What is the Longest you have been at one place of employment?

millbank

In 1975 I started working for company U in SE Ohio, then was transferred to NE Ohio and company E bought the division of company U that I worked for. Stayed there until 1988 when company E decided to send me to WV. Which in the long run was a good deal since the plant in NE Ohio has been closed for several years. Been in WV since 1988. In 2005 company G bought the WV plant and I have continued with them until now. I am in the lab and test materials in the ferroalloy industry. It is kinda funny that I am in the lab for 10 hours a day, since I generally disliked labs in college. So I have been working in the same field for 38 years.

As I moved along the public education career ladder from high school teacher to Superintendent of Schools I had occasion to move too many times. The impact mill speaks of could be uprooting family from schools, church and other relationships to the extent that when they are on their own later in life they don't actually have a "home town" to relate to as is the case with many families. Friends, familiar places, etc. are lost by moving from town to town/job to job.

23 years, 6 months, 5 days with a company outside Rochester. 9 months contract before that. Never Once called in sick. Laid off last December. Used to tell my co-workers "what we do isn't fun but it isn't work. landscaping, farming, that's work." I'm landscaping. now. i hate being right.

Edited by Steve O

As I mentioned 12 years at current job. When I worked in restaurants prior I worked at probably 20 places in 25 years.

Oh and I'll save you guys from racking your brains with witty remarks and say this.

I kept moving around because I got tired of cleaning the same fryolator. :rolleyes:

13 years. I wish I made more money, but I truly enjoy my work most of the time. We are a niche business and havent had much success in our attempts at diversification. No one else in the world does what we do, which is awesome, but it could hurt me if/when I have to hunt for a job in the future.

13 years. I wish I made more money, but I truly enjoy my work most of the time. We are a niche business and havent had much success in our attempts at diversification. No one else in the world does what we do, which is awesome, but it could hurt me if/when I have to hunt for a job in the future.

Same with my place of employment. We're a small niche factory that works with steel molds as well as plastic injection molding. Not many places in the country like ours, but with China stealing most of this business it's really tough to compete. We're keeping our head above water, but it's becoming tougher every year to survive.

8 years and that was working for family, but have been an artist for more than 30 now which is sort of a lot of work. I have had more than 40 job, jobs in my life (I have been in the new economy almost all my life it seems). But it is okay, makes me nervous at times about older age but I always seem to get by and be happy, so there is that.

35 years with United Airlines. I turned 55 and 3 weeks later they filed CH 11. Retired in 2003, they dumped our pensions into PBGC in 2004 :sick: , I had no idea what PBGC was, or that United could do such a thing when I decided to retire. Same thing happened to many WNY'er's in the Steel & Auto industries. So they go thru "Bankruptcy," emerge as the "new" United Airlines and suddenly have Billions to spend on new 787's & A-350's. :censored: WTF!!! I was blessed, found another job (56 years old) and have been there 9.5 so far. Hopefully I'll try to really retire in the next year or two with a small State Pension-unless they go broke too!.

so were you screwed out of your pension? Sorry I don't know what PBGC means

7 years for me at Raytheon. Got ill, dealt with it on job and then government pulled my clearance I had maintained off and on for 20+ years due to insomnia which investigator classified as 'mental illness' despite medical documentation and I lost my job. Told that if Raytheon had laid me off for same reason it is illegal but government can and did violate its own rules (one investigator stated that they ignore rules they do not agree with and put false statements on forms) and then cloaked it as 'clearance required for details' and told 'only appeal possible is internal and all attempts will be denied' making it impossible for me to work in same industry. Later found out that all details including customer who was supposed to be TS/SCI is available in security clearance file anyone with any ability to look up clearance information including personnel offices by people w/no clearances.

Oh and PBGC stands for Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation 'which protects the retirement incomes of more than 44 million American workers' and allows corporations to dump pension agreements made with employees for cents on the dollar with government providing pension benefits significantly less than originally promised.

So instead of something, even if it is pennies on the dollar. They should have got nothing?

That's what happens when companies go through bankruptsy. It's one of the reasons pension systems aren't generally viable. Don't like it? Too bad, you get what you bargain for; and sometimes what you inadvertantly bargain for if a failed pension system from a company that can't afford it's obligations.

That's what happens when companies go through bankruptsy. It's one of the reasons pension systems aren't generally viable. Don't like it? Too bad, you get what you bargain for; and sometimes what you inadvertantly bargain for if a failed pension system from a company that can't afford it's obligations.

So then he should get a free pass on his personal unsecured debt? No dragging him to court to get a judgement. Don't like? Don't offer the credit.

10 years at my current employer, one move internally. My plan right now is to be resigning from this job 7/1/2013 and moving onto a new chapter in my work life, something I like instead of just for money-