TE (3 per roster) which likely accounts for a lot of the skew.

It is my assumption, yes, that the positions have less white players as the crime numbers go up. I was just saying I'd be interested in knowing if my assumption could be proved/disproved by actual statistics.

I'm not trying to say that white players are less likely to get in trouble with the law than black players because of the color of their skin.

I'm simply stating that, based on that chart, it appears (to me) that white players get in trouble with the law less than black players do.

I'd be more interested in their financial background than their ethnicity. Kids who come from poor areas are more likely to be involved in crime. It just so happens that minorities have been disenfranchised and largely make up the population of our nation's poorer neighborhoods.

I'd be more interested in their financial background than their ethnicity. Kids who come from poor areas are more likely to be involved in crime. It just so happens that minorities have been disenfranchised and largely make up the population of our nation's poorer neighborhoods.

while that has some truth i think the reputations for each position intellectually coupled with the volume of guys at the position is the simplest explanation, no research needed.

DBs have the most arrests and also tends to be a "you arent too sharp but you run real fast, just stay on that guy" type of position (especially at a young age. Qb tends to require your smartest guys, and there are 2-3 of them instead of 9-10. TE likewise has 3 guys and they have to be sharp enough to be involved in the running and passing game more than most. if you have a big guy that can handle a variety of assignments they will often go O line, instead of d line. linebacker likewise has a lot of guys that have higher IQ to make reads in both the run and pass, and call plays... etc....

it looks like it kind of follows with the wonderlic in the sense that good scores tie to low arrests, and bad scores to more arrests (coupled with an adjustment for size of the position groups)

My first thought.

while that has some truth i think the reputations for each position intellectually coupled with the volume of guys at the position is the simplest explanation, no research needed.

I wasn't responding to position discussions, more so the race insinuations. Obviously volume comes into play, as these charts are total stats, not rate stats.

Great job on this - I enjoyed looking at this - I thought the Pats would be way higher than us - I thought Travis Henry only got in trouble for not paying child support?

Nope, the dirty secret is we got him on the cheap when he burned through his rookie contract money partying and paying for the legal ramifications. Off the field he was as risky as anyone, even from the get-go, but cause he was flat broke his extension was peanuts... He simply had no choice but to take the offer. After a 1400 yard season we gave him a 300k bonus and tacked a year on the end of the deal at 1.2m if I remember correctly.

It also explains the drafting of mcgahee (or atleast the perceived need for a starting back even with Henry on the roster).

With Henry adding to the underage girls, and lack of child support with being described as being behind a "ruthless" cocaine trafficking scheme....

Dude was bad news. And that's only what we know....

Nope, the dirty secret is we got him on the cheap when he burned through his rookie contract money partying and paying for the legal ramifications. Off the field he was as risky as anyone, even from the get-go, but cause he was flat broke his extension was peanuts... He simply had no choice but to take the offer. After a 1400 yard season we gave him a 300k bonus and tacked a year on the end of the deal at 1.2m if I remember correctly.

It also explains the drafting of mcgahee (or atleast the perceived need for a starting back even with Henry on the roster).

With Henry adding to the underage girls, and lack of child support with being described as being behind a "ruthless" cocaine trafficking scheme....

Dude was bad news. And that's only what we know....

Travis Henry trivia:

* Has more children (11) by more baby-mammas (10) than points on the Wonderlic (7).

* 5th leading rusher in Bills history (just behind Fred Jackson and just ahead of Wray Carlton).

* His place of birth wouldn't suggest a career as Buffalo Bill: Frostproof, Florida.