Who's your top 3 crucial 2013 players?

A QB can carry a bad defense. Fitz didn't help the defense out much either.

Maybe....if he's Manning, Brady, Rogers or Brees (only one of whom has ever won a SB with a medicore defense). And to assume the Bills have anyone near that caliber at QB is absurd.

The Bills go nowhere near the playoffs if their defense doesn't improve significantly.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to go at this a bit differently. I think the three crucial "players" on this year's team (I'm admittedly taking liberties with the definition of player) are Marrone, Hackett, and Pettine.

I'm on record stating I believe the Bills had/have enough talent to compete for a playoff spot; it's going to be all about how well this new staff implement their systems and manage the game.

I agree with this

I share this sentiment, and also have, on record.

I maintain: If we had a defensive coordinator operating at even 50% competency last year, Fitz/Gailey are both still with the Bills organization. They were not the problem. It was our defensive scheme (or lack thereof) and execution (or lack thereof)--both of which I credit at least 75% to the coaches (or lack thereof)

I'm not sure having Fitz/Gaily still both with the Bills is a good thing. Gailey admittedly paid little attention to the defense and Fitz, well he is a nice back up. A role he would not play again with the Bills.

Even at just 3, it's not too hard to pick em. EJ Manuel / Kolb - either one, whoever our QB is will carry the promise of this team on his shoulders. Look at just about any good team (Denver, NE, New Orleans, and even Baltimore, I'd say) and if you remove their QB, you have a team that MIGHT make the playoffs, instead of being a virtual lock. You put Peyton Manning on this Bills team, and there's a good chance we go12-4. Next is Alonzo. Every good defense needs to have that strength up the middle. This kid needs to have a good year for our Defense to play well. Bradham, too, for that matter, but I go Alonzo here because I think he's going to be a stud and really be a major force in what I believe will be a very good defense. Finally, I say Woods. We know what we'll get from Spiller, Jackson, and Johnson. However, this offense can take a major step forward if we have that second WR who can make plays and demand constant attention. You add a 2nd dynamic WR to good QB play with Spiller and Stevie, and you have a offense that can rank in the top 10. (BTW - if this post comes across staggered, or choppy, my apologies. My enter / return key doesn't work on this site anymore. It works on Word, or other programs, but just not here. So, I have to use the space bar to advance a line to the next line.)

Its tough to argue with any of the above. I'll throw in "whomever plays TE" though. Its an important position where we've shown flashes of brilliance but not on a consistent basis.

I hope to see good blocking ability at the TE position as well. Production at the TE position will be an important piece of EJ's development whenever that may begin.

And ask him to show you his SB ring while you're at it lol

Right. Like his defense was a liability in 2009 like it was last season.

That's what I love about this place. The exception proves the rule every time.

GO BILLS!!!

All the way to the Super Bowl. Yes they were opportunistic with a lot of key take aways, but they ranked 20th in points given up and 25th in yards.

You can throw gross yards out as any kind of reliable indicator of how effective a defense is. And while points against is telling, nobody can suggest the Saints defense in 2009 was bad, let alone putrid, like it was last season. And we can't discount "opportunistic" either. Good defenses create turnovers and more opportunities for the offense.

Fact is, one of the best QBs in the game could not compensate for one of the worst defenses. History bears that out, not just Brees and the Saints last season.

GO BILLS!!!

You can throw gross yards out as any kind of reliable indicator of how effective a defense is. And while points against is telling, nobody can suggest the Saints defense in 2009 was bad, let alone putrid, like it was last season. And we can't discount "opportunistic" either. Good defenses create turnovers and more opportunities for the offense.

Fact is, one of the best QBs in the game could not compensate for one of the worst defenses. History bears that out, not just Brees and the Saints last season.

GO BILLS!!!

Very good post. The Saints defense in 2009 was good enough, it forced lots of turnovers (Which gave a high octane offense more chances to score) and a lot of the yards and points that it gave up were when games were out of reach (Thus inflating their defensive totals). Brees could only do so much, you need some semblance of a defense to help carry the team even if your offense is great.

Very good post. The Saints defense in 2009 was good enough, it forced lots of turnovers (Which gave a high octane offense more chances to score) and a lot of the yards and points that it gave up were when games were out of reach (Thus inflating their defensive totals). Brees could only do so much, you need some semblance of a defense to help carry the team even if your offense is great.

Exactly. Some of these posts read like all you need is an HOF QB and the rest takes care of itself. While I certainly agree that having an HOF QB is the MOST IMPORTANT SINGLE ASPECT, it's always a symbiotic relationship between both sides of the ball. And a great offense (read: great QB) will force opposing offenses to be one-dimensional, which will make his defense that much more effective, like those Saints in 2009.

But my point initially, was that not even Brees and that dominant offense could overcome that bad of a defense last season. And no QB on the planet would have, either. The comparisons between Brees' defense in '09 and last season are short-sighted at best.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

Right. Like his defense was a liability in 2009 like it was last season.

That's what I love about this place. The exception proves the rule every time.

GO BILLS!!!

His defense was not very good in 2009, the only thing they got breaks on was opportunistic turnovers. And guess what, that had a lot to do with Drew Brees and the offense who were piling on points with ease and teams were constantly aging catch up and having to take chances which allowed for easier turnovers. However the D itself was porous and that team was carried by Brees and the offense.

Take any one player off that D and nothing changes. Switch Brees with say a decent to solid QB and that team would have struggled to even make the playoffs.

Exactly. Some of these posts read like all you need is an HOF QB and the rest takes care of itself. While I certainly agree that having an HOF QB is the MOST IMPORTANT SINGLE ASPECT, it's always a symbiotic relationship between both sides of the ball. And a great offense (read: great QB) will force opposing offenses to be one-dimensional, which will make his defense that much more effective, like those Saints in 2009.

But my point initially, was that not even Brees and that dominant offense could overcome that bad of a defense last season. And no QB on the planet would have, either. The comparisons between Brees' defense in '09 and last season are short-sighted at best.

GO BILLS!!!

Actually no one is saying that, and I don't think I've ever seen anyone say that. And the offense last year was not as good as the 09 Saints and they were missing one of the best offensive coaches in the league...so you're grossly exaggerating the situations to argue a point no one else is arguing.

GO BILLS!!!

I definitely agree with you that a great QB can win with a bad defense to a point. Brees won with a bottom half in the league defense. I don't think a QB can win with "one of the worst defenses" or a "putrid" defense. I also think you know what I meant, I didn't embellish. Fact is history bears out that you more often need one of the best QB's not necessarily one of the best defenses.

His defense was not very good in 2009, the only thing they got breaks on was opportunistic turnovers. And guess what, that had a lot to do with Drew Brees and the offense who were piling on points with ease and teams were constantly aging catch up and having to take chances which allowed for easier turnovers. However the D itself was porous and that team was carried by Brees and the offense.

Take any one player off that D and nothing changes. Switch Brees with say a decent to solid QB and that team would have struggled to even make the playoffs.

Actually no one is saying that, and I don't think I've ever seen anyone say that. And the offense last year was not as good as the 09 Saints and they were missing one of the best offensive coaches in the league...so you're grossly exaggerating the situations to argue a point no one else is arguing.

That's funny because I'm not the one that suggested Brees carried a putrid defense to the SB in '09, which is EXACTLY what exaggerating the situations is. Their '09 defense was no where near as terrible as last year's defense and that is the only point I've beed trying to make: even a QB as great as Brees couldn't compensate for a defense THAT bad. It wasn't CLOSE to that bad in '09.

GO BILLS!!!

I definitely agree with you that a great QB can win with a bad defense to a point. Brees won with a bottom half in the league defense. I don't think a QB can win with "one of the worst defenses" or a "putrid" defense. I also think you know what I meant, I didn't embellish. Fact is history bears out that you more often need one of the best QB's not necessarily one of the best defenses.

Of course history bears out the need of great QBs. That's a no-brainer. But look at the worst defenses in history and, regardless of WHO the QB was, he wasn't good enough to carry a team to a championship all by himself. And that's all I'm trying to say relative to Brees' situation LAST YEAR. I think the comparisons of the Saints defense between '09 and last year aren't even close.

GO BILLS!!!

QB

receivers that are not stevie and can be a threat to respect

MLBs stopping the run.

The true list is close and long BUT..

Most important, as mentioned sagely already, is the newfound coaching trio

Marrone

Hackett Pettine

I continue to think these guys are tuned up and NFL ready to roll .

Of course history bears out the need of great QBs. That's a no-brainer. But look at the worst defenses in history and, regardless of WHO the QB was, he wasn't good enough to carry a team to a championship all by himself. And that's all I'm trying to say relative to Brees' situation LAST YEAR. I think the comparisons of the Saints defense between '09 and last year aren't even close.

GO BILLS!!!

Did I compare the 09 defense to last years?

Did I compare the 09 defense to last years?

That's what it sounded like when you cited their '09 stats and Alpha chimed in with his reference about Brees' SB ring. Perhaps I just should have qualilfed my original post as it related to their defense last year. There is just no relevant comparison between those defenses.

GO BILLS!!!